“I think I got an off night” 4 of 5 stars

01295 690615
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Inn at Farnborough is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 154 Restaurants in Banbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“I think I got an off night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've heard so many good things about the Inn, but my experience didn't meet my expectations. I could easily see the potential for my expectations to be fulfilled but something just wasn't there.
I will be returning with the hope my expectations are fulfilled

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Banbury, United Kingdom
“I love this place for a romantic meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Book in advance!

This place is popular, and rightly so. Food is fresh, high quality and presentation is high class. I have loved every meal from here. Selection is faultless and the burger is SO good.

Great romantic pub setting, not many tables though so grab while you can!

Service is excellent!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Disappointing return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have eaten at the Inn twice. The first time was on a wet Sunday in the summer. Service and food was excellent and the pub buzzing. The Landlord was particuarly active running front of house. We were expecting a great time for our second visit.

So with excitement we returned for a second time. This on a Thursday evening just before Christmas. We had planned to have a lovely meal out to celebrate the start of our Christmas holiday. I prebooked a table for two expecting the usual Christmas party scene to have booked a lot of tables. I had prebooked so far in advance that I forgot what time we made the booking for. A quick call before hand and the staff didnt seem to have any recollection of our booking (they did have it recorded in the end) and there was no 'we are looking forward to seeing you' etc. etc. Things didnt get off to a good start when we noticed our table for two was right on the walkway to both the toilets and from the bar to restaurant. We didn't say anything at the time as we felt that it would be fine (given our experience the previous time). It was disappointing though that other tables for two which hadnt been reserved were better placed in the restaurant. Surely those who prebook get the best tables dont they?

The waiting staff were a complete contrast to our first visit. Disinterested, not engaged, slow to notice empty glasses, forget drinks orders etc. The food was reasonable. The main, we both went for steak, was nothing special and a bit run of the mill. Cheese board for pudding was bland and not exciting. The starters were good. The biggest issue was the food was delivered too quickly. There must have been four minutes between the starter and the main and about four minutes between ordering and the starter arriving. I don't mind places having the starters all ready to go but I do like to at least feel that it hasnt been sat under a heat lamp for the last hour, even if it has! It felt like we were being forced to eat fast. In fact the total 'eating' time was 40 minutes for three courses. With uninterested staff and such a fast meal service it felt like they couldnt wait to get rid of us. This was in complete contrast to our two hour two course leisurely sunday lunch previously.

All in all we left disappointed and won't be going back. Service was poor and the whole meal was just way too rushed in parts and slow in others (thirty mins for a Coke order- we had all but finished our pudding by then!). It is such a great shame that we wont go back. Maybe our expectations were too high after the first visit.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hampshire
“A fabulous family Christmas Eve lunch by the fire.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Continuing a little family tradition we started four years back, my parents and I booked our {favourite} spot next to the fire in the bar area for Christmas Eve lunch. Living in Southampton I take every opportunity to visit The Inn when staying with my parents who live in the next village. Christmas Eve was no exception and given the bar and restaurant were full we had the most enjoyable and relaxing lunch. My father was the only one to opt for a starter, which was the special of scallops, king prawns and sea bass fillet, sweet, creamy fish. The choice of main did not disappoint either, two of us had the slow roasted pheasant which was quite a surprising dish. Mounds of shredded meaty, well hung pheasant wrapped in crispy prosciutto served with colourful balls of winter veg, dauphinoise and rich jus. (It was so good I had it again two days later!) My mother had been poorly of late and as usual requested something not on the menu (she does this when well too!) a smaller portion of the fish cakes with spinach, hollandaise and skinny fries. She got exactly what she'd fancied and devoured every mouthful. The waiter was patient and calm with our requests given the number of tables they were serving. To finish we ordered the crème brûlée and three spoons. Perfect after a rich lunch, light lemony brûlée and an fresh orange sorbet - I could eat it again now! The only disappointment was we didn't all have the fishy starter but its ok, we'll be back again soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Inn doesn't have the best location, in an area where a great location is almost a given pretty much everywhere, but it makes up for it with a very cosy and charming interior (check out the lovely "library" room!) and, of course, excellent food.
Only minor criticism: a starter portion of smoked salmon looked like someone in the kitchen had turned the salmon into cling-film, so thinly it was sliced, and definitely not enough even for a girl on a first date!
Apart from that, food was very nice and puds excellent! I'd definitely go back.

• Visited December 2012