“Dissappointed :-(” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #60 of 389 Restaurants in Wolverhampton
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set in the South Staffordshire countryside on a working farm just one mile from the village of Pattingham, The Cowshed has been converted into a fantastic contemporary restaurant. Originally the Clive Farm Dairy, the dining room now boasts a stunning interior featuring rustic oak beams and a mezzanine balcony area. The Cowshed's classic modern British menu, under instruction from Head Chef Joe Whitehouse, features favourites such as the pan-seared scallops with pancetta and sherry jus served with ciabatta toast; pan-roasted duck breast served with a zesty potato cake finished with a kumquat and grenadine jus; and the restaurant's signature Cowshed game pie stuffed with quail eggs and served with a sharp home made chutney.
Willenhall, United Kingdom
“Dissappointed :-(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I came across this place a few months ago online, and after reading the menu I really wanted to visit and today, we finally got round to it. On arrival we were greeted,welcomed in and seated right away. Being a sunday luch time I expected it to be quite busy, but it was almost empty which wasnt a problem for us.We went for the 3 courses for £17.95 (which is priced incorrectly on their website!!)so I ordered the garlic mushrooms en croute which was lovely and my partner ordered the soup of the day, which he also enjoyed. For mains I had the rack of lamb with mash and redcurrant jus that, unfortunatley was dissappointing as it wasnt evenly cooked one side was almost raw and the other side well done so I couldnt eat that, My other half ordered the beef and yorkshire pudding and said that was average. Next for desserts, we both opted for the cowshed cheesecake with vanilla ice cream, which I have to say was probably the worst cheesecake I have ever had! It had sort of a chemical taste to it so I also left that :-( The presentation of all courses were superb, such a shame the same amount of attention wasnt given to the food! The staff were pleasant and attentive, but dont think we will be visiting again. This is a genuine review of my experience and I hope it helps others.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly Surprised.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Went for our 20th anniversary and a little unsure what to expect. We had heard mixed reports but overall we were really pleased. Lovely setting, friendly service and the food was excellent. The choice isn't expansive but what they do they do very well.
Its a little bit pricey but sounds like we had a much better experience than others who have reviewed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wolverhampton
“Disappointing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My partner took me to the cowshed as a birthday treat,we had booked our table at 12 , we arrived at 11.50 to complete darkness and the door locked . We sat outside till 12.05 when eventually a member of staff unlocked the door. The food was really nice, which is a real shame as the service was not, we just didn't feel looked after .

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly classy find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We we really surprised by the Cowshed. We were thinking another gastro pub. Another pretentious eatery. No on both counts. It's not a pub. It's a restaurant. I know it sounds obvious but yes it is a converted cowshed. Tastefully decked out with rustic tables, wicker chairs, quirky cow paintings on the walls! Approached via a farmyard/courtyard. Warm welcome from the boss at the door. Inside looks like small and intimate but there's another room and a little upstairs section so the place is bigger than it looks.

Simple menu but well presented dishes. Little complimentary tomato soups from the chef beforehand. Then I had creamy garlic mushrooms and I've had them countless times before but never presented with such originality. Our mains were a veggie filo pastry option and the chicken breast. Both simple but effective, and again nicely presented. The kind of meals that at first don't look like a lot on your plate but when you reach the desert decision you realise you'll have to pass and go straight to the coffees. Which we did. So our meal for two came to £56, not too bad, but the real draw is this place is Tastecard/ Gourmet card friend as long as you avoid weekends.

Not fine dining but well run, great staff, excellent value for money, warm ambience and glorious country setting not far off the beaten track from us townies!

Do check it out, I think you too will be surprised.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Shropshire
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This restaurant is VERY expensive yet very mediocre! There was only one other couple when we went in (says a lot). You don't get a lot of food, the food isn't great... Partners'medium' steak was cremated. No atmosphere... Wouldn't recommend at all.

• Visited July 2013