“Give this hotel a chance for a wedding- beautiful decor, wonderful staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Wolverhampton

You added Novotel Wolverhampton to your Saves list
Novotel Wolverhampton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Union Street, Wolverhampton WV1 3JN, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Wolverhampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Give this hotel a chance for a wedding- beautiful decor, wonderful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We held our wedding reception at the Novotel in 2011 and were extremely happy with the service provided and the experience gained by guests as a result. We only placed the booking 10 weeks prior due to our initial hotel going into administration and we in hindsight, although stressful at the time, are so glad that we switched hotels.

From our first visit to the hotel we were provided with exceptional service. Hannah made the arrangements stress-free and was flexible and professional with all our requests. Contact between herself and I was frequent and productive, resulting in immediate and personalised arrangements for our wedding day.

A substantial number of guests visited from Northern Ireland and were immediately welcomed into the hotel. Children enjoyed the x-box, internet service and play area and were even called to the desk in order for children's gift 'Car' bags to be distributed. The lady who worked in the restaurant area and originated from Northern Ireland spoke to my parents, and her friendly customer service was commented on by numerous guests.

The day itself was flawless- the room was set up the previous night with the gentleman in charge being extremely co-operative and urging at every instance for myself to relax and that he would take care of the arrangements. On the actual wedding day the food was delicious and the management in charge during the service of the meal etc continually circled the room, approached myself or my husband and ensured that we were happy and that everything was to our expectations.

I can not speak highly enough of this hotel or express our gratitude for such a professional service at such short notice. Numerous guests have commented on the quality of the hotel, it's beautiful interior decor and the general professionalism of ALL staff. I will certainly recommend the Novotel to friends and family, as I know many of our guests have already started to do so.

Thank-you to you and your staff for a wonderful day.

The Edwards

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
, General Manager at Novotel Wolverhampton, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments, we are extremely happy that the team at the Novotel Wolverhampton helped make your special day such a wonderful occassion. We are glad that your guests enjoyed our hospitality and that you were pleased with our service provided from the initial enquiry stage right through to the actual event. Thank you for sharing your experience with your friends and we would be happy to welcome you once again to the Novotel Wolverhampton and are confident that you will once again enjoy a pleasant stay with us. Kind Regards, John Armstrong ( General Manager )

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Does it seem churlish to mark down a hotel because of the impact and behaviour of fellow guests?

I don't think so, because it is within the control of the hotel to do something about it (without being asked).

I've used this hotel, on an off, for some years now, for weekend stays whilst visiting friends.

Without exception on my visits, the hotel seemed to also be hosting groups (be they wedding parties, or other groups) and there always seems to be some impact on my stay from these groups.

Just this last time, it was noise on the bedroom floors at all hours impacting on rest (despite specifically asking for a quiet room away from parties) and an unwelcoming lobby bar area, being, as it was, pretty much taken over by a wedding party from an adjacent function room.

Also, the hotel seems to encourage smoking in the entrance area, through which you have to walk to get in and out of the hotel. This is not acceptable in my opinion. Apart from the inherent health hazards, it is smelly and the floor area is littered with discarded butts. I raised this on a previous visit. Sad to see it has not been taken seriously as a complaint.

Bah humbug on my part..?

I don't think so. I stay in a hotel for my reasons and (beyond the usual need to share common facilities) I do not expect my stay to impacted adversely and unnecessarily by others staying for their reasons and, if it is being, I expect the hotel to spot this and do something about it. They should not need to be told (especially if there is a common theme).

Past stays have had similar impacts/issues.

The hotel itself is fine.

Its revamp in recent years to the more modern Novotel "look" still seems fairly fresh and the rooms are tidy enough. Makes a fine option to a Premier Inn, Travelodge or something.. Beds could be more comfy, if I am being picky, but they are fine when compared to Premier Lodge etc.

The problem here is that I think Novotel would rather be compared to a Hilton or something and, well, sorry, but there's a long, long way to go there.

Breakfast was tasty enough and despite a fair few big groups in at the same time, the staff seemed to cope and food was quickly replenished.

A small fee of £3 for car parking seems a little odd. It is so little that perhaps this is something that could be free for registered guests (especially for a-club card holders).

Charging for the internet is, in this day and age, just a rip off.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Novotel Wolverhampton, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.
We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Novotel Wolverhampton and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience. Kind Regards, John Armstrong (General Manager)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had wonderful day,wedding breakfast and evening reception where both catered for with the greatest of skill.Food was perfect all guests commented on how well cooked it was.Thanks to all staff at novotel for making our day so special. Smith/Nicholls 23/6/12

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to mention your comments about your stay at the Novotel Wolverhampton and we are so excited to share your feedback with our team. We are glad that all the wedding guests enjoyed the food served both for the Wedding Breakfast and for the Evening Reception. We would be glad to welcome you back to the Novotel Wolverhampton. Regards, John Armstrong ( General Manager )
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

i stayed at this hotel in july 2011, my friends and i, had the best weekend ever, excellent hotel, great buffet breakfast just what we needed after a night out, the best bit was we were able to have a late checkout on the sunday didnt have to check out till 5pm, which was great at no extra cost, so we relaxed before we had to drive home.

Room Tip: go for the queen size suite excellent choice
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying at the Novotel Wolverhampton and for sharing your experience with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Regards, John Armstrong (General Manager)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Checked in on the 1st of June, check in staff were very friendly and helpful, this was my first time staying at this hotel. Was rather surprised to be asked for my debit card details to take £50 incase we took anything from the hotel and this would not be refunded and this again was not highlighted when we made our reservation. We went to our room and it was very nice and big. Bed was very comfortable, however was a bit disappointed when I went to the bathroom that same day there was hair in the shower and on the floor, and there was also no bath mat, only to realise that on the door it said to be requested from reception. (would be helpful to let guests know at check-in or keep them in the cupboards in the rooms). One other, THING was the fridge, at check i think staff should let guest especially first timers that the minibars inthe rooms are charged if used. I was not made aware of this and my husband had mini pringles from (charged £2.00). A friend of mine who was a guest is the one who let us know when she came to our room that it was not coplimentary. Apparently there is an imprint inside the fridge with the prices but when we opened it was invisible and hidden and could not be seen. (like other hotels that only put in executive rooms for free). On saturday morning we went for breakfast the staff greeted us. We helped ourselves but the plates were very cold and some dirty with egg staines (im allergic to eggs). We were offered tea only once by the time we finished eating it was cold and we could not find any staff round to offer us more. Noone came to see if we were ok and enjoying our breakfast. Saturday evening we came back went to the bathroom only to realise the bathroom must not have been cleaned because the hair from the previous day was still in the bathroom (bath tub and floor) and to make matters worse its not even my hair. (some guest from before probably. The skating board in the bedroom was dirty with tea bag staines from I dont know how many days before, the kettle was dirty with also tea staines and was not cleaned. the last morning sunday breakfsast was much better although we were not more tea or anything. for confidentiality will not mention room number but can give a private email for it. Following this review I shall be making a formal complaint. overall stay was average but will not go there again or refer anyone at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
fsdsdsgh, General Manager at Novotel Wolverhampton, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back Novotel Wolverhampton and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience. Kind Regards, John Armstrong (General Manager)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

The hotel is about 5 minutes stroll from the station and is the other side of the express way,accessed by a bridge for a short walk into town(7 minutes).We had a lovely welcome in reception and they wished my husband Happy Birthday(I had mentioned it when booking).The room was spacious(we had upgraded to an executive double)with a large comfy bed and a good quality sofa.the tea tray was excellant ,we also had a nespresso coffee machine.There was a mini bar too.The bathroom and toilet were seperate,which was handy.there were good quality toiletries and nice large soft towels.The only downside the door didn't close properly,we reported it and they fixed it.Breakfast was served from 7 to 12! We were able to have a long lie in .It was a help yourself buffet which was excellant,lots to choose from.They serve sanwhiches in the bar til 11pm.We will definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
We are very grateful that you have taken the time to provide your comments regarding your recent stay at the Novotel Wolverhampton. We are so happy that your husband had a good birthday celebration. Our team are delighted that your Executive room was spacious and that you enjoyed the facilities provided. Our Head Chef is also very happy that you enjoyed our Full English Breakfast. We would be most happy to welcome you back to the Novotel Wolverhampton in the near future. Kind Regards, John Amstrong ( General Manager)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We arrived off a National Coaches trip, reception handled a coach load of people politely and efficiently. We went up to our room and were immediately impressed, very modern, clean and comfortable. Very comfortable beds, a separate toilet and bathroom and a flat screen TV on the wall, with a variety of channels to choose from both free and a paid for option.

There were also fixtures and fittings that betrayed the real origin of this place and that is it caters more for the business traveller. Broadband data point connections, the office type desk and even a connection to plug in your MP3 player. The TV also had broadband internet options, but I accept many of these facilities could be used by ordinary travellers in today's world.

The bathroom, like the rest of the room, modern, with a huge mirror that didn't mist up like some do when you take a bath or shower, and some complementary toiletries. A power shower and plenty of good towels, all cleaned to high standard like the rest of the room. And after freshening up it was time for our evening meal.

A few minutes early so time to take a walk in the evening sunshine and even though the hotel is in the city centre it still is quite a walk to get there and is a little out of the way. Also I should imagine that the walk would be a little more daunting during a dark winters evening, but in the evening sunshine it was no bother even if we did take a route that meant walking over a derelict piece of land that is used as a car park.

In the restaurant we were greeted by cheerful and eager staff and asked to take a table. Then it was the soup, served for you in a bowl but not served at your table, you had to go to a central point. Tasty it was as well, on the table was a small bread cake and a complementary bottle of water. I don't know how long the table had been set but unfortunately the water in the bottle was warm.

After the soup it was a buffet type serve yourself main meal and here was another indication that preparations for our meal had been ongoing for quite a while. There was meat, beef and lamb, along with potato, vegetables and as an alternative, fish cakes and pasta. At this point I noticed a film was covering the dish of gravy and the gravy already on the beef, which to me gave an indication that, like the water, the food had been heating up for a while.

There was salad stuff available so I tried a little of different things, without overdoing it as there was also a sweet available. The meal, overall, was ok, although I found the meat and vegetables rather bland but the fishcake I tried was far more tasty. The cakes on offer were ok too, not too sweet, and as for the service, superb. The waiters and waitresses worked very hard to see if everything was ok, well done boys and girls.

We drank our water and was asked if we wanted more, which we did, this time it was ice cold and refreshing for a very warm summers evening. Then we took that walk I mentioned, across the temporary car park and up to the bridge that went over the main road and into the town centre. We soon realised that this area was not to our liking, so we returned to our hotel room and settled down for the night. And it was at this point that what seemed like an oddity for such a modern type hotel, became apparent.

It had been a sweltering day and it was a very warm night but there was no air conditioning in the room, well none I could find and so unless you opened a window, which meant noise from the outside, then the room was going to be stuffy. And so it turned out to be, the beds were very comfortable but the heat was a bit overpowering, which meant disturbed sleep.

When we eventually got up it was time to freshen up and go down for breakfast. It was first class, everything set up and even though plenty of people were getting their food the staff managed magnificently. Everything you could wish for at breakfast from light food to the full English and all done superbly. Tea, coffee, fruit juice, toast, cereals, bacon, sausage, 2 types, egg, beans, mushrooms, hash brown, continental style breakfasts, you name it, it was there to set you up for the day.

After breakfast it was back to our room and collect our things ready to continue our journey on National Coaches. From reception to the restaurant the staff were of a high order, which helps when you stay in a strange place for the first time. Overall a very pleasant stay at Novotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
fsdsdsgh, General Manager at Novotel Wolverhampton, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thank you for your comments and for staying at the Novotel Wolverhampton. We are glad that overall you had a pleasant and relaxing stay with us. Your feedback is extremely helpful to enable us to address some points that you mentioned so we are very grateful that you have taken the time to bring this to our attention. We do hope that you will return for a future stay and we are confident that you will once again have a pleasant stay at the Novotel Wolverhampton. Kind Regards, John Armstrong (General Manager)

Been to Novotel Wolverhampton? Share your experiences!