“Great place, ever so helpful, rescued me in a crisis” 5 of 5 stars

Barons Court Hotel
142 Goldthorn Hill | Blakenhall, Wolverhampton WV2 3JE, England   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Great place, ever so helpful, rescued me in a crisis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I was suddenly stranded in Wolverhampton when the storm hit, and trains were cancelled. My partner - who was at home - used internet to find a hotel and booked it for me. When I arrived, she had put wrong date! No problem, the staff sorted it out, got me back on my feet, and I had a great night. The hotel is fabulous for the price. Comfortable rooms, marvellous breakfast, and quirky artifacts in corridors.

Room Tip: I only saw inside one, so cannot comment about the others, but 4 was great.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Shifnal, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

On arrival I was quite concerned with the location of the hotel. Situated just off a busy main road. However, upon entry, I was pleasantly surprised. I quirky decor, yet lush decor and a friendly manager. Checking in was basic but simple. I had room nine which consisted of a nice bed, large tv (with a lot of channels) & large bathroom. Complementary teas etc, everything you'd expect of a hotel.

I found my stay to be just fine. There's a car park outside (no charge) & free WIFI, just ask for the code.

Stayed in January after going to watch Jason Manford at the Civic and found the hotel to be just what we needed.

Thanks!

Room Tip: Rooms nine & ten are above the kitchen, so don't use it if you want an early night.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

First of all, no hotel is perfect and this hotel is quirky with a couple of minor imperfections but generally I have to say that this was exactly what we needed at the end of the Christmas period. We came to the hotel to find the Christmas tree still up which was a relief as we wanted a final blast of Christmas before fully going back to work. We met one of the staff/friends of the hotel who was incredibly friendly, open and down to earth who took time to chat to us and make us feel welcome. It was mentioned time and time again that if there are any problems that they should be notified and they would do their best to rectify it. The drawing room and corridors of this hotel are beautiful with furniture and smells that took me back to my childhood. The bedroom we stayed in was a large size with a lovely bathroom and in some ways was quite kitsch. I liked the style. The beds were slightly on the small side but extremely comfortable with lovely sheets and bedlinen. There was plenty of tea and coffee (with complimentary chocolate - nice touch!) and there was extra tea and coffee in the corridor which you could help yourself to. I am not sure how they can make a profit and charge the prices they do as it was so incredibly cheap!! I will definitely stay here again and in fact this is somewhere I could probably come on my own to and would probably see this as a retreat, somewhere to come and just get away from it all. This is probably a good place to come to if you want to go to the Wolverhampton Grand Theatre. When I come next time, I will bring ear plugs as there was a slight noise of traffic from the outside (not the hotel's fault) and there was a slight noise from one of the radiators. I am sure the staff would have done something if we had notified them but it was a minor issue. All in all, this is a real gem and gave us a lovely memory of the last dieing embers of Christmas. There has been so much thought and consideration put into every room. Well done on creating such a beautiful place that is affordable for most people.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Oakham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Never having stayed in this area before, we searched the web and found this B&B on Trip Advisor. We stayed for one night in early December. It was easy to find and is situated on the corner of Fowler Street and Goldthorn Hill, A4039. It was designed in the early 20th century by a well-known architect of the Arts and Crafts movement and still retains several features of that period such as the internal oak doors on the ground floor and the leaded lights. After only a few years more rooms were added to the house which probably explains the upstairs corridors. The downstairs rooms were all beautifully decorated for Christmas which took the manager Keith about a week to complete.
Upstairs is as shown in the photographs, we were in Room 2. Initially this room was cold but Keith came straight away and rectified the matter. The adjoining bathroom is of a good size with a shower over the bath, toilet and wash-basin. From looking at the hotel photos, I imagine the downstairs bedrooms to be better than the room we were in.
I discovered that they will supply wine, book you a taxi and order a take-away meal. However, we found a good restaurant not too far away. There was a very good spread laid out for breakfast next morning, continental and cooked breakfasts are available.We needed ours earlier than the stated time and this was not a problem.
Overall, this place was a complete surprise and is very reasonably priced. There is no lift.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the main road. The downstairs rooms have more character.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed in this lovely hotel 10 days ago and it was excellent. The owner is very pleasant and i was welcomed lovely. The room was brilliant. Big and spacious with 32" flatscreen samsung TV (all freeview channels). Very clean. Bathroom very modern. Quiet night sleep and comfortable bed. 5 minute walk to the local shops. I will definately stay here again if i am back down Wolverhampton.

Thank you for the stay. Charles J

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed here with my 17 year old daughter, as we had a gig to to to at The Robin 2, lovely place to stay. Room was enough for our one night stay. We loved the decor, something you don't see very often. Being Christmas, the decorations were up which made the place even more homely. Breakfast was enjoyable. I had scrambled eggs on toast, mmmmmm is all I can say. If staying in this area again, would definitely go back. Thanks Keith for a lovely stay :o) x

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chobham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have been to Wolverhampton a number of times and I have not stayed in any really good hotels there. This scores best on Trip Advisor so I tried it. It is a converted large house in a residential area. The room was small but reasonably presented. The features and breakfast were all reasonable also

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Barons Court Hotel? Share your experiences!