“Great start to my birthday weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: There isn't a street address I'm afraid
Byfield, United Kingdom
“Great start to my birthday weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I was a bit apprehensive when my husband said he had booked a table here, especially after reading such bad reviews on here.
I have to say we were presently surprised.
We visited on the last Friday in November so were expecting it to be quite busy but there were only 5 tables in there all evening.
The food was delicious and the staff were very attentive, the waitress was clearly new as she admitted she was having a problem getting used to pouring the wine, but she was very nice all the same. The only disappointment was the dessert, the choice was quite limited and the Eton Mess had banana in it but the restaurant manager did advise us of this so I went for something else instead.
We will definitely be back.

Visited November 2013

Banbury, United Kingdom
“Oh dear!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Have been to The Black Boy a couple of times for a drink and found ourselves there again on Sunday last. Oh dear! There was a young family sitting in the bar who were clearly friends of some of the staff as the staff were sitting down with them. Then when they had left the kitchen staff came and occupied the vacant seats and proceeded to discuss kitchen and restaurant business in front of customers - and not all of it complimentary.
Not what you want to be hearing when you have popped in for a quiet evening drink. We have recently purchased a voucher offer for a steak meal at this establishment and are no regretting the purchase.
You would get this atmosphere in a Weatherspoons - they would be much more professional!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxfordshire
“The best steak Meal ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

When we phoned to book the week before we were told that the new Steak menu was being rolled out this week.
We went early on Saturday evening. The staff were very attentive and really pleasant. I had the fillet steak, my husband had swordfish, my daughter had the burger which was more than a meal in itself. My son had the rump steak. The portions were more than adequate and all the plates went back to the kitchen Empty. This is the best steak meal I have ever had.
This is a small quaint village pub with high class food and great staff with very reasonable prices.
We will definitely be coming again.
Marco you should be very proud of your staff, restaurant and food.

Visited January 2014
London
“Don't trust the name”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We expected a lot. They delivered so little. Small menu - yet fish starter ordered was not available. Waitress said out of stock because Marco is changing the menu in two weeks time! So I guess there will be nothing to order at all in a week if they run stocks down this far in advance. I thought fish would be delivered daily. Clearly not the case. Staff were disinterested. Food was over-seasoned - still thirsty 4 hours after the meal. Zero atmosphere. Bright lights hanging 2 feet over table make for good interrogation - but not a romantic dinner - had to ask for the light to be strung up. Only two other tables dining and bar empty. We struggled to choose from the tiny menu options. Other table was offered additional option of the Sunday to Thursday menu. It was Friday. We were not offered this option. No surprise that the place was empty. We will not be returning.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Banbury, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Pleasant surroundings. Meal ok but not a lot of choice and could do with a menu change. The service was slow and poor. Incorrect glasses on the table for our bottle of fizz. Service was slow and sloppy.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere