“Perfect for a weekend” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Perfect for a weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2006

Great hotel for a short weekend. Well signposted from the motorways. The hotel has been around for at least 10 years but it looks like it has just been built. It's definitely had a refurbish!

The staff were friendly, rooms were well decorated and clean. everything you needed was there (tea, coffee, biscuits, sky, ipod connection, iron and board, large wardrobe). very spacious, more a suite than just a room. the bed and pillows were really comfy. bathroom was nice and had everything you needed.

we were meeting friends for the weekend and wanted somewhere close to the town centre. Novotel is a 2 min walk. We thought it might be noisy as it is on the ring road but didn't hear a thing.

would definitely stay again. we booked it for £66 room only on the hotel website.

• Liked — convenience, clean, well presented, modern rooms
  • Disliked — just to say something, the "swipe keys" didn't work properly at first
  • Tips/Secrets — all rooms are the same so you know what you are getting
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Peterborough, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel on a few occasions now and have always felt welcomed and safe, an important thing for a lone business female. Free car parking is a must in Wolverhampton or you'll get lost through the maze of road works.
The bedrooms have just had a makeover and are quite relaxing to stay in. Nice telly,with sky one as standard, plenty of additional channels if you want to pay for them. Beds really comfortable and hotel always appears quiet at night unlike some others I have stayed in.Usual bathroom toiletries with a shower over bath. (Not a fixed one)Only complaint here is the size of the towels, just about big enough to wrap your hair in. oh and why only one pack of biscuits!
Bar downstairs is comfortable and bar staff extremely helpful. Bar snacks quickly prepared and yummy. Ususal high prices though.
Breakfast is buffet style and although the eggs can be rubbery, if you ask the staff for a tray of fresh ones they always appear. Black pudding also served here along with a selection of cold meats and fruit. Yummy. Eat as much as you like and if you are late you can alays nab a croisant and an apple. They never seem to mind.
I always try to book in here when I'm either in Wolves or Birmingham, its well worth the corporate rate, not sure about the rack rate of £110 though, see if you can get an interent deal.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Torpoint, Cornwall, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2005

I stayed here for one night in October 2005. The hotel was easy to access with free parking and close to the city centre. The first thing that hit me when I walked through the reception door was the 'wall' of cigarette smoke that radiated from the hotel bar which was 20 feet away from the reception desk. However, this is a French hotel so I kind of expected to have to put up with other peoples habits. The receptionist was very friendly and efficient and the check-in procedure was quick.
The walk-in rate of £120 is ridiculous for Wolverhampton as was £11 for a buffet breakfast, I was told it was the best value in the area, still no excuse for charging that much. It should be complimentary.
The room was basic and not very clean, dubious looking stains adorned the sofa, so I sat on the bed!
Basic TV channels consisted of 5! Yes, just 5! Unless you want to pay for the premium stuff.
Tea and coffee facilities were available for use in the room but were unusable due to the awful tasting water, the kettle was full of limescale.

The bed was ok and I did manage to sleep well. However I got the overwhelming feeling of being ripped off and as a result, I will not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2005

was not happy, the room was not that clean, we stayed with another family they had to shift there room after complaining to management as it was not even cleaned and the facilities they wanted were not put in. Also very complicated t.v. programming, i was told when i booked the hotel u get all the sky channels except for the ones u have to pay for, but they hardly had any at all. I was also told it was airconditioned but when i asked the receptionist she said it is only air conditioned downstairs, no good to us. didnt think much of the full english breakfast. The receptionist was from a different country could hardly understand what she was saying. I couldnt use the internet as i never carried my credit card and they dont accept cash for the internet. u had to carry ur own lugguage to ur rooms, no porter, well all i could say is that it wasnt a plesant stay and i will never when going back to wolverhampton stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

Very comfortable room although it would have been nice to avoid the scaffolding in situ but I guess this was not possible? Breakfast buffet was good EXCEPT the eggs - these had obviously been hanging around for a while and although I asked for a freshly cooked egg it never appeared. The coffee was dire. I accept I am fussy about my coffee but this was some of the worst I have ever had I'm afraid. Otherwise the choice was good, the fresh fruit salad and yoghurt are your best bet. I would certainly return to this hotel, the location is excellent and I would be more forceful about getting what I asked for but you know us Brits, we don't like to make a fuss.

My other whinge was no shower cap in the bathroom. I telephoned reception but you would think I was speaking Swahili - most hotel groups can provide emergency supplies, aspirin, sewing kit etc. and although getting my hair wet could hardly be classed as an emergency, I would have preferred not to and I didn't think this was an unreasonable request.

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2005

I stay in the Novotel quite often when I feel like a night out in Wolverhampton center as it's just across the road (under the subway). The rooms are modern, light and airy with a spacious bathroom and a bigger than king size bed. Hotel staff are friendly but some struggle with English. Rooms are expensive when booking at the desk the best option is wait last minute then go onto the Novotel website and book online for the special half price rates. The food is quite expensive but worth the money. I absolutely love it and so did all the people i've encouraged to stay there.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

My fiance and I stayed in the Novotel Wolverhampton for two nights in April this year. We found it quite difficult to get a moderatly priced, decent hotel in Wolverhampton because it is not a very touristy place. We were only over for a concert on the Thursday night but decided to make a short break of it and stayed from wednesday to friday.

We were given a very large room on the 2nd floor, at the corner of the hotel overlooking the main road where the tram goes across to the town centre. Despite how close we were to the traffic (which continued until the early hours of the morning), once you close over the windows you cant hear a thing.

At first glance the room was very bare looking, due to the fact that everything was white, walls and ceilings both! When we walked past open bedrooms being cleaned in the mornings, we noticed that ours was the only one that seemed to be without refurbishment. Apart from the lack of upgrading, we found the room to be quite comfortable. There is a huge storage space, like a little hallway inside the door, big enough to fit an elephant! The toilet and bathroom were seperate which made the little toilet feel like a slightly claustrophobic public cubicle!

In terms of cleanliness, I would say that the hotel rated fair. Maybe it was because our room was a little outdated, but it was servicable. There were a couple of what looked like cigarette burns on the top bed sheet, even though it was a non smoking room(?!). The sofa in the room is actually a spare bed, which would make it convenient for families. An unusual white stain on the sofa meant we were reluctant to sit there! The double bed was a huge metal contraption that was a little bit rusty. The visible metal ruts holding it up were not too attractive.

In fairness to the hotel, the room was noticably cleaned everyday, although the plastic faux marble sink in the bathroom just made it look kind of dirty.
We didnt eat in the hotel as we thought the food was very overpriced. They charged us twice for breakfast that we did not order (a whopping 60Euro for a total of four breakfasts!), but removed the charge from our bill when we corrected them. The telephone would not let us dial an outside line, but we were so close to the town centre with lots of payphones so we didnt mind!

Overall it was a pleasant stay and i am glad i choose the hotel. I would not stay there for more than a couple of days because there are not many things to see or do in wolverhampton.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Novotel Wolverhampton? Share your experiences!