“Ageing hotel - nice lake - poor service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Basildon

You added Holiday Inn Basildon to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Basildon
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Waterfront Walk | Cranes Farm Road, Basildon SS14 3DG, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Basildon
Frankfurt, Germany
“Ageing hotel - nice lake - poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel can not deny it is ageing. My executive room had stains on the carpet (as most of the corridors have) and broken floor tiles in the bathroom. The room itself was OK but the bathroom was too small, oldfashioned and worn-out.

Breakfast was quite OK although the food was the same every day and after five days you did not want to see bacon, eggs and toast any more. The athmosphere, the furniture and the presentation of the food could be much better. The room had a great view of the lake and staff was friendly and very efficient.

Service: I forgot my UK adapter and they could not help me at the reception, they were "out of adapters because the guests don't bring them back". Delivering a newspaper to your door in the morning (which is standard for Priority Club Platinum members) worked in one of five nights and at the end of my stay I found a fee for that newspaper on my invoice. Sometimes there was not even a newspaper available at the reception. Housekeeping did not refill the toiletry and when I asked the frontdesk they could provide only part of the toiletry.

Definitely the best feature of this hotel is that they give you free vouchers for the Fitness First Club which is 500 yds away.

Hint: Beware of several speed cameras between Basildon and the A130.

Bottom line: Ok to go there but don't expect too much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Daniel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Carlos

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay here at Basildon Holiday Inn. We take all comments seriously and ensure the team are aware of all feedback.

I can confirm that the hotel is on a re-tiling program to bring up the standard of the tiling in a few of the bathrooms that need work. We are also constantly spot cleaning our carpets and have a carpet cleaning program in place.

It is great to see that the team looked after you well and that you appreciated the complimentary Fitness First vouchers.

We hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Riyadh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We really loved our stay at HI Basildon. Husband on business and me accompanying for pleasure. We booked a single night and arrived around 6pm. We are Platinum status in the priority club and were checked in by a friendly receptionist who gave us a choice of gift: biscuits or a jar of sweets. Also 2 vouchers for free drinks at the bar. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we couldn't be bothered to change, so went next door for a take away pizza. As has previously been mentioned their are many food outlets within very easy walking distance.
Two days after our stay I realised I had left my hair straighteners in the room. After ringing up and housekeeping ringing me back, it was established that the straighteners were with them. They offered to post, but as we were still in the area we decided to collect them and stay there again. They were packaged up and waiting for us when we checked in.
Couldn't have asked for better service. That evening we ordered the sausage and mash on room service and it was lovely - and very reasonably priced too. Should mention here that our first night was a fair price but due to the second booking being short notice, it was comparatively expensive.
Will certainly stay at this one again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Daniel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for this great review of the hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel and we were able to get your straightners back to you.

I hope we may welcome you back in the furture.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stay in a lot of Holiday Inn's but this is my favourite. I'm not sure if it's because of the hotel or the location though! The hotel is clean, friendly & serves an excellent breakfast with choice & lots of it. The best part about the hotel has to be it's location. Within walking distance you have a Pizza Hut, Pizza Express, Harvester, TGI, Carvery, Sky Sports Bar, Cinema, Chinese & probably more! If you are a priority rewards member, ask to play spin the wheel on arrival for bonuses!

Dear Mr_A50

What fantastic comments, thank you so much for taking the time to give us this kind feedback.

I have made the team aware of your comments and they are greatly received.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The hotel was easy enough to find, with free parking which is a rarity these days !!
The staff here were lovely, guy on the bar, Craig i think his name was! Gave us some good advice on where to head to. Nightclubs are literally next door to the hotel which was handy :) !! No taxi fares !!
Breakfast was good although it did take a while for things to be replenished, there was a wedding the night before so there were a lot of guests, but once asked things were put straight out.
Rooms were clean and decor was updated !
Check out was a breeze!
Would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jenny

Thank you for posting your kind comments here on Tripa Advisor, regarding your recent experience here at Basildon Holiday Inn.

It is great to see that you really enjoyed your stay and i have made the team and Craig aware of your great feedback.

I hope to see you again in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

All of the following happened, and I was there for every incident. Other incidents occurred, but i was not present for these, so have not mentioned them.

If people are travelling here, to visit Sugar Hut in Brentwood, then please do so with caution. As I was a member of a group of 5 people (3 girls, 2men) with harsh treatment. Upon arrival on 24.8.12, the staff seemed friendly and very helpful. But straight away there was a problem with one of the key cards for one of the three rooms we had booked. We went to reception 5 minutes after checking in, to have the card reactivated, it then worked. This wasnt a problem at all, as these things happen.

BUT

After attending a nightclub in Brentwood, and having a fantastic night, we returned to the hotel at approximately 3.45 am. 2 bouncers and 2 members of hotel staff straight away met us, outside of our taxi. Yes we had, had a drink (not an extensive amount), BUT we were in fact, fully aware of what was going on. We were greeted with attitude and spoken to with utter contempt upon exiting the taxi, asking us in a VERY disrespectful manner if we actually had a room booked at this hotel. When we replied we did, they asked which room number, and we were then allowed into the hotel. Entering the hotel, 4 of us waited for the lift, while 1 member of the group walked up the stairs (the room was only 1 flight of stairs up). The group both arrived at the rooms at roughly the same time.

When arriving at the rooms, we were immediately accosted by a member of security telling us there had been a report of loud noise from our group. This was to my dismay as we had been in the hotel for a mere 60 seconds, and not even been near any rooms. But we didnt say anything else, and we went back to one room, just to check everyone was ok, and to arrange what time to meet the following day, for a day of sight seeing. The arrangements lasted for literally 5 minutes. After this, 2 of the members of the group went to go back to their room. I watched them leave the room, and waited to see if they got into their room ok. Leaving just a girl who has not long turned 21 and her sister. As the couple left, there were numerous members of security congregating along the corridor, and were watching the couple go to their room, while also watching myself. When they got to the room, the key card, YET AGAIN, was not working and would not let them gain access. Upon this, the security said that the couple were too drunk and disorderly to open the door! Obviously being told this, is not going to go down too well, especially when it is through no fault of their own the key card was not working. A heated exchange happened, leading to the male out of the couple, being accused of carrying out 'knock door runs' within the hotel (all of this i heard with my own ears). Again, I find this hard to believe, as we hadn't been in the hotel long enough, and it is not something that a 29-year-old SENSIBLE male is really going to partake in, by himself, for a 'laugh'! When the couple argued back against the accusation, they were told they were too drunk to remain on the premises, and to get their things, as they were no longer welcome in the hotel. They were 'frog marched' into their room to literally pack everything and to go downstairs to speak to the manager.

As this was happening, I went back into my room, to tell the 2 girls what was happening. I said the best thing to do, is leave them to it, as we will make matters worse if we get involved. SO i got into bed. All of a sudden three members of security were BANGING loudly on the door of the room I was in, demanding for the door to be opened. One of the girls opened the door, the security brushed past her and barged into the room. Imagine the surprise when I am lying in bed to see a security man standing over the bed, shouting at the young girl to get out the room and to get back to her room, whilst another security guard asked us to hand over the spare security card we were looking after for the couple that were being thrown out the hotel. The security guard then told us we had been smoking in the room, and as NONE of the party are smokers, and as there has been a history of illness in a member of the groups family caused by smoking many years ago, this also caused great offence!!! He then again shouted at the girl (who was now in tears) to get back to her room otherwise we would be ejected too!!! She refused to, as she was very upset and didn't want to be left alone in a room, with how the security were being by forcing themselves into rooms! I got out of bed and got dressed, and went to go downstairs to try and calm the situation, to which I was berated at, and told to GET BACK INSIDE OR YOU WILL BE THROWN OUT. I refused to go back inside, as I wanted to then know what was going on, as I felt I was being unfairly spoken to. The security left us upset, and in the room, not knowing what was going on downstairs! So I went downstairs.

When I arrived downstairs the couple being ejected from the hotel, were speaking with the manager, and he was saying that their attitudes were shocking, and they have everything on CCTV to prove their behaviour. When I challenged the manager to show the evidence, and that if its proved they are in the wrong, they will gladly apologise and leave, he refused to show the evidence. The debate carried on, and ended with the security guards towering over the girl in the couple, and being intimidating, using foul language, and being disrespectful towards her. The security then left the hotel, and myself, and the couple remained discussing the incident. The couple decided to leave, said they would try book in elsewhere for the remaining few hours of sleep they could have. When they said this, the member of staff's attitude changed towards them completely, and asked them to stay. At this point, it had gone too far for the couple involved to say ok. So they went to check in elsewhere. The other hotel was fully booked, so they ended up sleeping in their car.

The next day, the couple and I came in to speak to the hotel staff, and it was agreed they would be allowed to remain in the hotel. This was an amicable agreement, but due to the events and complete lack of sleep, they were unable to go and sight see with the rest of us the next day, as they needed to try and have some sleep.

On the Saturday night of being able to stay in the hotel, the group met in my room, just to watch TV, and chill out. We went to the bar downstairs to buy 5 soft drinks for the room, to which one of the security guards was talking to the bar staff, when we arrived at the bar, the security guard gave us a dirty look, and walked off. The bar lady then spoke to us with a disgusted tone, and 'snatched' the money from us for the drinks. From then on, whenever we passed reception, or the bar, the staff made us feel uncomfortable!

On the Saturday there was also a function in the hotel, and the noise that came from the function was horrendous. This noise went on till at least 2 in the morning. Yet, we witnessed none of the treatment we received, being dished out to these people.

I think maybe the security and some staff need to be sent on a customer care course, a review of the policies to take place, and maybe a review of the security contractors is needed. If we weren't normally such a placid bunch of people, then I can imagine that the situation could've got a lot worse!

Yes we had been drinking, but I fail to believe with Weddings and other functions happening in the hotel, that there are not worse cases of loudness and drunkenness. We were not loud and rowdy when entering the hotel, as we are just simply not those sort of people.

I am sure if this hadn't have occurred, then this review would have been a positive review. So this review is sure not to reflect everyones opinions, but it does reflect my opinion.

We have stopped at many Holiday Inns before, and have never felt this sort of treatment. We will happily stay at a holiday inn again, just not this one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear BrettE1982,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Basildon, England.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Basildon hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Wow! Went here for a wedding my sister had thousands for! And all we got was a whole team of moody staff who made us feel like they were only there because they had to be! One day that is meant to be special for everyone and they spoil it!
Food that was PAID WAY TOO MUCH FOR! Was horrid too! Tasted like a microwave meal that was just horrid!
I think some serious staff training is needed here!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience here at the Holiday Inn Basildon.

I must say i am sorry to read that you felt my team did not offer a pleasant disposition at the wedding you attended, i find this very odd as if you read many of the other comments on our Trip Advisor page you will see that our team throughout the hotel get highly praised for their bright proffessional attitude.

I will ensure that my Banqueting Manager speaks to her team to remind of all of them od the importance of custoemr care.

Once again thank you for the feedback.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

As a business traveller, all I need is cleanliness, comfort, consistency and no hassles. This is what you get at this hotel. The staff appeared competent, cheerful and friendly, although check in took a lot longer than I would have anticipated - check out was quick and efficient. The hotel sorted an Internet problem quickly and waived the charge because the problem was theirs. Bathroom was a little on the small side although this is common for this level of holiday inn.
The hotel is located on the edge of a eEntertainment complex and so their are a number of large chain restaurants and a multiplex within easy walking distance.
I didn't have dinner at the hotel and so can't comment on that.
All in all, good value and consistent with my expectations, can't say fairer than that!

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to see that the hotel was able to offer you eevrything you would have expected in terms of service, loaction and facilities.

I have made sure the team are aware of your comments.

Operations Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Basildon? Share your experiences!