“Sorry, but I wouldn't stay here again.” 2 of 5 stars

Kingsway Hotel
117 Marine Parade, Worthing BN11 3QQ, England   |
Ranked #9 of 11 hotels in Worthing
Milton Keynes
“Sorry, but I wouldn't stay here again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Positives:
- Friendly man on reception.
- Clean and tidy reception and bar area.
- Iron and ironing board in the room (although about 50yrs old).

Neutrals:
- Lift is small and ancient, but was just about adequate for 2 adults with luggage.
- Acceptable room size.
- Very narrow, tight corridors (not really a problem - the building is what it is).

Negatives:
- Furniture is very old and basic.
- Everything in the room needs replacing, and the room redecorating.
- Bathroom wasn't very clean. Seemed to have been given more of a quick wipe over.
- Dodgy shower head coupled with poor water pressure (although plenty of hot water).
- Poorly fitted old door lets light through on all sides, all night.
- Very noisy. I'm a fairly light sleeper so had a bad nights sleep. This was partly due to thoughtless guests talking loudly in the corridors, as they came and went at all hours; partly doors banging; partly old creaky floorboards; and partly due to the gaps around the door offering no sound proofing.
- The bar and reception area look ok, which is too misleading. They certainly don't represent what you get once you've stumped up the cash.

Summary:
There's an 2* AA sign hanging outside, but an old sticker in the bedroom indicates it was once 3*. It's a shame really, as the location is fine and it wouldn't cost a fortune (alongside a bit of TLC) to make this a decent enough place to spend a night or two.

As it stands, I would rather have slept in the car and kept £70 in my pocket.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
kingsway-hotel, Manager at Kingsway Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
was allocated a room which we are aware requires some investment and this will commence at the start of September.

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Worthing, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

My partner and I went to this hotel last weekend on a Sunday evening for a drink and maybe a bite to eat, the bar staff (a man) was exceptionally rude, we asked if there was still food available, he snapped "No!" and when we waited, shocked at his response at the bar for a drink he took ages to serve us even though we were standing RIGHT IN FRONT of him! I had to say "um..excuse me, can we get a couple of drinks then?!" he served us, gave me a pint of bitter shandy (which he filled up 3/4 of the way) and did terribly (it was all foam) and slammed my partners drink down.
Don't go here, the staff are rude and haven't got any idea what customer service means. Dreadful

Room Tip: avoid it
Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
kingsway-hotel, General Manager at Kingsway Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
This was an unfortunate and rare problem, as you can see from previous reviews our staff are always complimented.
Blackpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Stayed here for one night on 12th March 2010. The public rooms, ie: lounge and bar look tired and bland. I had booked a single room, which, as could be expected was very small. There was no cold water in the bathroom on either the Saturday evening or Sunday morning. My colleagues room had a lightbulb missing in the bathroom. This was raised to the receptionist shortly after arrival, but was not rectified. The hotel is like a maze of narrow and tired looking corridors. The few staff we encountered however, were polite. I suppose the room rate is reflective of the standard of accomodation, but I would only stay here again as a last resort. We we're booked room only, so I cannot comment on the quality of the breakfast. Drinks at the bar are rather expensive to say the least !!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
kingsway-hotel, General Manager at Kingsway Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
We thank you for your review. Due to our yearly cleaning of the water tanks and testing for legionnaires disease we did experience a temporary problem with the cold water which could not be avoided due to health and saftey requirements.
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

Where do I start??? From the outside, the Kingsway looks like your typical British seaside independent hotel. Bit tatty, but not too bad. On arrival the receptionist was lovely, very friendly and helpful (though her directions to my room were very wrong!). This is where the good stuff ends.
After finally finding my room through the maze of very narrow and claustrophobic corridors (I wouldn't like to find my way out in a fire) I finally found my room. I rather wish I hadn't.
I am sat in it writing this review. What can I say? Its dated, tatty, not particularly clean and could do with a total overhaul. Granted, there's a bed, a wardrobe, a desk and 'comfy' chairs. There is also a TV that works if you get the button combo right on the remote, and a kettle with tea and coffee. There are no curtains, only a slatted blind, and the room echos due to a total lack of anything to soak up the sound!
On to the bathroom. It feels like something out of a very old uni Halls of Residence (though I've seen better in those!). The light is a strip light on the ceiling. There is not a net curtain or blind on the window. The floor and wall tiles are cracked in numerous places and the heated towel rail is held together with masking tape. The shower curtain just about met the bath, and I still daredn't lift the toilet seat after the lid stuck to the seat on my first use.
And now for breakfast... don't do it! See the picture attached! I ordered bacon and fried egg. The bacon was the saltiest and greasiest I've ever had. The egg was tasteless and had been turned over to expose a browned 'white' on teh bottom, and in the process split the very anaemic looking yolk. I managed to eat half the bacon rasher and a dunk or two of yolk! I did complain to reception after and the helpful girl form the night before told me I couldn't get a refund until later when the manager was in. Upon arriving back this evening, I have received a refund for the breakfast I had booked for tomorrow (which I have no intention of having) but was refused a refund for today as "they could have cooked me something else if I'd asked." The manager was insistent that he couldn't refund to day's, so I paid £10 for two mouthfuls! Not happy!

To sum up, don't stay here, there is a nice looking travelodge 200 yards up the road where they serve a £7.50 all you can eat hot breakfast.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Stayed in August for one night in the separate house at the back of the hotel. Rooms were adequate. Bathroom needed some maintenance work and more thorough cleaning. Breakfast was OK, if a little chaotic! Right opposite the beach, about 10 mins flat walk to the pier, so good location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

When I was looking at hotels to stay in, I saw the Kingsway is an independent hotel, and so rather than choosing to stay in the Travel Lodge just down the road, I thought I would support the Kingsway. Also I chose to stay in a hotel as I knew that I would want something to eat when I got there, and hotels have restaurants!

I had read on Tripadvisor about food not being available after a certain time, but I saw that they had a restaurant and a bar and thought perhaps food being unavailable after relatively early in the evening had been a one-off, afterall, the hotel is in a busy seaside town, where I would have thought business would be good, especially in the heart of the holiday season.

I was shocked on arrival to discover that the restaurant shut at 8.30pm and the bar wasn't serving any food after 8.45pm. I'd arrived at 9pm and was told this, but that I could always get a takeaway! I really couldn't believe it. On booking, I told them that I would be arriving late, but they failed to mention that I wouldn't be able to get anything to eat in the hotel. They did not even offer to make a sandwich, saying that they couldn't leave the reception, so I went up to my room, hungry.

Parking was also difficult and the staff were indifferent.

It is a shame as the hotel looks lovely and and deserves so much better.

So this is a warning if you know you are going to arrive late. Make sure you pack some sandwiches!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
England, Surrey.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

The Kingsway is a very pleasant and comfortable hotel. An excellent location, just a few yards from the sea front. It is within easy walking distance from the shopping area, which has a good mix of shops and restaurants - including a small Elvis Presley Museum. The hotel has a light, airy dining room with an extensive menu of tasty meals.
Beds are comfortable and bedrooms quiet, away from the fun fair and bright neon lights.
A big plus is than the Kingsway is PET FRIENDLY! The staff are all charming, as is the owner who lives on site. All in all a very pleasant short break. The only downside being that the lift was out of order but that is work in progress and will be fixed soon.

• Stayed July 2010

Been to Kingsway Hotel? Share your experiences!