“hearty welcome, nice food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Moscow, Russia
“hearty welcome, nice food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Had a lunch there with my friend and her mother. We really liked it - all three of us - and I am surprised to read so negative recent reviews.
We took 8-9 appetizers (both hot & cold) to share - everything were fresh and tasty. And after lunch we were served coffe and dessert as a compliment.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Worthing, United Kingdom
“istanbul resturant meze”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My birthday dinner - what a miserable experience- I went with some good friends. we were asked to pre order our meals (what!) two days before- to help the cook...when we arrived we were not given a wine list and had to ask several times for our glass of wine £4.50. the starters took three quarters of an hour to arrive, then with no bread to dip in the homous, one main arrived with the starters. then we waited another half an hour for the main meals which arrived in dribs and drabs I had Istanbul Kofta which tasted like a Tesco value lamburger cut in half, no lovely turkish spices, two slices of aubergine with cheese in top. one lady ordered fillet steak well done, which was about half an inch thick still bloody and resembled a cheap frying steak, after its second return to the kitchen it was still bloody and too tough to eat, three moussaka dishes were tastless and left by the recipients. the portions were tiny and lacked flavour, the waiters inattentive and unhelpful the management rude. In my opinion they have just cut the quality and the portion size too much . My friends went next door for their meal - I went home. Thanks Istanbul Resturant I wont come again .

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ditchling, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Dreadful. !!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I recently went to the Instanbul restaurant with a group of friends. We arrived and were shown to our table. We waited, we waited and we waited and then after about half an hour of just waiting one of my friends asked if we could have some drinks. These were all ordered and then after another wait of ten minutes the drinks order arrived or should I say part of the drinks order arrived !!! Things went from bad to worse as other customers arrived and all got served with their drinks and their food, our party however, just sat there waiting for someone, anyone to come along and ask us what we would all like to eat !!,(I would add however that we had already pre-ordered our starters a couple of days before on the telephone) . Anyway after yet another lengthy wait our starters arrived. Well what can I say it was the smallest portion imaginable and tasted salty and not like garlic as was described in the menu). We were offered no bread to dip in the sauce and two of my friends had to ask for their bread which was supposed to have come with their homous !!!. Things got steadily worse when all our mains arrived. My friend had a steak which looked like it had been stamped on as it was so thin it looked like a piece of cardboard and even though she had ordered a well done steak it arrived on her plate looking like it had just undergone surgery as there was blood coming out of it. She asked if it could be replaced with another well done steak and when it came back the steak appeared to have shrunk to an even smaller size and was still oozing blood from the inside. Not a pretty sight on a plate !!!. My other friend orderd a potato meal and there was no potato in it and when she queried this with the waiter he called this lady who got a small plate and a spoon and whilst my friend sat there, plopped the potato on the small dish and said "Here we are Potato lady there is potato" and then proceeded to walk off leaving my friend with a disembowelled dish of vegetables with a side plate of splodge which I assume was supposed to represent a potato. My other friends said that their dishes were just tasteless and cold and unedible. We approached the waiter and asked if there was anything he could do to resolve our concerns and promptly said "I am afraid there is nothing I can do". We asked if we could perhaps have a complimentary coffee or something anything, but to no avail. I would certainly not recommend this restuarant to anyone and my friends and i will not be going back there. I totally unenjoyable experience and it is a pity that the management doesnt realise that customers who come to their restaurant expect to have an enjoyable experience with good food and service unfotunately the whole experience was absolutely dreadful.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Worthing, United Kingdom
“You would be a fool to eat at the Istanbul”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I would like to comment on my recent visit to the Istanbul restaurant in Worthing on 30th June 2012. My friend was celebrating her birthday and we booked a table for 8 people. Imagine my shock when the manager asked us to place our orders 3 days in advance to 'help the chef out'. I should have known then we should have booked another restaurant. Once we had arrived at the restaurant, our meals eventually materialised after much confusion between the waiters and one of the courses was so undercooked it was raw. Two other vegetable moussaka meals provided to us was frankly too bad to eat and we asked the manager if we could pay for the food that we thought was edible. I was shocked and dismayed to discover that he said that there was nothing wrong with the moussaka and that we had no alternative than to pay for meal. To add injury to insult he asked me if I had ever eaten moussaka before. I would strongly advise that if you were planning a visit to this restaurant I would not waste your time or money. The service was atrocious and the staff were obnoxious!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Lack lustre service, food and overall experience. A very disappointing night out!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We booked a table for 8 at this restaurant and things just went from bad to worse. Bearing in mind that we had been asked to pre-order our meals in advance (which made little sense considering there were only 8 of us!) the service and food we received from the moment we arrived and the time it took to receive our starters/ mains was awful! In fact, in general, there seemed to be little if any proper management of front of house staff with regard to offering good customer service. We had to ask one of the staff if we could order drinks before our starters arrived (sorry but thats bad customer service!) and when the drinks finally arrived, after about 15 minutes, some of the drinks were missing! Furthermore, bearing in mind we had pre-ordered our starters and mains in advance, we waited and waited.....finally, a full 45 minutes after the group had arrived, we had to ask the waiter for our starters!! Sorry but that is not how you run a restaurant or treat your customers! It was like a team of amateurs had volunteered to help out for the night and didn't know what the hell they were doing! We might as well have just chosen our starters and mains on the night considering the time we had to wait to receive them and the lack of organisation / management. When the starters finally arrived the portions were tiny in size, disappointing in taste, unimaginatively presented and were very poor value for money. It took another 25 - 30 minutes later before our main courses arrived (once again considering we had pre-ordered our meals we might as well have ordered them on the night considering the time we had to wait for them to arrive!). Once again we had to ask the waiter for our main courses! When our mains finally arrived all I can say is that whoever is cooking their meals back of house has absolutely no passion for food nor the dishes they are cooking! The food that arrived was bland, had no depth of flavour and was poorly presented. Whilst the menu sounded wonderful, the food that arrived was so disappointing and did not live up to the descriptions on the menu- the rice was tasteless, the chicken dishes on the menu bland, the moussaka was just a warm, wet slop of nothing. Where was the garlic, the oregano, the brandy, the potato, the taste? ! The one fillet steak that arrived was nothing short of road kill and despite two attempts to get it cooked to the customer's preference (well done) it oozed with blood and seemed more gristly in texture that the previous piece of meat! Perhaps that piece was meant for the cat! The worst was yet to come; the waiter was politely asked if the party could be compensated in some way for their awful experience in the hope that they would return in the future. No such luck! No discount, no complimentary drink, no apology, no free dessert, coffee. Just a militant stare from the owner/manager who seemed to have little understanding of the importance of customer service! We paid the bill, the staff ignored us and we left. As customers we felt sad and disappointed that we had chosen this restaurant to celebrate a dear friend's birthday. We left feeling that we had been robbed of our hard earned money, a lovely and memorable evening spoilt by ignorant staff who have no grasp of the concept of what it means to provide good customer service and wonderful food. We will never ever return to this place again and I strongly advise anyone not to go here! Such a shame.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere