“Comfortable hotel with friendly staff but... Noisey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Basildon

You added Holiday Inn Basildon to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Basildon
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Waterfront Walk | Cranes Farm Road, Basildon SS14 3DG, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Basildon
“Comfortable hotel with friendly staff but... Noisey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed one night as I was working locally and wanted to avoid a 110 mile commute. Check-in was efficient and the staff attentive. My room was a double non-smoking and was a good size. The view was not all that; it overlooked the retail park and the restaurant next door. As I was quite tired, I decided to have my evening meal at the hotel. The restaurant was closed but the hotel bar was serving a full menu. The service was a little slow and I had to ask for a member of staff for a drink and again for my subsequent food order. The food was tasty and helped make-up for the slow service. During my meal there was a staff change-over that was fortunate as the subsequent service for dessert and coffee courses was much improved.

Retiring to my room I noticed that there was a choice of pillow (soft, medium, hard etc) that was a nice touch. The in-room air con didn't seem to do much, so I opened the window and settled down for the evening. Some time later I was rudely awakened to what I can only describe as a "Santa Pod" experience except that the participating cars were 1.0 litre small hatchbacks rather than thumping V8's and the like. This noise went on for several hours so clearly a regular unchecked night event? I would have expected that the retail park would have benefitted from security patrols that could have taken care of the disturbance. This unpleasantness much be costing the hotel business.

The next morning the restaurant was open for the breakfast service. The choice of cold meats/fruits/cereals and cooked breakfast was of a standard you would expect. The kitchen staff helpfully made me a salmon omelette to order that was a nice touch. Check-out was swift, although I think I missed the busiest time.

I would strongly recommend that the hotel petitions the private security company to improve the patrols on the retail park to avoid "boy racer fest".

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Daniel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Richard

Thank you so much for such great feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

Aplogogies that the service was a little slow during your meal, i hope this did not take too much away from your dining experience.

I have also noted the kind comments regarding other areas of the hotel and have fed these back to the team.

I can assure you we are working closely with the leisure park next door to eradicate the rare occurance we get from car noise in their car park.

I hope to see you again soon.

Daniel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I booked an overnight stay at this hotel for a business trip, after a horrendous journey on the M25
I was greeted by a reception called Caroline, she welcomed me and my partner to the Holiday Inn and very promptly checked us in. As she was doing this she told of of their loyalty scheme and asked us if it would be of interest to us, as I use hotels for business in the UK at least 2-6 times a month I thought it would be a good idea, rather than delay us she gave us an information leaflet and two vouchers entitling us to a free drink each at the bar.
We were given full instruction on where our room was situated in the hotel and told if we needed further assistance in any way just ask.
The room was adequate in size and overlooked the beautiful garden area. A lovely big bed with clean crisp linen, also a good selection of beverages.
We had a great nights sleep and would definitely return to this Hotel.
The only disappointment was that breakfast was not served until 7.30am at the weekend and there was no option for a continental breakfast being delivered to the room before this time which we have had in other hotels.

Room Tip: If you are there for longer than an overnight stay the rooms overlooking the gardens are a bonus.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Daniel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Lorraine

Thank you so much for the kind comments regarding our Reception team here at Basildon.

I have ensured that the team are aware of these comments and Caroline in particular.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend for a friends birthday. Room was nice, clean and a good size. We had a non smoking room but everytime I walked in I could smell smoke. Think it was coming from outside. The other problem is if you are on the lake side of the hotel, very pretty view but the swans make a hell of a noise!! They woke us up every morning! The rooms are also very hot and you can't use the a/c. It's also very close to the pubs and clubs so you get some noise from that. But a great location if you that's what your going for.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay here at Basildon Holiday Inn. I am very happy to see your room was clean and of a good standard.

The Swans have started to move away from the lake so if you were to return to us then i am confident that this would not be an issue next time.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I booked a night here with my wife for a quiet weekend break, Big mistake as it would seem half the people staying at this hotel are coming in from the nearby clubs at all hours of the night and are obviously drunk, loud and rude.
Woken up several times in the night by noisy drunken neighbours.
Also this is the first hotel I have stayed at that have bouncers on the doors at night.
Somebody must have thought they could have a crafty cigarette in their room as the fire alarm went off at 7:30 am on Sunday morning and we all had to be evacuated to the car park.
I have stayed at hundreds of Hotels through work and this was my worst experience I have ever had.
I just wish they had had a money back guarantee like premiere inn

• Stayed October 2012
Daniel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Having read your comments, please contact me directly so that we can discuss the broken nights sleep you encountered at the hotel.

I would like the opportunity to resolve this.

Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Basildon hotels

Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel can not deny it is ageing. My executive room had stains on the carpet (as most of the corridors have) and broken floor tiles in the bathroom. The room itself was OK but the bathroom was too small, oldfashioned and worn-out.

Breakfast was quite OK although the food was the same every day and after five days you did not want to see bacon, eggs and toast any more. The athmosphere, the furniture and the presentation of the food could be much better. The room had a great view of the lake and staff was friendly and very efficient.

Service: I forgot my UK adapter and they could not help me at the reception, they were "out of adapters because the guests don't bring them back". Delivering a newspaper to your door in the morning (which is standard for Priority Club Platinum members) worked in one of five nights and at the end of my stay I found a fee for that newspaper on my invoice. Sometimes there was not even a newspaper available at the reception. Housekeeping did not refill the toiletry and when I asked the frontdesk they could provide only part of the toiletry.

Definitely the best feature of this hotel is that they give you free vouchers for the Fitness First Club which is 500 yds away.

Hint: Beware of several speed cameras between Basildon and the A130.

Bottom line: Ok to go there but don't expect too much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Carlos

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay here at Basildon Holiday Inn. We take all comments seriously and ensure the team are aware of all feedback.

I can confirm that the hotel is on a re-tiling program to bring up the standard of the tiling in a few of the bathrooms that need work. We are also constantly spot cleaning our carpets and have a carpet cleaning program in place.

It is great to see that the team looked after you well and that you appreciated the complimentary Fitness First vouchers.

We hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Riyadh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We really loved our stay at HI Basildon. Husband on business and me accompanying for pleasure. We booked a single night and arrived around 6pm. We are Platinum status in the priority club and were checked in by a friendly receptionist who gave us a choice of gift: biscuits or a jar of sweets. Also 2 vouchers for free drinks at the bar. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we couldn't be bothered to change, so went next door for a take away pizza. As has previously been mentioned their are many food outlets within very easy walking distance.
Two days after our stay I realised I had left my hair straighteners in the room. After ringing up and housekeeping ringing me back, it was established that the straighteners were with them. They offered to post, but as we were still in the area we decided to collect them and stay there again. They were packaged up and waiting for us when we checked in.
Couldn't have asked for better service. That evening we ordered the sausage and mash on room service and it was lovely - and very reasonably priced too. Should mention here that our first night was a fair price but due to the second booking being short notice, it was comparatively expensive.
Will certainly stay at this one again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Daniel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for this great review of the hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel and we were able to get your straightners back to you.

I hope we may welcome you back in the furture.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stay in a lot of Holiday Inn's but this is my favourite. I'm not sure if it's because of the hotel or the location though! The hotel is clean, friendly & serves an excellent breakfast with choice & lots of it. The best part about the hotel has to be it's location. Within walking distance you have a Pizza Hut, Pizza Express, Harvester, TGI, Carvery, Sky Sports Bar, Cinema, Chinese & probably more! If you are a priority rewards member, ask to play spin the wheel on arrival for bonuses!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr_A50

What fantastic comments, thank you so much for taking the time to give us this kind feedback.

I have made the team aware of your comments and they are greatly received.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Operations Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Basildon? Share your experiences!