“Fails to meet expectations” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 271 Restaurants in Worthing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Description: We are a small award winning family run independent coffee, cake and sandwich shop. We specialize in a wide variety of home baked cakes made in our small kitchen, freshly ground and locally roasted coffee and made to order sandwiches, panini, bagels and wraps. We also offer Worthing's widest range of milkshakes and healthy fruit smoothies - choose from over 100 flavours! We have a small amount of seating inside and out (on a clear day with a sea glimpse). We also cater for takeaway on our whole menu. Open 9 am to 4.30 Pm Tuesday to Sunday.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fails to meet expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I want to like Parklife, i really do, especially as i'm a firm believer in supporting local, independant business. But this is my third visit and I shan't go back as each visit has been decidedly average.

My son (age 3) and I decided to go for coffee and cake and chose Parklife. On entry the staff were slow to acknowledge us (despite cafe being empty) and when they did they weren't overly friendly.

The cakes looked delicious and my son chose a rather amazing looking chocolate cupcake but surprisingly he didn't wolf it down. When I tried it I understood why; not only was it disgustingly sweet but also not moist and light as I'd expected. Instead it tasted slightly stale and as a result it remained unfinished.

My latte took a frustratingly long time to arrive and I began to wish we'd gone to Costa where at least the coffee is quick and the staff smile at you.

After we'd given our order I noticed that Parklife do bespoke birthday cakes so I tried to engage in discussion about them with a member of staff who suggested I visit their website for more info. When I did this (whilst drinking my latte) I read with amusement that it was suggested I 'discuss requirements with a member of staff who would be delighted to help'. Hmm.

As this is my third visit, similar experience each time, I won't be back. Needless to say I'm disappointed because I did so want to feel appreciated as a customer there, in the same way I am at other independents in Worthing like Munch and Karben.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Horsham, United Kingdom
“well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Rainy afternoon, in need of a frink and a cake. Tried the ParkLife, tucked away close to the front. Excellent coffee, marvelous selection of cakes. Service excellent, quick to assist with any request. A pity they have not got a bigger premises as there may be issues with getting seated.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Horsham
“Lovely local individual cafe serving fab coffee, cakes, shakes & food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Down a quiet side street and easily missed until you see the Pink front, this independent owner run cafe is quirky and cosy with fantastic food, drinks and service. It's small inside but it's worth waiting for a table. We like our coffee a lot and very much rate the coffee served here. The food is made with interesting and different ingredients along with the more traditional options. There is a great Shake bar offering nearly every possible flavour. They don't open on Sundays - the owners like to take a day off each week - and they don't take credit cards. So if you are in Worthing, don't have cash or need a break on Sunday then go to Costa, otherwise head to Park life.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Worthing, United Kingdom
“The friendliest around...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

After the somewhat anonymous nature of the big chain cafes, Parklife is a joy. It's tiny inside, so choose a quiet time and then enjoy lovely coffee, GREAT cakes and tasty paninis (apparently, the fish finger and tartare sauce one is best!).

Or you could go nuts and have the gherkin milkshake... Which apparently is what teenage boys order to impress their girlfriend. If you don't fancy gherkin, there's dozens of other combinations on offer.

Lovely staff means that this is the number one cafe in Worthing.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Shoreham, United Kingdom
“Great cakes and coffee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Great little cafe hidden down a side street of main road through town but still very busy.Excellant homemade cakes and mocha . Some seating outside. A bit tight for space on busy day for a child's buggy and I found they had no where to change a baby .toilet didn't have changing table so a little disappointed by that . Cafe only takes cash that is a bit annoying when I only ever have my card so I have to remember each visit to go to cash machine that I only remember halfway through ordering! But one not far away just nuisance if they are busy .

Great selection of food and drink .

• 4 of 5 stars Food