“concerned about bad reviews, but its a "ten from len"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alison Park Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Alison Park Hotel to your Saves list
Alison Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Temple Road | Derbyshire Peak District, Buxton, England   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Buxton
leicester
“concerned about bad reviews, but its a "ten from len"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

concerned after buying wowcher deal,almost did not go,but on arrival very friendly, hotel clean, room clean and recently refurb, this is an old manor style house, yes it had green doors in the corridor but it was not that bad, there was wood chip painted , but the hotel is clean and this is pretty much in keeping and in character for the age of building, has original old coving etc lovely building, bar and longe had traditional oak panels, light and clean restaurant and the food was excellent, staff very polite and proffesional, there was one room being refirbed whilst we were there so obviously aware of previous complaints, but we had great time and will go back again, we have stopped at modern corporate motels that are all plastic , medical clean and look great but are MDF,will last 5 mins like our concrete flats, but this has character and built to last, take in the beauty of history , also council food rating ,5 for food hygiene.

Room Tip: we had room 112 , bright airy yet private,overlooked other large dated properties and felt just rela...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I recently stayed here and chose it specifically because I am intolerant to numerous food groups (including gluten and dairy) and they say that they can cope with this. Went to breakfast and asked what gluten free cereals were available - none. Ordered a cooked breakfast - no gluten free sausages, so all that was available was bacon and a fried egg. I got the same amount of each as my wife who ordered the Full English. there was gluten free toast available and they did provide soya milk for my tea. It would have been nice to have some soya milk and gluten free biscuits available in the room.

Apart from the above, the hotel was good, great location, rooms were OK and the staff friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
West Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Just spent a bracing break in the peak district and stayed at the Alison Park Hotel on a Saturday night.
Very well situated for the Pavilions, theatre and park, great for a stiff walk.
The hotel décor is a little tired but is clean and the owners/staff very helpful and friendly.
At the price I would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We arrived in the afternoon and the first thing we noticed on entering was the all pervading smell of stale cooking oil. Our room was equipped with 'cheap' furniture and fittings and done to an extremely average DIY standard. The carpet was stained and the bathroom was much in need of a refurb. Bedroom doors painted green - interesting! Advertised free Wifi but couldn't get it to work even in the bar.
Breakfast was very good and served by friendly young lady.
We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here earlier this year with a last minute decision to visit Buxton. We got what we asked for, a comfortable room with everything supplied that we wanted. The hotel could perhaps do with a lick of paint, but it is typically English, so our cousins from the good ol' US of A won't perhaps find all that they would think of as normal. So what! You are not in Arkansas now. Breakfast quite OK and very pleasantly served. Good position at the end of the wide path beside the very nice municipal gardens leading into the town centre.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

The family room was lovely. It had a separate bathroom which was large and very clean. Breakfast was lovely and the staff made us feel very welcome. I would recommend this hotel as a relaxed place to stay. It ain't the Hilton, but nor does it pretend to be.

• Stayed October 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed here for just under a week on business and since have advised the travel company who work for the company to remove the hotel from their list of portfolio. When I arrived after work around 6:30/7pm I was advised I couldn't dine in the restaurant as there wasn't enough produce, so OK I had bar snacks instead. The waitress who served me didn't no what the selection of sandwiches was, didn't know was sauces came with the wedges and then wasn't able to serve me alcohol - great. After dinner I went to my room. It honestly looked like the hotel hadn't been renovated since the 70's. It wasn't the cleanest, there was a big lump of hair in my shower.
Breakfast doesn't start till 8:30 - the time I had to be in work, so they kindly offered to open at 8am for me so I could have a cooked breakfast. Very nice of them. However they got the order wrong, and I was the only person eating at this point. How hard can it be to cook scrambled egg and beans on toast? They realised just as I was leaving it was wrong - I couldn't be bothered to complain at this point. The next night/breakfast I didn't bother. My final night I was tired though so decided to go to the restaurant again. I was told again I could only have bar snacks as there wasn't enough produce - really?! Again?! How does this place function? Ok, so I was tired so I let it slide. I ordered a cheese and onion sandwich on brown bread - 30 minutes later it arrived on white bread. Again I couldn't be bothered complaining, until I found a hair in it and then I got really annoyed.
So many other options to stay in Buxton, which I discovered the over the next few weeks, so don't stay here. Check out for me revolved round me leaving them a note and the keys to say I had gone, there was no one around when I left, still in bed I think!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Alison Park Hotel? Share your experiences!