“Gem of a place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cressbrook Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buxton
Cressbrook Hall
Cressbrook, Nr. Buxton, Buxton SK17 8SY, England   |
Ranked #14 of 40 Buxton B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Gem of a place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I found this gem of a place after looking at many places on visit the peak district website. I was visiting the Peak District on business & as I had a long journey up from the south coast thought I ought to make the most of the National Park & stay on for a few days. I also took my parents with me who had never visited the Peak District, so booked the Wednesday, Thursday & Friday nights (24 - 27 April). The house looked lovely from the drive & the location was stunning. Bobby, her daughter & other members of staff were very friendly & could not do enough for us. We were made to feel very welcome in their home. Breakfast was substantial & well cooked & set in a dining room overlooking fantastic views. Normally I do not stop in B&B's - generally stop in hotels, but this was a wonderful surprise & would happily recommend this place if you wish a tranquil location with stunning views. A charming place with charming people.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cheshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had our Wedding Blessing at a nearby church in Ashford-in-the Water followed by a reception and evening party at Cressbrook Hall. My husband and I live in Cheshire so we stayed on the Friday and Saturday night in one of the cottages. As most of our family and friends were travelling quite a distance they took over most of the other cottages on the Saturday night. Our cottage was lovely and as far as I know all my guest were more than happy with their accommodation.

On the Saturday everything went ahead just as planned and everyone commented on how beautiful the setting and the Hall was. The staff at Cressbrook did everything they possibly could for us and our guests. All the little things that I had requested had been taken care of. vegetarians, children, specific wine orders, seating layout, timings, etc., everything was just as I had asked. The food and drink was excellent and the bar prices are exceptionally reasonable for this type of event and venue.

The owner has been superb through all of the problems we had prior to the event (which included a death and being snowed in). In the end, we had a superb weekend with friends and family and everyone seemed extremely happy with everything.

Unfortunately, my photographer hasn't come back with our photos yet or I would have added some to show how beautiful the venue looked - especially as the sun came out for us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband & I booked creesbrook BB for a weekend get away, the house is gorgeous and location is beautiful, the only downside was the decor of the bedrooms do not match the Communal area standards. Breakfast room is a lovely setting, the only downside was there was no optional choice on cooked Breakfast. Service could be much better to reflect the price of stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Derby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend with a few relatives to celebrate our very small wedding in Bakewell registry office. The house is gorgeous and location is really beautiful. I loved the traditional decor and rooms were really large and lovely. Only downfall of rooms was that they were quite cold, although little heaters were provided. We had a gorgeous bathroom with roll top bath, lovely! The lounge area is stunning with great views and lovely fire which staff kept burning.
I have to say the owner and staff were pleasant but not very accommodating at times. For example breakfast was at a set time which seemed to be to suit them other than us. I requested an earlier breakfast on wedding day so I could have hair done and owner seemed quite inflexible. We were offered a light breakfast which suited us but felt it was quite a hassle. Breakfast was served without asking what everyone wanted which was slightly weird. Again we felt maybe to make it easier for owner/ staff.
We were called 2 days before our booking to say drive was inaccessible due to snow. Of course this is not the fault of the owner but we did feel she didn't want to offer much help with our situation.
If you're looking for a gorgeous house/ rooms for a stay where you'll do your own thing this place is gorgeous. If you're looking for service e.g. Planning a wedding or such then be wary as not the most accommodating of places. You almost have to fit in with them.

• Stayed March 2013
percelina, Owner at Cressbrook Hall, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Stayed on the weekend when we experienced the worst weather for 27 years. We telephoned to warn of the appalling road conditions, passable only with 4 w.d.

Our oil delivery had been unable to get through but we had sufficient fuel to heat the guest rooms, we also provided additional heaters and kept the fires burning.

Prior to their visit Lisa telephoned, asked for breakfast at a specific time and indicated her breakfast preferences.

We treated the wedding celebration sensitively and tried to be unobtrusive. The older members of the party expressed their thanks and appreciation.
Liversedge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend. We hired a cottage for a few nights. As we entered, we realised the heating was off. After an hour it was still freezing so we called the house. They came down to see to it straight away. It needed a plumber so we kindly got moved to another cottage for same price. It was beautiful. Fantastic location, great views, fully stockd cottage. Staff friendly and very helpful. Great walking for dogs and pub down road.....about 5 mins in car. Had a really nice stay in hidesway cottage. Will stay again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

A large group of us stayed at Cressbrook Hall for a few days over the New Year period this included 15 very excitable children ! We held our new year's eve party in the wonderful orangery that made a magnificent venue for that special night. All the accommodation was of a high standard and exeptionally clean. Bobby, the ower is extremely helpful and very kind ( returning left items ie nintendo's etc!! in the post). There is a perfect walk to the monsal head pub and hotel which serves great food and very child friendly. Around Cressbrook are some amazing walks with breathtaking views, some including tunnels which are great for the kids,but be aware of the walk by the ridge it's a steep drop down to the river and the footpath is very narrow. We didn't realise how steep the drop was until we looked back ! Cressbrook Hall really is a fantastic venue and I'm sure we'll visit it again in the near future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Shirebrook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We got married here in late October and only have great things to say about the venue, the staff and the wedding itself. From the initial visit with Bobby 18 months previous to the wedding day everything has been perfect.

The staff are extremely professional whilst also be very personable. Nothing is overlooked right down to the finest detail.

Veronica who we had the most dealings with is a credit to the business and dealt with any questions concerns or general worries that we may have had in a way that made everything feel so calming. Some things when planning a wedding that can get a little stressful were just taken care of without fuss or problems making it whole day the greatest day of our lives.

I do have the words or the creative writing skill to convey how happy we were we decided to get married here and how fantastic the staff are from Bobby the Hall owner right down to the bar staff and waiters.

Every single guest commented on the beauty of the venue and how smoothly everything ran.

I always try to be constructive in reviews and although I do not criticise unnecessarily if i feel there is something that can be improved i will say. On this occasion the only thing I can say is keep doing what you are doing. You take on a great responsibility managing peoples special days, ours was perfect so we would like to thank everyone at Cressbrook Hall from the bottom of our hearts for a giving us a day we will never forgot for all the right reasons.

Room Tip: All roms are decorated and furnished to a very high standard