“A good experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 26 Yeovil B&B and Inns
Cullompton, United Kingdom
“A good experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Had a one night stop over having attended a function near by. Main points were:

Located just to the north of Yeovil with very easy access to the A303.

The room (twin) was clean and functional as was the bathroom. The electric shower was very good and refreshing. The only comment I had was the window blinds were in a bit of a knot but that was sorted out in less than a minute otherwise very acceptable.

Breakfast was served in the main pub restaurant by a very cheerful, helpful and friendlily lady. Food was of a reasonable standard.

The rear courtyard backs out on to a small lake and a lovely views over the countryside, nice to look at first thing in the morning.

Overall a very pleasant stop over and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in a twin room with a friend whilst we were attending a Mess Dinner at nearby Fleet Air Arm Museum. Very friendly, very clean, very comfortable bed, free shower toiletries, free fast wifi and an amazing full English breakfast. Excellent value at £55 for the room. If I am on the area again I would definitely use this place again.

• Stayed November 2012
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

1 night stay with 2 adults & 3 children. We had a family room at the front No 15. when we walked in the it was very warm, it would appear that there is floor heating in the bathroom. overall the accomdation was clean & tidy. Three small things we noticed is that there is no literature in the rooms giving basic hotel information such as menu or breakfast times & local attractions, there is no internal phone system, so you can't even find out the information that you need without going back down to the bar, also there is no instruction on how to operate the remote for the velux window.I do have to say that both the adults found a bit on the hard side, but there is down to personal choice of home bed.

we had a meal in the restarunt which was super. The food was hot & freshly prepared. We also had breafast the following morning which again we can't fault. There was a good selection of ceral for the kids, with plenty of juice & coffee. Again the full engish was hot & well prepared.

overall I would that the staff were excellent nothing was to much trouble, the food was to a very high standard, yes we would go back again & would recommend this place to all.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front do get the evening sunshine
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lancashire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Don't be deceived by the well maintained exterior and reception. I stayed in room 18. I noticed on checking in it was not exactly spotless (windows were dirty and dead flies around the window ledge) , but it was only an overnight stay for work, so I thought it would be OK. and I only wanted a place to get a good nights sleep. Well that didn't happen!
I'd been in bed an hour and was awoken by flies / midges around my head. I got up and found that there were a small number in my room - strange as the only window in there was closed tightly. I went to reception and his answer to the problem was not to give me a new room, but came in with can of fly spray! I know I should have left there and then, but I was tired and just wanted to get back to bed.
At 1am I was awoken again, but this time with an invasion of flies, moths, midges and not just around my head, but on the bed and inside the bed. I threw the bedcovers back to find the most horrendous mass of hair, dead insects, balls of dust and dirty cotton buds (definately not the result of just a missed days cleaning - more like 6 months!).
I packed my stuff up and could find no one on the desk, so I got the door key from behind the counter and let myself out. I spent the night sleeping in my van - but to be honest that was so much more comfortable than this House of horrors.
I had taken pictures and submitted them to Environmental Health, who may hopefully force them to clean up their act - taking money to stay in that room was an utter disgrace (and NO I didn't get a refund)
Through work I stay in several different hotels every week - hundreds over the course of a year and in all my years travelling, I have never ever stayed anywhere so awful. So do yourself a favour and I wish I'd known their was a Premier Inn only 12 miles away - book yourself in there!

Room Tip: dont book at this hotel at all - Room 18 avoid at all costs. Fire Escape is next to it and due to li...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed one night enroute further West, greated by a very friendly lady who showed us to our room,we had been up graded due to a party taking place and the other rooms booked. It was very clean and comfortable with a fantastic push button shower and jacuzzi bath
We had a meal in the evening which could not be faulted, well cooked and presented., the breakfast the following morning also could not be faulted.
The following morning my good lady was not feeling well due to a bug, i had to make a visit to Yeovil to the chemist, the 2 ladies who i spoke to in the reception were very helpful, and we were able to stay in the room for a bit longer until she felt better and able to travel.
Would happily recommend this establishment to friends.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dereham, Norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Booked the first night online and was so impressed I went back next day.
Rooms comfortable and clean. Tea, coffee, biscuits and bottled water all provided. Free wi-fi access which worked fine. Great push button digital showers - would love one of these at home.
Had 2 completely different evening meals which were good value, freshly cooked and very tasty. The cajun salmon steak was superb !
Found the staff friendly and welcoming - as for the scary lady with wild hair mentioned by another reviewer (obviously a mouse, not a man), she definitely is friendly and has character - she made every effort to make sure I enjoyed my stay and was happy to have a natter (hope your foot's OK now by the way).
I would definitely aim for the place if I need to stay anywhere in the area again and found it good value for money - thanks !

Room Tip: Choose rooms at rear if traffic noise after 7.30 am will bother you
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Checked in, escorted to room all fine and lady very welcoming and room fine for the value - tea, coffee tray with water bottles. All Clean and bathroom clean. View of lake at rear. Ask for a rear room as front could be noisy.
However, there is a very scary woman at this pub - Wild hair and very little social graces. She asked me to move down the bar so as to take my food order so she didn't have to shout!!! No please and thank yous. If she was friendlier, I'm sure they'd have more locals supporting them. The food is a mixture of packet and not. I had a steak and asked for it rare which luckily it was. If you like wine then bad luck - they only serve a merlot and shiraz in red in 187ml bottles and presumably a similar limited selection of white wine...stunned. The room has vertical blinds so expect to wake up early.
Nice setting and they obviously like doing the wedding thing at the weekend.
Value for money - but could do with a bit of "finishing" They're trying I suppose. Oh and I do hate it when they set up breakfast whilst you're in the middle of dinner - it's 8.45pm and they'’re getting the breakfast buffet out.

Wouldn't go back I'm afraid - unless I wasn't planning on eating.

Room Tip: Ask for a rear facing room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Halfway House Inn Country Lodge? Share your experiences!