“Save your money” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Banbury, United Kingdom
“Save your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

This has to be one of the worst eating experiences I have EVER had. The calamari starter was dreadful, several pieces were overcooked to burned and the other half bordering raw. It had clearly been cooked in old dirty oil as there were remnants of previous cooking, by this I mean the burnt coatings which must be floating around in it. I called the waiter and asked him to take it away, I was offered another which I refused and wanted it taken off the bill.

The main was chicken and ribs, a total waste of money, ribs were just that RIBS with no meat on and the chicken was no better. My colleague was not impressed with his meal, he had pasta, how the hell can you mess that up but F&B can manage it.

We are here in Banbury for the next 5 months working staying at the Holiday Inn, they have lost me forever, and I will tell everyone to steer clear of this chain of pirates, poor quality food, cooked poorly and sold at London prices.

My advice, find a Harvester, at least it is consistent, fairly decent food cooked properly at a reasonable cost.

To top it off the calamari was on the bill, it was taken off eventually. I did leave a tip however, my tip was to close down and spare the people of Banbury future torture!

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Telford, United Kingdom
“Excellent service and good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We shared bread and olives to start. The balsamic vinegar was heavenly. My son had a mushroom and cheese calzone and I had penne arrabiata. Both were great. Also had a fantastic bottle of rioja. The staff were really friendly and easy going.

Visited January 2014
“Terrible experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Terrible, booked a table for 14 for an 18th birthday to arrive on the day and the table had not been booked and then to top it off there was no steak. Never returning

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gairloch, United Kingdom
“2nd try, but still not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I have had a bad experience at a different Frankie & Benny's, the pasta being horrible as well as having a hair in it. After being advised by friends that they are no good for pasta, only pizzas and burgers, I decided to try again and get a burger. I can't remember the name of it, but it came with a peppercorn sauce. I may as well have been eating a bun full of salt, as that is all I could taste. I couldn't believe how salty it was, it was just ridiculous and disguised any other taste that the burger might have had. I think this cost over £11... I was expecting something pretty impressive, as I have been to the Gourmet Burger Kitchen before, where I had a fantastic burger that cost around £8!

I then decided to go for a hot chocolate, again pretty expensive. It was cold and topped with artificial cream from a spray can, so that just concluded what I had previously thought about Frankie and Benny's - looks inviting, but is seriously disappointing and very over-priced. Unfortunately I will not be going back, as this was their 2nd chance!

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
York, United Kingdom
“Saturday night meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

F & B's is next door to the Holiday Inn in Banbury where we were staying for a few days. So we chose it primarily for its convenience after a long journey with small children. It was moderately busy and well staffed. We were shown to our seats promptly. Our hungry kids were served very quickly. The kiddies menu seemed reasonably varied and little ones could even customise their own pizzas. We adults all had the calamari as a starter. It was ok, but a little over-seasoned and a fairly small portion for £6.50ish each. Our main courses were good on the whole. After all the Christmas overindulgence, I picked a lighter choice pizza marinara. It consisted of a few prawns and anchovies tossed onto a tomato pizza base for £10ish. It was just about edible with a salty sharp tomato taste but I felt it was really overpriced for the toppings. Now I love anchovies and seafood but I'd definitely wouldn't choose that particular pizza again. Someone else had a burger which was good. But the standout meal was actually the vegetarian pizza. It was absolutely delicious and I wish I had chosen it. To summarise, we all thought the food was reasonably good - it's a chain, so what do you expect? It came to an eye-watering £94 which my sister kindly paid. She thought it was a bit steep for casual dining. However, despite the grumbles we would go back again but choose differently. The staff were really lovely and very attentive to us and the kids.

• Visited December 2013