“Wonderful service for a weary traveller” 5 of 5 stars

Cromwell Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9-11 North Bar Street, Banbury OX16 0TB, England   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Banbury
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful service for a weary traveller”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I rang at the last minute to make a booking and was very stressed at the time of my arrival. They were most accommodating on my arrival and even helped carry my bags up the stairs to and from my room on the second floor. I had breakfast included and it was a delicious three egg mushroom omelette. Wait staff were not around when I first entered the breakfast room, but they appeared quick enough and I ordered my coffee and breakfast. That morning I was supposed to check out but asked if there was any possibility of staying on. The manager was very busy with preparations for a wedding that day, but still took the time to ring around several nearby hotels to find a room for me, because they did not have any vacancies.
I stayed in room 17, towards the back of the hotel. It was a little noisy on the Friday night, due to the beer garden downstairs, but it did not disturb my sleep. I also had to walk through the bar to get to my room from the reception area, but it was not busy so that was not a problem.
Five minutes walk from the train and bus station, so location is good. Also, about 2 minutes walk from Banbury cross and the centre of town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking your times to leave your feedback it is always nice to read that we have gone that extra mile for our customers and that my team has made a difference. I will make sure they all read your comments as I know they will be happy to read such nice feedback and I look forward to seeing you again next time your in Banbury Ian & the team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
newton abbot
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

very noisy `lads bar`, right next to dining room, drove us out for dinner on first night. Dining room very small, with a smaller and very dark room at the side.... floor dirty in here. Reception area very small and sad, dirty woodchip paper on walls. Last morning breakfast service terrible, tables uncleared etc. One waiter left to serve on his own, not his fault, spoke to manager about this but received a blank look.
On plus side, rooms are decent for the price, although we had to move from an attic room which was up 39 steps. Young lady receptionist first class,

Room Tip: avoid third floor rrooms. choose garden view for quietness
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet our normal high standards with regard to breakfast we always look at the number of guests and rota on the correct number of staff however fowling your feedback I will look at our staffing levels for breakfast. Due to the building being been very old and having the charms of an old building there will be characteristic things like room sizes varying, squeaky floorboards and rooms on the 3rd floor. I am glad that we where able to move your room so the noise from other guests in the bar did not disturb you on you second night I will pass all your comments on to all my team so other guests do not encounter the same problems. Once again thank you for taking your time to leave us feedback.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

was in area with work and needed a room late at night the manager booked us in and placed my food order even though it was after 10 when there resturant had closed the food was really good and the staff could not be more helpful

Room Tip: room 3 very good
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your very kind feedback, we are really pleased to hear all of your comments & will pass this onto my team who will be very pleased here you nice comments. We look forward to seeing you back at the Cromwell soon.
Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to rate the Cromwell highly; the hotel looks olde worlde and cosy, the room (no. 10) was reasonably sized with a comfortable bed, flat screen TV and the pre-ordered champagne, chocolate and flowers were there. The food was very good and the drinks reasonably priced. Unfortunately some little things spoilt things, like waiting in the corridor for 15 minutes to check-in whilst the barmaid tried to find the receptionist (it was mid afternoon...), the slow service (the same guy who checked us in served dinner and breakfast, and needed some help) but worst of all the Saturday night birthday party in the bar about which we hadn't been informed, so not only was that area out of bounds, but our bedroom floor throbbed and vibrated until late. Several calls to reception on the bedroom phone went unanswered, so I ended up calling them externally, after which the bass was allegedly turned down a little. They should not put their guests through that. Little things like exposed screws in the bedroom where various hooks and knobs have fallen off, the bathroom door that wouldn't shut properly. We loved the food, and people were friendly, but it's such a shame as it could have been so much better. And yes, we did report things to reception on checkout, so this should not be a surprise.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wrexham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were given a tiny single room into which somehow they had got a double bed.
The room had a single wardrobe, one chair, one bedside table and reading lamp.
A television fixed to one corner and protruding meant that it was impossible to walk around the bed without being a contortionist.
We had booked a couple of months in advance. Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, we always appreciate all your feedback at Old English Inns and constantly work hard to deliver service and value. We take all reviews seriously and use them as part of our ongoing training within the hotel. Due to the building being been very old and having the charms of an old building there will be characteristic things like room sizes varying, squeaky floorboards. Once again our sincere apologies, and may we thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us, as it is only by receipt of such constructive comments that we are able to improve our standards and quality of our bedrooms.
Kirkby-in-Ashfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our room had everything we needed for our stay, it was very warm and clean and the bed was very comfortable. Our room was on the front of the building but it wasn't noisy at all. The en-suite shower room had everything we needed and was spotless. The breakfast was delicious and there was lots of choice. All the staff were friendly and helpful and we would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback, we are really pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Cromwell & hope to see you again very soon!
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Our room was clean and very warm. The beds and pillows were comfortable. There was lots of choice for breakfast, cold options from the buffet and hot options cooked to order. It's a bit of a maze finding your way round upstairs as it is at least two buildings joined together. Our room was at the back of the hotel so nice and quiet. Lots of creaking floorboards as people walked along the corridor but it didn't disturb us and added to the character. Lots of places to put things in the bedroom and bathroom.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for taking time to send us your feedback. I will pass your comments on to our team ,who I’m sure will really appreciate this.

Been to Cromwell Lodge? Share your experiences!