“Strange, but good food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Haywards Heath, West Sussex
“Strange, but good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I went to Barbarella's partly to visit a place whose owner, if you read replies posted here, has anger management issues. Why on earth insult patrons, even when they are mistaken? He can't have been in when we were there. The staff – both of them – were friendly and efficient. The food was also much more interesting than you would know from the limited menu in the window.

Whereas most restaurants have a large standard menu and a few daily specials, Barbarella's does it the other way round. There are at least as many specials as regulars. So, instead of the ordinary looking salmon off the window menu, we had the blackened "special salmon". And very good it was too, nicely cooked with interesting vegetables to go with it.

They will even sell you a small bottle of sparkling wine (Prosecco), to make up for the fact that they don't sell it by the glass. The wine list is small but interesting enough for most tastes, with a few out-of-the ordinary wines, and at sane prices.

You have to be prepared to eat with your food on your lap if you get one of the many low tables. (We opted to eat upstairs where that is the only option.) But the comfortable armchairs make up for it.

You can get some idea of the expected clientele from the toilets. Not just hard dryers in the ladies, but hair straighteners. Oh, and no toilet seat in the gents. (Cue bad jokes about people from Essex feeling at home.)

By coincidence, we bumped into the person who previously ran the place as a frock shop. She seemed to be enjoying her food too.

Would we go back? Probably, but only if we can get a proper table. Barbarella's is a sign that Buxton is finally getting some interesting places to eat.

PS They don't like adding tips to the card bill. But that is fine by me. Cash is always better because it has more chance of getting into the right hands, and untaxed with it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly good place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I hadn't been to Barbarella's before and noticed them because I was being ignored [3times] at Pizza Express; so I walked across the road and asked if it was possible to eat and be out in an hour and 10 minutes. The waitress took my order immediately and the sea bass was fresh and delicious with fried coucous with fennel foam and orange puree--good wine choice as well. This was early on a very busy Sunday evening. So I returned a few days later with my husband for lunch and it was much quieter. We both enjoyed our meal and enjoyed the upstairs room--bright and well ventilated on a very hot day. Thanks.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bakewell
“Really liked going here until I was turned away as I had my 4 week old baby with me!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

I've always enjoyed the food and atmosphere here, however, when I went today for lunch with my 4 week old baby and my parents we were unfortunately turned away as they apparently don't have a children's license (never heard of one of them before)!!!! Very disappointed. So don't plan to go here if you have children with you.

Visited July 2014
Portaferry, United Kingdom
“A culinary tour de force, Excellent food and superb service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

A culinary tour de force. This place is a gem right in the heart Buxton and a must visit when one is in the town. I had been here previously with a friend and had enjoyed a special which included black pudding mash with bacon and creamed cabbage. This time I fancied a steak and enquired if it could be served with this delightful variation despite it not being the menu. The front of house staff not have been more helpful and the chef duly obliged. The steak was cooked to perfection and the food presentation tasteful hence I enjoyed one of the best meals I've had on this trip. My friend Dennis who is regular in this restaurant introduced me to this place a couple of days ago and happened to mention to me that the owners of the business are currently on holiday. They couldn't have left their business in more capable hands. I will be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Derby, United Kingdom
“1st Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

AMAZING. Went back again, team gave us a warm and friendly welcome and even remembered what drinks we had so didnt need to ask. Having run some exclusive hotels in the uk, it is a privalige to have some where like Barbarella's in Buxton. I have noted some of the previous feedback, I can say that our experience has been consistant on all our visits.

Great food, nice surroundings and you feel at home, thank you!1