“"A room too far" (not a bridge..)” 4 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Banbury House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Road, Banbury OX16 9AH, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Banbury
ATHENS
“"A room too far" (not a bridge..)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We arrived in Banbury near sunset - a couple of days after the huge rainfall on all England of the early January 2014 days. Best Western Banbury House hotel was a choice of our business consultants,. As veritable Maditerraneans we immediately appreciated the thermal comfort of building interiors, regardless of its age. The service was quick and soon we set off for our rooms. I have been in many places and hotels in my travelling life, but never my room was that far from the lobby as in this occasion. As this hotel is a complicated combination of stuck together buildings, I went up and down numerous staircases till my room and as my clostrophobic fears haunted me again, I videoed the path lobby to room when I came down again for our dinner. As all aged UK hotels all floors are carpet covered but the carpet smells cleanliness (a rare case) and the room is also very clean and simply set. I admired the clever little nothings in my room that prove that the manager does care to offer hotel services with a character and a style (not usual for all Best Western places). The bed is very comfortable and the pillows hard as they should be (not the soft-soft style where you suffocate and fight all night). The bath room is as well clean with the only exception of the very low hot water flow. You had to switch on hot water and wait for 20minutes for the weak water flow to become acceptably warm for your head and body. As we moved to the restaurant before 19.00, we stopped over at the bar and tried a pint of Tetley beer (cold to our wildly happy surprise). In the case you are fond of bitter beers, Tetley is a very good choice. For our dinner I took a vegetable soup with croutons that was velvety nice and prepared smoothly my stomach for the grilled ribbon stake that followed. Not much of a super meat quality but their chef did his best I must admit. We stayed on Tetley beer and that felt even better.
The breakfast next morning was at the expected quality level and our check out took a little bit more than usual time, mostly due to our peculiar demands for company style of invoice issueing.
Banbury House is a warm and happy place to spend your night in this small place. Last but not least, Wi-Fi is free of charge but difficult if your room is too far away (as mine was).

Room Tip: check your room number! If you are put in 130 and carry a heavy luggage, I feel sorry for you..
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Oxon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Spent a great New Years evening at this local hotel. The welcome by staff was good, as was the glass of bubbly . The buffet dinner was excellent, and there was lots of choice for everyone, seconds were the order of the day. The desert was a plated desert served at your table, also good. A lot of effort had been made to make the dinning tables look good, and the extra streamers, balloons etc., were one of the highlights. After the dinner was over the evening continued with a really good disco in an adjoining room, which again every effort had been made to give a festive atmosphere. A good time was had by everyone, and I would certainly recommend this hotel for food and great party nights.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

What a great place for a new years party. Fantastic food and plenty of it, friendly staff and great surroundings. The disco was excellent and created a wonderful atmosphere. Big thank you to all those concerned. Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Buckinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Following a last minute decision to get the family together we decided to get the family together for NYE. I contacted the Banbury House Hotel and could not have been dealt with in more of a helpful, professional and accommodating way than Anna and Lorraine.
They customised a package for me and my family as their main function was fully booked. They arranged a private dining room for us where we could do are own entertainment and the food was served as per the main event. We couldn't wish for more
On arrival at the hotel Lorraine was there to greet us - they had all the details of the party, all our rooms were ready as requested with a couple of family rooms too. They then showed us to the function room which was very spcious and superbly set up ready for NYE. Nothing had been missed we felt very special
During the evening we had Donna as our waitress, she was superb. She ensured everything was just as we required, every little bit of detailed was checked and all the staff were just so helpful - nothing was too much trouble. The buffet food was amazing and very hot and tasty. We could not fault the evening.
The same service continued the next morning - top service from start to finish.
The price was also very reasonable for what we got and the service we received. We will certainly be telling our friends and it is possible we will be back next year
Thank you Lorraine, Anna, Donna and all at Banbury House

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Eindhoven
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Nice Hotel, good service, clean room, staff very friendly.
Breakfast was good and sufficient.
Perfect for a short business trip, location for me was great, WiFi worked perfectly.
Next time same Hotel for me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Arrived at hotel on 21 December to celebrate my wifes birthday.After being stood at reception for 10 minutes we rang bell and were rewarded with our key for our room after a few generally going through the motions welcomes.Our room was clean and tidy and away from the works party which was scheduled for that night.Breakfast was good with excellent service and a well cooked English breakfast on day 1 with d=good quality products & on day 2 a lovely salmon and eggs and smoked kippers for my wife.Overall a good clean hotel but nothing spectacular which is ideal for a visit to Banbury.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport Pagnell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stopped Thursday Friday and Saturday night, purely because my husband was in the hospital 5 minutes up the road. The girls on reception went out of their way to be as pleasant and helpful as they could, (despite being extremely busy ) putting me in a room away from the festive merriment going on in the rest of the hotel. We has a meal together on the Thursday evening, which was to a very pleasant high standard, then early the morning of his operation the night porter tried to ease our hospital fears! The room was a good size, the bed lovely and comfortable and the staff went out of their way to keep me in the same room. It was cleaned each day and they brought me breakfast in the room as I still had work to do, the wifi came in very useful and I got into the internet without any trouble. The only downside was that my laptop was slightly too big to go in the safe. Hopefully we will go back in the spring for a break and a better look around Banbury

Room Tip: Front rooms faced the road, and I must of been right on the end. My husband went into hospital for a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Banbury House Hotel? Share your experiences!