“Second visit. Still our favourite.” 5 of 5 stars

South Sands Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Bolt Head, Salcombe TQ8 8LL, England   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Salcombe
Tiverton, United Kingdom
“Second visit. Still our favourite.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed here a couple of years ago when the hotel was newly opened and loved it. Well we returned for another stay this January and were not disappointed.
The rooms are classy, warm and comfortable. The hotel even sent up a complimentary glass of wine which was a nice touch. The staff were all charming and attentive, from the reception to the waiting and bar staff. We ate there in the evening and found the food very good.
We visited at a time when the weather was particularly bad and there were problems with the roads. We were contacted the day before to explain to us the best route to take which we were grateful for.
We particularly like this hotel out of season when you don't have to share Salcombe with so many crowds. They do have special offers sometimes which make it great value.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This was out second visit to South Sands.
This time we took our dog Peiper!! We all had a wonderful stay, Peiper loved running along the sandy beach morning, noon and night.
There was no difference in standard to our room from our stay the year before, even though we had a dog.
Thank you to all the staff who made our stay yet again very relaxing.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We have just arrived home from a three night stay at the South Sands hotel in Salcombe Devon. This is our second trip to this hotel, our room was fabulous overlooking the beach. Once again we found the whole experience first class.....And excellent value for money certainly returning at some point this year.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

the hotel is very modern and fresh/light. The large car park is situated across the road and is accessed by a code which the reception will give you, or you can buzz them for access when you first arrive.
I had a lovely double room on the second floor which overlooked the bay and I could hear the sea through the French doors which was very relaxing. The bed was large and extremely comfortable with large towels, bath robes and slippers provided. There's a tea tray (if you can't find it, look in the cupboard!) with a variety of teas and coffee and short bread biscuits. The bathroom was very spacious with a free standing bath and double size shower cubicle. Miniature Molton Brown toiletries are provided and replenished each day. The room could have been cleaner, black dust on the window ledges and skirting boards, but other than that it was fine.
The lights in the corridor are automatically triggered when you walk along but they didn't stay on long enough for me to get my key in the door and unlock/lock it. I found myself waving my arms about to get the lights to come on (hopefully no one saw me)!

The hotel is few minutes drive from Salcombe itself, and unfortunately the Cliff Road between North and South Sands was closed during my stay so I had a long drive up a very steep windy single track road via Marlborough to get to the town. With no other eateries nearby (without driving) my only option was to eat in the hotel every evening. The menu specialises in fish mainly but there are other options available including a 2 or 3 course option. The food is very good, looks very pretty but not very hearty - I felt satisfied but also felt that for the money I was paying I would have liked more. Wine by the glass was very expensive.

Breakfast was adequate. Help yourself to a selection of cereals, juices, fruit or granola pots with yoghurt. Make your own toast and then your hot food (salmon, porridge, full English) will be cooked to order. Very polite, helpful staff. I'm sure this would be a stunning place in the summer, shame I only visited during the dark nights of January.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Leicestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed for four nights between Christmas and New Year and included a New Year package which turned out to be a great combination.

The accommodation was light and airy reflecting the beach-side location and informal relaxed atmosphere. Good quality fixtures and fittings were used however the programmable lighting system in the suite seemed over-complicated but didn't cause us any problems. I saw a review that some areas appeared grubby but I understand the hotel is closed for January in order to undertake planned maintenance and improvements. Staff were friendly and helpful at all times.

Our experience of the restaurant food was generally good - in fact I had the same starter twice because it was so delicious although it wasn't exactly the same each time. Breakfast was good - didn't find anything dry but we did over-hear people complaining about the DIY toast!

The New Year celebration included a bottle of champagne in the room, a glass of sparkling wine and canapés in the bar followed by a 6 course taster menu. A disco offered a range of music that all ages danced to but the highlight by far was the firework display from the beach - AMAZING! The evening was rounded off by bacon butties from 1am - a great night was had by all judging by the turn-out at breakfast a bit later on!

My only real gripe (which my other half disagrees with) is that bread is not offered to the table in the restaurant - instead it sits on the menu at £3.50 as an extra.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
rugby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Always pop in to south sands hotel for meals if we are not actually staying on our many trips to salcombe each year and as always our visits this Christmas did not disappoint. Food was phenomenally good, both at lunch and in the evening. Staff on the bar good humoured and helped create a fantastic atmosphere. Service in the restaurant second to none with a special extra birthday treat for my friend delivered with the usual style and elegance I love do much about this place. Never a bad experience.

Stayed January 2014
Rhoose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed for three nights between Christmas and new year. The staff are welcoming and accommodating. The hotel atmosphere is very relaxed and you are made to feel right at home. The location of the hotel is excellent if you like walking and taking in the views. I agree with previous recent reviews, the food is hit and miss. After our meal on the first night I wasn't looking forward to eating there again, however on the Saturday night, it was significantly better. Breakfast is a mediocre affair and everything was a bit dry. If they could get the consistency of the food to a higher standard, this would move my rating up to an excellent.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must