“first ever visit” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“first ever visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

WOW, how did we miss this place...... we met our friends who live in Nice France here . We have not seen them for 2 years and as ever you take a gamble suggesting a good pub etc.
What a great place to go to. Excellent service from Betsy and Garry. including 2 samples of coffee and that's something I,ve never had before. Excellant Food and pleasing to see how busy it was but we a great table by the window and could chat comfortably.3 hours later and we had to leave . A very pleasant surprise called the bill came and it was a pleasure to pay it for 3 hours of good food ,service and company.
OH YES. we will return . Thank you Green Dragon

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Didn't quite do it ......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Looked ok inside, quite busy, but helpful staff found us a table & supplied menus. Drink & food orders taken, drinks delivered quickly but that's about as good as it got. Starters brought to table just about on the point of when I was going to get up & ask where they were; then the same thing happened with mains. Ok, I realise that waiting times are quite subjective, but then I noticed my lamb steak had been served up not how it was described on the menu but with sirloin steak accompaniments. And now there's no-one around, so the only way we can eat together is to accept what I've got. When someone did come to the table to check everything was ok they were quite apologetic but by then I'd eaten most of it. Maybe we should have just refused both meals til they got it right but we only wanted a meal, not a night out!.
So let's just say I won't be avoiding the Green Dragon ............. but I won't be rushing back.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Radcliffe, Manchester
“Good food and prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Our first visit to Lymm and the Green Dragon for many years and we were not disappointed. Parking is easy when you arrive and there is an extensive menu and daily specials to choose from when you get inside. The staff were very friendly and attentive and although it was very busy we were seated quickly, our order taken and our drinks and food arrived shortly thereafter. As it was lunchtime I opted for soup and a sandwich and my wife had southern fried chicken. Everyting was freshly made and very tasty! We will be going back soon.

Visited August 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A bit of a shame...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife & decided to go for a bit of late lunch yesterday. We arrived at about 2.30pm. Hot sunny day, there were a couple of people sat in the garden & half a dozen in the pub.
There was no sign of any service staff & I stood for what seemed like an age at the bar waiting for someone (anyone) to put in an appearance. Eventually a guy came from the direction of the kitchen but shot out into the grounds without looking at me. I was about to go outside looking for him when he returned. I asked him if anyone was serving. He said " what can I get you?" Perfunctionary in the extreme with no eye contact or indeed any interaction at all. We took our drinks out into the garden & sat at a table in the shade. The table was dirty & there was waste food under it which should have been cleared... we were there around 40 minutes.. No effort was made to wipe any of the tables or clear the food up. We decided not to eat there.. which was a shame really. I worked in the hotel & catering industry for almost 50 years but it hasn't made me a tough judge, I invariably look for excuses on why things have gone wrong & what problems staff face. You only have to look at the reviews on here to notice the complete lack of consistency. One good experience , one bad. It appears impossible to predict.
My own view is that theres a serious lack of management control and/or a lack of meaningful staff training. So its hit & miss on a day to day basis. I hope they can sort it out... Sorry about the essay. I hope it didn't send anyone to sleep..

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Anniversary Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

It was our wedding anniversary and wanted to go to somewhere we hadn't been to before. We decided to try the Green Dragon as it had been recommended. It was a Wednesday evening and whilst there were plenty of people in, it was not full. We were met by friendly staff and shown to our table. After letting us look at the menu the waiter took our order. The meals we had were very good, as was the service. After the main course we had a dessert and there was a good choice.
We really enjoyed the meal and will probably return in the future.

• Visited June 2014