“Girls weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Salcombe
Cuisines: Bistro
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Funky relaxing atmosphere with a modern twist to the decoration colours and fixtures, a welcome warm place to come and eat relax and have a good experience.
Bath, United Kingdom
“Girls weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2015 NEW

Excellent restaurant. We were recommended this restaurant and it lived up to its reputation. Great food, great service and lovely atmosphere. Would definitely visit again!

• Visited April 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bath
“Top Notch all round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2015 via mobile

Booked a table after a recommendation, on a girls weekend in Salcombe. Only three words to describe, FAB U LOUS... Living in a city packed with restaurants, Bath, No 55 could give the best of them a run for their money. Great welcoming service from the minute we walked through the door, wonderful menu with outstanding food and mustn't forget the excellent wine. Thank you no.55, you were the icing on the cake for our lovely weekend. Would gladly have paid a much higher bill too....

Visited April 2015
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Good family run restaurant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2015

After a not so pleasant meal at another Salcombe restaurant, my partner and I were looking forward to this one due to the excellent reviews on TA. Pleased to report it was a lot better. Service was very nice at this Bistro style restaurant. It was busy, they were having trouble with their card machine and a choice or two was off the menu but they managed to serve us well. A little surprised there wasn’t more of a local produce focus on the unusually formatted menu but in general the food was good. This was simple, home made style cooking. My pork tasted a little over done, but I still ate it all. Other dishes were fine. I would prefer a little more choice on the wine menu but that’s just me. All in all it was good value.

• Visited April 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2015

Most disappointing!

Having read recent review we booked expecting a decent meal. whilst the food was edible it was lacking in quality ingredients.

Starters

The bread was stale, the oil and balsamic were of poor quality.

The whitetail was so so salty it was painful.

The main courses were not much better with the pork belly being seriously undercooked.

Didn't bother with desserts due to the above. Will not be returning.

cheryl19562009, Owner at No55, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Black58rover

Thank you for your comments which we have taken on board.

Its always the way that customers on visits to salcombe may not find the food to thier requirements but alas go away and then make comments to thier dislikes/ likes after that.

You had every opportunity to comment on your food on this evening but decided to go away weithout any comments and write this review later oh dear!

My husband the chef proprietor was around and in the restaurant that evening you were in and was talking to the other dinners, you made effort to comment as to your displeasure to him or the waiter Ed who was on that evening which is surprising as you were so unhappy!

Firstly you ate all your bread, starter and main other than the shallots! and that is probably why you had no room for a dessert!

Bread is fresh daily, balsamic is 5 year oak aged, olive oil is extra virgin say no more not sure what you expected!

We do not have white tail on the menu it is whitebait! from the sea and like anchovies it is a salty fish maybe a choice you should not of chosen! even though you ate it all!

Pork is slow braised not roasted we do not serve it with crackling (healthy option) its one of our best sellers and Chef Peter did brown it of for you!!!! so not sure where you are coming from on this one! please read the rest of the reviews regarding our pork belly slow braised!

I would appreciate you calling me, number available on the website and we would only be to happy to discuss this further! It was not your day and I apprerciate that this may not be what you as a person expected but that is your choice and the remainder of our reviews have been more than positive.

No mention of the service or the atmosphere! but our staff who are really commited would like to see you again soon!

No55 Salcombe.
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2015

I pre-booked No 55 on behalf of my walking group of 13 people for our second night in Salcombe. The owner, Cheryl, was extremely helpful and accommodating with this request and even offered to open especially on that weekday evening as it was just before the start of the season when they would normally be closed. We made our menu choices in advance of our arrival which helped make the process more efficient on the night. Sadly, I was taken ill that day and couldn't attend. However, my husband and my friends gave glowing reports of the food and drink; those that chose the steaks were especially impressed. They all had a brilliant evening and were made to feel very welcome. Needless to say, I was very envious. I will make sure that if we ever visit Salcombe again I will book dinner at No 55!

• Visited March 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
cheryl19562009, Owner at No55, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear dyann66

Such wonderful words and comments from you all a very big heart felt thank you.

Its a real shame the Youth hostel has closed as so many walkers such as yourelf used No55.

We look so forwards to seeing you again soon or next year! take care it was a pleasure to have you here.

Many thanks again from Team No55 without all is not possible and Peter& Cheryl.