“Birthday lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Ross on Wye
“Birthday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Quite a find. The food was excellent and the service prompt and friendly. Lovely surroundings and just off the A40,but you are not aware of traffic. Would definitely recommend.

Visited January 2013

London, England, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Booked for a meal Saturday evening and turned up to be told that kitchen was closed. Hadn't been phoned beforehand to let us know about the problem. So no stars for customer service whatsoever. Who knows what the meal might have been like.

Rochester, England, United Kingdom
“A hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at this delightful resteraunt with rooms, we ate in every night and bitterly regretted going elsewhere for one evening! The suite was large with a huge bed, dressing room, shower and toilet and a large roll top bath on a platform,sheer luxury,tasteful decor and spotlessly clean.
The biggest surprise was the exquisite food,we did not expect Michelin star quality,food but that was precisely what we had. Matt the chef is a genius and a very lovely man,with no"cheffy" pretensions,in fact is very modest regarding his out standing talents.Every plate was a work of art assembled lovingly and beautifully. Nothing was too much trouble and we had a daily discussion with him regarding my vegetarian husband and my special diet for pancreatitis. Dudley said on the first evening"I don't remember eating food this wonderful" I could only agree! Everything from steak to fish and wonderful veloutes stunning jus, desserts to die for( especially banana Tarte Tatin) all served by attentive caring and knowledgable staff. Breakfast was also a gourmet experience I don't believe we have ever had home made baked beans before, wonderful! I really did not want to go home and we will certainly return again and again. Although I am reluctant to share how wonderful this place is( I want to keep it to myself!) I was so impressed that we have launched a web site ( Hubbards hidden gems) and this Diamond of a place will be our first offering
to those of you that enjoy something very special. We invite you to inform us of anywhere that deserves a similar accolade. We also offer advertising to establishments that meet our high expectations.If you think that you qualify please get in touch. Hubbshiddengems@aol.com

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ross-on-Wye
“A very pleasant evening, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We enjoyed our evening meal here. The welcome and service were excellent and the decor is very tasteful. The bar has lovely comfy sofas where you can have your aperitif and look at the menu, where the choice is good. It was nice to have an 'amuse bouche' and the bread rolls and rosemary dipping oil were beautifully presented as were all the courses.
However, we were rather surprised at the very small servings, especially given the prices. The plus side of this is that you feel like having three courses, even if, like me, you don't have a huge appetite. I usually have to make a very difficult choice between having a starter or a dessert. On this evening, we even shared a cheese course between the two of us and did not feel we'd eaten too much. The flavours were very pleasant, but on the mild side.
The wine by the glass was good quality. There was no Table d'Hote on offer so we had to chose from the A la Carte. The total bill for 3 1/2 courses each plus one large and 2 small glasses of wine and coffee with truffles was £115.
We'd come again, but would like to have the option of the Table d'Hote

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
lancs
“Lovely Christmas Day but need to promote more.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We recently came here for Christmas day Lunch at £75 each per person it would have been nice to have been informed in advance of all the little extras they provide as it really helps you appreciate that you are getting full value for your money.

On arrival we were greeted with smiles from the staff who offered to take our coats. We were then shown to the lounge and served champagne. There was also tins of chocolates available for those who wanted them. The restaurant was very spacious although Christmas decorations were very minimal. I am sure they could have added some more to create a more festive atmosphere without appearing OTT or cheesy.

The meal was advertised as three courses and you was asked to book your preferred meal in advance. Whilst I am sure this helps the restaurant provide a smooth service and reduces costs it does mean that should you prefer something different on the day you are not given the option to change which at £75 each would have been a bonus.

We were all given what appeared to be a cold aperitif of parsnip mouse. This was very nice and a pleasant surprise as it was not advertised as part of the meal. For starters we chose the soup and scallops and both were very enjoyable and we would have scored 7/10. We chose the turkey for our main meal and this was very nice and the staff couldnt do any more to ensure the meal was very nice. On first presentation the meal appeared to be very small and this was because the veg was only only provided half way through eating. I have to admit this was quite annoying as I would have preferred they had been brought in together rather than half way through the meal to improve overall enjoyment. The roast potatoes were a little bit of a let down but the rest of the meal was very enjoyable. Nevertheless we both scored 7/10 for the main course and felt this was the best Christmas day lunch we had eaten in a restaurant. For dessert we chose a fruit mix and the cheese and crackers, the crackers were home made but I was not given a choice of cheeses which was very disappointing. Whilst local there were some cheeses that I would have never eaten. The fruit mix was nothing special and so for dessert we are only going to score 6/10. The lunch was completed with coffe and minced pies that were very nice and was another added bonus that was not described in the orgiinal description. We were both very impressed and would definitely return again. Whilst I dont feel this hotel needs to promote it self much more I did feel it lost out by letting customers see all the extras you get as part of the Christmas lunch, the restaurant could have been a little more festive, the promotion of rooms for around £80 should have definitely been advertised as well as we would have definitely included them as part of our break. In conclusion this was a lovely restaurant, the staff provided a wonderful service and we will definitely return again.

• Visited December 2012