“must try harder” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
“must try harder”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

Very comfortable room although it would have been nice to avoid the scaffolding in situ but I guess this was not possible? Breakfast buffet was good EXCEPT the eggs - these had obviously been hanging around for a while and although I asked for a freshly cooked egg it never appeared. The coffee was dire. I accept I am fussy about my coffee but this was some of the worst I have ever had I'm afraid. Otherwise the choice was good, the fresh fruit salad and yoghurt are your best bet. I would certainly return to this hotel, the location is excellent and I would be more forceful about getting what I asked for but you know us Brits, we don't like to make a fuss.

My other whinge was no shower cap in the bathroom. I telephoned reception but you would think I was speaking Swahili - most hotel groups can provide emergency supplies, aspirin, sewing kit etc. and although getting my hair wet could hardly be classed as an emergency, I would have preferred not to and I didn't think this was an unreasonable request.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2005

I stay in the Novotel quite often when I feel like a night out in Wolverhampton center as it's just across the road (under the subway). The rooms are modern, light and airy with a spacious bathroom and a bigger than king size bed. Hotel staff are friendly but some struggle with English. Rooms are expensive when booking at the desk the best option is wait last minute then go onto the Novotel website and book online for the special half price rates. The food is quite expensive but worth the money. I absolutely love it and so did all the people i've encouraged to stay there.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

My fiance and I stayed in the Novotel Wolverhampton for two nights in April this year. We found it quite difficult to get a moderatly priced, decent hotel in Wolverhampton because it is not a very touristy place. We were only over for a concert on the Thursday night but decided to make a short break of it and stayed from wednesday to friday.

We were given a very large room on the 2nd floor, at the corner of the hotel overlooking the main road where the tram goes across to the town centre. Despite how close we were to the traffic (which continued until the early hours of the morning), once you close over the windows you cant hear a thing.

At first glance the room was very bare looking, due to the fact that everything was white, walls and ceilings both! When we walked past open bedrooms being cleaned in the mornings, we noticed that ours was the only one that seemed to be without refurbishment. Apart from the lack of upgrading, we found the room to be quite comfortable. There is a huge storage space, like a little hallway inside the door, big enough to fit an elephant! The toilet and bathroom were seperate which made the little toilet feel like a slightly claustrophobic public cubicle!

In terms of cleanliness, I would say that the hotel rated fair. Maybe it was because our room was a little outdated, but it was servicable. There were a couple of what looked like cigarette burns on the top bed sheet, even though it was a non smoking room(?!). The sofa in the room is actually a spare bed, which would make it convenient for families. An unusual white stain on the sofa meant we were reluctant to sit there! The double bed was a huge metal contraption that was a little bit rusty. The visible metal ruts holding it up were not too attractive.

In fairness to the hotel, the room was noticably cleaned everyday, although the plastic faux marble sink in the bathroom just made it look kind of dirty.
We didnt eat in the hotel as we thought the food was very overpriced. They charged us twice for breakfast that we did not order (a whopping 60Euro for a total of four breakfasts!), but removed the charge from our bill when we corrected them. The telephone would not let us dial an outside line, but we were so close to the town centre with lots of payphones so we didnt mind!

Overall it was a pleasant stay and i am glad i choose the hotel. I would not stay there for more than a couple of days because there are not many things to see or do in wolverhampton.

• Stayed April 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2004

Out of the hotels in Wolverhampton Novotel is the best by far. Top Service and great value for money, they have some really cheap rates at weekends too.

Been to Novotel Wolverhampton? Share your experiences!