“OK for the one night we stayed there” 3 of 5 stars

The Lismore Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61 Oxford Road, Banbury OX16 9AJ, England   |
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Banbury
merseyside
“OK for the one night we stayed there”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

Stayed here for one night. Not difficult to find but if the hotel is on your left then take the turning before to get to the car park at the rear. If you go up to the lights you have gone too far!
Arrived and went through side entrance. Welcomed by a man who I presume is the owner. We had booked a twin room as I was with a relative. Man said we were booked into a double. Told him that I had booked directly on his website and specifically a twin. Anyhow it didn't seem to be a problem and he took us to another room.
Went up a few floors then up a very small windy set of stairs. Room was ok. Wardrobe, tv on wall, ironing board, iron, selection of drinks and a kettle. No views from the room as we were in what I presume is the attic area. Only window was behind one of the beds and was quite high and small.
Bathroom consisted of a shower , sink and toilet. Very small but just about manageable.
Cleanliness was a little hit and miss as some areas in the room(especially inside the kettle) and the bathroom looked like they hadn't been cleaned properly for a while. Saying that I don't mean it was dirty , just needed a more thorough clean.
Shower didn't work very well which we didn't find out until the morning we were leaving, more of a trickle rather than a jet of water!
On leaving nobody was at the desk area. Waited a few minutes then a woman (breakfast staff) came through and asked if we were leaving. I said yes and gave her the keys, went to say thank you but she just carried on into the breakfast room. Not the best way to say goodbye to a guest!
Be aware that you might not be able to park your car in the hotels car park. It isn't very big and by the looks of it fills up quickly. We had to park quite a distance away late at night. Not the best scenario.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
wakefield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

good value,nice food,clean rooms and nice breakfast walking distance to town centre and nice evening meal.quiet room chalet style at the rear of hotel.would recommend

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

Reading these other reviews I'm amazed at the praise The Lismore gets. The hotel is old fashioned, the staff were the basic average of what you'd expect at a hotel and the scambled egg was disgusting. I don't usually give bad reviews but then we normally stay in better places.

This was a last resort as my boyfriend had to see his family near Banbury last minute. They have made half the car park into rooms, looks like a motel entrance. They are done so poorly I don't know why they bothered. The decorations were horrible, the boarders didn't match and they got paint all over the windows. The bathroom stank of mould, the room was small. They put a tv on the wall but if the person sleeping on that side needed to get up in the night they would have knocked themselves out. The door had a window so it got light really early. The towel rail collapsed when I touched it so all the towels fell into the toilet. It was noisy all night

On the plus point it was very clean...I have to give them that.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
kamikazii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Easy to find. Check in was very efficient. the room was extremely comfy and the shower was amongst the best. We managed to squeeze in a late drink at the bar and the owner was extremely accomodating considering how nailed I was. Had a great nights sleep but had a filthy swine of a hangover. Check out was just as efficient Car Parking was good. Great selection of drinks in the bar!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
rotherham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

After staying in various hotel's in the banbury area the lismore is now my first choice.Whether it's a buisness trip or leisure the lismore has all the home comforts.
The hotel staff are very friendly and welcoming .With a bar and resturant there's need to go out in banbury to find anywhere to eat. The food is excellent with a vast range to choose from.The room's are spacious, clean and well furnished with all facilities you need. Highly recommended !

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
WREXHAM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

This Hotel has come in for some criticism in reviews I have read but both myself and family could find absolutely no fault whatsoever with our stay at this delightful hotel.
The Hotel has great British charm and character both externally and internally, sadly on the decline in Britain today, and is decorated to a very high and tasteful standard.
The bedroom was very large and spotlessly clean with a very comfortably 4 poster bed and 3 full size beds for the children.
Not only did the room come with a free tea and coffee making facility but also cartons of fruit juice and biscuits had been supplied, which I have never known before unless in very expensive 4 and 5 star hotels as part of the mini bar which is an additional cost, which we assumed were for our 3 children aged 9, 13 and 18.
I have stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels and trust me this hotel is on a par with these. Also as the 3rd Child was 18 years old and the room was for 2 adults and 3 children ( aged 7 and below) upon speaking to the manager he was more than happy to accomodate all of us as a typical family of 2 adults and 3 children at no extra cost. Believe me this is rare and demonstrates the family friendy approach this hotel has.
We intend staying at this place again. All as I can say is give it a try. The management and staff are very friendly and breakfast superb.
It would appear that a lot of time,effort and money has been spent in bringing this hotel upto the excellent standard we found it to be in on our visit and if the previous reviews are to be believed, which I have no doubt were written in the honest manner that I have written this review, then the management team need to be rewarded for their efforts and given the chance to prove that they run a very well run, clean, charming and friendly hotel which we certainly found to be the case on our visit. We wish these people every success. Finally I am the first to complain when things are not right and I believe this should be the case. I am also the first to pay compliments when things are very good,
This review is therefore a full compliment to all concerned at the Lismore Hotel who provided us with a great stay.
The Johnson Family Wales

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
West Yorks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

Had a fantastic weekend in Banbury, Had a very warm welcome on arrival by the friendly staff. Rooms were clean and very spacious, the beds and laundry were very clean. Breakfast was well presented with a good choice. The owner showed us the new improvments he was doing and told us about the future plans for the Hotel. What we saw we were greatly impressed with. Hopefully all should be completed on our next visit.

• Liked — Close to town, for shopping etc.
  • Disliked — Up hill walk from town.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Lismore Hotel? Share your experiences!