“Jaded or faded?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Jaded or faded?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have used this hotel several times for business.
The staff are always courteous and pride themselves on customer service.
This is somewhat let down with the condition of the hotel.
The rooms are quite dated and both times I have stayed recently there has been problems with heating in the room.
This time I was automatically upgraded to a honeymoon suite!

This was warm and very comfortable but again was starting to look a bit faded.

This maybe due to the downturn of the recession but it seems that Mercure is not investing in the upkeep of this property.

It is not something I would expect for a Mercure but it is an ideal base for work.
In particular with free wifi and parking.

Come on Mercure, spend some money and you will definitely see an increase in bookings!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Many thanks for your comments following your recent stay
We have got a programme of planned maintenance throughout - and hope that you notice some differences if you return during 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I did a walk in on Feb 5th and was quoted a suitabley low enough price to confirm a three night stay beginning the next day. I was given room #60 which is on the Penn road. This was much closer but smaller room than the rabbit run I had been given on a previous visit. I was quite sick during my stay so I did not use many of the facilities. However my children turned up at noon for lunch one day and only wanted breakfast. The chef was kind enough to go off menu and cook a couple of large full English breakfasts. This I find to be good customer service that drew me back to the hotel the following week for another four nights. This time I was given room 80 which was probably above my reservationprice. A lovely small room with a four poster bed. I used the sauna on this occasion and have to agree with the negative pool comments. I ate lunch on Sunday and was once again accommodated even without a reservation on a busy and packed day. I would recommend this location to friends.
I will be back here again when visiting from Florida.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Many thanks for you kind comments - following your recent stay at the hotel
Look forward to welcoming you back
Hastings, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

First of all I'll say that I stayed here while on business. I stay in hotels, on average, about 2 nights a week and I have got used to what I call 'must-haves' as it's such a regular thing.

Things I look for in my hotel selection:

1 - no plugs anywhere near the bed, no alarm clock and no phone near the bed for a wake up call
2 - windows that don't open and radiators that are either on or off....no middle ground
3 - poor state of repair and poor levels of maintenance
4 - a 'gym' with broken equipment
5 - a swimming pool changing area with a floor covered in hair and seemingly having not been cleaned in weeks
6 - bar food cooked to within an inch of its life, medium rare steak that clearly wasn't fresh or medium rare (and one can only hope it WAS steak), chips that may have been heated to order but certainly not fresh, garlic bread slightly burned under the grill and then dipped in chip fat just long enough that it absorbed sufficient grease to double it's weight
7 - showers which are either hot or very hot
8 - no iron or ironing board in a 'junior suite' (and before anyone says it, a junior suite for less than £100 per night perhaps was never going to be great but it carried the label so expectations were set high)
9 - a room that needs a damn good Hoover and dust
10 - I don't like to be asked if I enjoyed my stay

I've just listed 10 things from the top of my head that I really want in a hotel. And it's a good job....this hotel delivered all of them.

I have stayed in bad hotels before, some on some levels considerably worse than this but, as an all round package, this is up there with them. It's just terrible.

This is a business travellers worst nightmare. Because of the room size, one thing I can't really complain about, the decision to remove plug sockets from the bed end of the room is LUDICROUS. I didn't sleep well, not because the bed was uncomfortable, although quite what the pillows are made of I'm not sure...I perhaps don't want to know, but simply because I was concerned the whole night that I wouldn't hear my alarm which was set on my phone (and was on loud) 10 metres away from my head. No close alarm, no alarm clock provided and no phone to get a wake up call...are you SERIOUS?

And the lack of sleep contributed slightly towards by the uncontrollable and bitterly uncomfortable heat.

The pool is pleasant once you're in as is the steam room and sauna. Although if I was a lady travelling alone, I would definitely not use these facilities. It doesn't feel too safe. But that's by the by. What is unforgivable is the dirt and general feeling of lack of cleanliness in the leisure building. Body hair, and a decent amount of it, on the floors. Dirty old towels under floor mats, litter, dirt, grime...and an old, mouldy, unclean smell the like of which I hope never to experience again.

The food in the bar was grim. Read above for detail. I don't need to say any more on this.

The general cleanliness, state of repair and maintenance of the place is worse than poor. It needs a freshen up throughout. Damaged walls need filling and painting,....just general, basic TLC.

The cleanliness, particularly hoovering, I will take a guess, is probably more down to the equipment than the effort of the cleaning staff.

I could go on but I shall finish with this which, for me summed it all up.

On the whole, the staff are superb. Helpful, polite, friendly...and full of smiles....testament to the,selves and the true, British 'grin and bear it' resolve. They, in the main, do the best with what they have.

Check-out however, was the icing on this cake.

In the 5 minutes I was at the counter, two people served me. Before paying, I am used to being asked 'was everything ok with your stay'.....here? Nothing. I was prepared for either eventuality. If they had asked, I would have raised all of the above direct with them, paid my reduced bill and left.
The other option was, they don't ask, I pay in full and I write a true and honest review for many more people to see.

Not asking a paying guest in your hotel if 'everything was ok' just as they are about to pay you is a terrible level of customer service. Perhaps the poor girls in question know the likely outcome of the question if they ask it so they just don't bother any more.

I paid my bill, in full, and I shall take it up with all and sundry until I get a response to this review and my formal letter of complaint.

I absolutely do not blame the staff for this place. The manager or the management, the owners and Mercure are wholly responsible for an embarrassing representation of the brand name.

Room Tip: Best tip for choosing a room here? Don't choose a room here.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for posted you feedback and my sincere apologies for the problems that you encountered

Unfortunately the hotel has not yet received anything in writing directly from you - if you could possibly email a copy to me - gm@hotels-wolverhampton.com - then I can review and respond to you personally

Many thanks
Mansfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Found the Goldthorn and parked (for free) without issues.

Check-in was poor. There was no queue and it was very quick but didnt run through the leisure facilities at all, nor breakfast times, bar location or anything else really. Just took name, signed form and handed over keys. Not impressed.

Got to our rooms - our friends in room 40 which I suspect was an Exec double. This was fairly spacious and in decent condition. Our room (38) was a normal double and was small, poorly decorated, and in poor condition generally.

Went down to use the leisure facilities in the afternoon. Were fairly old and need modernising. Lockers didnt work (as no locks in them) so nowhere safe to put room keys or valuables but pool was fine as was sauna and steam room.

Didnt sleep that well due to the proximity of a step and swinging door near the room and some loud guests but thats not the hotels fault.

Used the bar in the evening - which was fine and then had breakfast in the morning - £8 per person which was reasonable and the dining area was fine too.

That all said, we only paid £48 for the room (plus £16 for breakfast so £64B&B) which isnt expensive but would fore-go the leisure next time and stay in another hotel as just didnt feel this was was worth even that much with the welcome we got and the standard of the room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel
Disappointed to read your comments and have passed onto those departments concerned
Redditch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We have just spent another all inclusive weekend at this hotel, as we did last year. The staff are still just as good, all helpful and pleasant, and cant do enough for you, special mention for Sarah off reception, she is exceptionally good as what she does, and she even remembered us from last year. Rooms are lovely, very warm and so very clean, we stopped in the Business Centre and had a four poster bed, which was very comfy.

We took friends with us this year and they were suitably impressed too.

Breakfast was nice again, cooked very well, and a good choice of everything. The evening meals were not the same as last year, not so much choice, we thought maybe a bit pub meal type, but what we had was nice. We were going out all day so we were supplied with take out bags which we greatly appreciated.

We would definately return here with no hesitation, top class service, well done to all involved, the Manager should be very proud of all his staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your kind feedback - will pass on your comments to staff involved
Yes I am proud of them!
Dronfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went to the hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary with my sister and brother in law. We were both given upgrades into four poster rooms that were spacious and well set out. We paid for an all inclusive package and were treated wonderfully well by all of the staff with them looking after us extremely well in the bar and restaurant. In the restaurant there was a French waitress who was particularly helpful - a real ambassador for the Mercure brand. Food was very good and plentiful. There was a large pool together with a sauna and steam room and we had free use of it - a real bonus.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for you comments and glad that you had a good stay with us and enjoyed the facilities
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just got back from all inclusive three night break ,Nice hotel ,Room very big , Staff very friendly,Then the wedding party moved in two of the bridesmaids ran around the hotel the morning of the wedding slamming every door possible ,our room was 78 which was right next to the wedding hall , the disco was so loud you could not here the tv which was on number33, After going to see the staff TWICE we had to listen to the MUSIC,DJ and the GUESTS for four hours . When we asked for the music to be turned down they turned it up I WAS NOT HAPPY , Dont know why they put us in that room if they knew their be a problem in the passed, If i would of been told about it would not have agreed to be in room 78 , The wedding party was in the room next to ours why they never gave them room 78 instead of us i dont know ,Their was shouting and screaming from the guest and the bride up to one in the morning ,Would do another break not in this hotel .

Room Tip: Find out if their is a wedding on first ,if not ask for room 78
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your feedback and apologies for the disturbances you encountered
Your comments have been passed to our reception team
Sorry you feel you cannot return - we do have an annex to the hotel " the business centre" - it is just to the left of the hote at the bottom of the carpark - if you were to decide to give us another chance I am happy to upgrade you to a four poster room in the business centre

Been to Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel? Share your experiences!