“Superb holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Superb holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed for 3 nights on 7/8/9 July 2014 and had a truly happy experience.Reception was prompt and welcoming,my room comfortable and decorated in a pleasing maple and magnolia scheme.The cocktail bar was cosy and in the event of being temporarily unmanned service could be called for at reception.Entertainment was laid on for my first 2 nights and as an 82 year old solo traveller I was made to feel wanted and liked by both artistes in charge of the music and dance.This is my life-blood and it is what I came to this old-fashioned hotel to find.A generous cooked breakfast was served at table overlooking Steyne Gardens in full bloom.If I have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find something to moan about I can only say that one tiny bottle of shampoo had to serve for my ablutions for 3 days..LOL!

Room Tip: I would gladly have paid a premium for a view of Steyne Gardens/sea
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
west sussex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed at the Chatsworth for one night with my wife on 5th July for a wedding reception and I don't think that it was worth the money we paid. The room was small and it was very hot but the window could only be opened a small amount. The room decoration was poor, the furniture looked like it had not been replaced since the 60s and the bed cover was torn and stained. Our daughter had a room near by that had a hole in the wall and a light switch hanging loose from the wall. The carpets generally around the hotel were worn out and the dance floor in the wedding area was falling apart. The bar in the evening closed at 11pm and in the morning when we were getting ready to leave someone came to clean the room so you felt like you were being pushed out early.
I would not stay there again I think the Hotel needs a complete refurb to bring it up to a decent standard.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank you for your recent review from which I am sorry to hear that you felt that your stay was not entirely satisfactory.

With regards to the price that you paid, our tariffs are competitvely priced with similar three star hotels in the area. Our rooms are all of a standard size, apart from our larger sea view rooms which are more spacious.

I am sorry that you found the room to be a little hot, we do have air conditioning in many of our rooms, if you had brought the matter to our attention at the time then we would have been happy to move you to a room with air conditioning, subject to availability.

With regards to how old you felt that the furniture looked, the room that you stayed in was refurbished in 2003. If you had brought any matter with regards to the bed linen to our attention we would have immediately rectified it.

Our housekeeping team regularly report any room defects, which are then rectified by our maintenance team as soon as possible. We are sorry that your daughter was not entirely happy with her room.

Our dance floor has been recently inspected and no defects were reported.

Our check-out time is by 10.30am, if you have not vacated the room by this time, then our policy is to enquire as to what time you are planning on leaving, afer this our intention certainly would not have been to make you feel that we were pushing you out of the hotel.

We are currently undergoing a refurbishment with the first phase of all of our sea view rooms completed.

I hope that you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back, as I do not want your lasting impression of the hotel to be a negative one.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I arrived monday 30/7 at around 11.00am after struggling through the London rush hour with a holdall and a suit bag, I figured i could try and check in just on the off chance. i was greeted by June probably the most unhelpful and one of the rudest people i have ever met . i walked in all smiles and was informed "NO you can't check in" ok could i leave my bags here as i had to go to work? (this was ignored the first time). "the rooms not clean", ok absolutely no problem could i leave my bags here (second time). June tutted got up marched round to the front of the reception desk grabbed my bags tutted loudly again then disappeared around the back with them.
Those that read my reviews no that i try and find the positive in all things, well the air con worked in the room and the poached eggs were just how i like them.
thats the positives out the way
The room was small,l the tv..(haha) I've seen bigger smartphones, and the bed was uncomfortable.
The free wifi didn't work, when i went down to enquire as to why i was told there was a problem on my floor but was being fixed(as of friday morning still not) but i could use the wifi in reception or the lounge to Skype my wife....(rather not).
My interaction with June "the jewel in the Chatsworth crown" didn't end there i arrived back to the hotel one afternoon while she was on a phone call , no eye contact no mouthing "give me one moment "she totally ignored me for about 15 seconds finally she looked up and just starred at me i told her my room number.she reached round slammed my key on the counter and continued with her phone call, No thank you have a nice evening nothing.
by the way she conducted herself it tells me she either hates her job or the public either way june maybe a career change is in order.
i did see her smile once thursday morning but i think the owners son was in reception.
To be honest a hotel that has frankly"seen better days" should really be winning the customer over with its service proposition.
theres so much more but to be honest the only thing i will say is avoid this hotel like the plague.
P.s if the management do read this maybe send June on a "customer is key course"
Just my opinion though

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
It is very unfortunate that Trip Advisor deem this ‘review’ as acceptable when it clearly includes a personal attack on one of our members of staff.

To people reading this review, the problem with Trip Advisor is people can write virtually anything with regards to members of our staff without thinking of the consequences and as a hotel we have no say as to what is published on the Trip Advisor Website.

With regards to your comments, we do offer a guaranteed early- check-in service of midday if requested prior to arrival. If a guest arrives before this time we will try and accommodate you for an early check-in service if available. As you mentioned we do offer a store room if you wish to leave luggage, prior to or after your stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our working air conditioning in your bedroom and that we poached your eggs to your liking.

The room that you occupied was a standard garden view room, which measures 162 square feet. We do not very often have complaints regarding the size of our rooms. If you prefer larger rooms we do have spacious newly-refurbished Four-Poster sea view rooms available with seating areas.

Our televisions have flat LCD screens which measure 19 inches, again generally we do not have complaints regarding the size of the tv screens.

I am sorry that you found the bed to be ‘uncomfortable’, if this had been mentioned during your stay then we would have changed the matress for you.

I do apologise that the free wifi was not working on your floor, this was a temporary problem which was quickly resolved. It is unfortunate that you did not want to take advantage of using the wifi in the Reception area or Lounges.

None of our reception staff would ‘slam a key on the counter’ and receive regular customer training, which is why our hotel usually receives such high praise from our guests who specify an excellent customer service. We have a very high percentage of returning guests.

Lastly I am sorry that you felt the hotel had ‘seen better days’. We are currently in the middle of a phased refurbishment and we have had a very positive response to our newly refurbished part of the hotel.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night and at an excellent rate. Lovely room, very clean. Smashing nights sleep. Lovely breakfast and very relaxed. Very attentive and unobtrusive staff, friendly and polite. Centrally located and wifi throughout the hotel. I was very satisfied and recommend this hotel for business travellers.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sale, Cheshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The front of the hotel is charming and very elegant. The hotel overlooks the lovely park and some great views.
The staff are absolutely lovely; from the receptionist, the reception manager, waitress and bar staff. All could not be more helpful.
Rooms are small, or mine was, but OK we are on the south coast, not far from London and by the seaside. I checked some of the other rooms and mine was particularly small (room 228). Other rooms seemed to be a little bit bigger.
Carpets are worn, especially on the stairs where they are quite threadbare. The paintwork needs touching up in both the rooms and in the public areas. It is in dire need of a makeover, which I believe has been promised for some time now and not delivered.
There is a persistent are of faded grandeur about the hotel. The sort of place that has Saga coach parties booked.

Room Tip: Watch out for rooms on the back of the hotel, they overlook a coach station. Rooms on the front over...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Freising, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Right opposite a park, close to the town centre, which is just a couple of minutes walk away. This is an old hotel but has good rooms and the breakfast is excellent. Staff are friendly and the price is reasonable. Make sure you get a room with a view of the park (they call it garden!).... Also check about parking, this can be a problem since they do not have any parking places.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Salford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

over all I was very pleased with my stay and when refurb is complete the hotel will look better, staff very pleasant and eager to help. the location is near perfect as its less than 100yds to the beach and well place for all ameneties. food was tasty and reasonably priced. i will be back later in the year

Room Tip: choose a front room if you can as the bus depot to the rear could keep a light sleeper awake
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Chatsworth Hotel? Share your experiences!