“Travel back in time - real honour” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Winter Warmer Offer
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Buxton
Solihull
“Travel back in time - real honour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed last Saturday night - arrived via visit to National Trust Quarry Bank Mill (Wilmslow). Nice welcome and glass of fizz in one of three bars as part of promo deal. Lovely room & ensuite - fab creaky floors. Dinner was great - soup & roll, sea bass with complementary bottled water, had a nice Chilean merlot and hubby had lime & strawberry cheesecake to finish. Chilled in one of the many lounges & read literature of history provided by helpful staff. Hotel built 1573 by Bess ofHardwick with her third husband due to their responsibility to keep Mary Queen of Scots under house arrest. Alot of original stonework & doorways plus excellent records of the 1700s with visitor book & advertisements framed on the walls. Good nights sleep & excellent breakfast - help self fruit juices, cereals, fresh fruit salad - real, with melon & grapes, danish pastries too. Then cooked option of porridge, full English, smoked salmon & scrambled egg ..... heaven. Cafetiere coffee & lovely wholemeal toast. Can't wait to stay here again. Have to pay parking but negligible and reception sort ticket for you to use.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had come to Buxton for a few days of quiet relaxation and walking before the onset of a busy period. The Old Hall had been recommended to me for its excellent food and olde worlde charm. So I booked for three night a premium room with four poster bed.
I arrived early on Thursday afternoon and was perfunctorily treated to my room key and told how to find the stairs. No further information (breakfast, dinner?, bookings for either?, newspaper?) was forthcoming. Admittedly, I had just come from a refreshing hike and may not have looked dressed to the nines (but I was clean and dressed in very decent hiking clothes, but as I had not brought a car (I am well aware of the problems of parking in Buxton and the excellent train links from Manchester and opted for the latter), I was clearly deemed to be not quite 'up to standard'. ts, ts. ts...

The room (no.27) was a dream for anybody who loves 'historic hotels'. Instead of a four poster it sported a very impressive canopy bed, with a lovely set of armchairs in the window bay with an antique wardrobe and dresser - only the writing desk was a copy. As to be expected with furniture that age, it gave the room a welcoming, lived in look (which is NOT the same as shabby), and the teddy bear on the bed (available for adoption at £20) is a nice touch. The bathroom was very clean with a great choice of toiletries - the sealant will need replacing in the next few months, but old buildings have this problem generally, and this room is in the 16th century part of the house, as the blocked off window in the wall demonstrates. (BTW, there is an extractor fan in the bathroom on a time, which you might find a bit noisy, if you are not used to this.

The dinner (a la carte after 7pm), was excellent and the service very attentive, as there were only 10 of us in the restaurant. A real treat, as was the breakfast the next morning. Up to this point, I would have given this hotel a very good rating and had actually asked my husband to join me for the weekend.

Unfortunately, Friday night was a disaster. I returned from my hike around 4pm. Luckily I have a tendency to read notices, and the Hotel is full of little historical titbits in the hall about the history of the hotel and Buxton. Amongst these was a small display featuring what I presumed was tonights menu - No such luck, I was informed that tonight the restaurant would be closed, and that later food would be available from the winebar. A small notice underneath mentioned a Christmas party for the Opera house in one of the rooms. Good for them I thought and arranged for my dinner (reluctantly elsewhere).

What I had not expected, was that the Christmas party, which started at 8.30pm would completely take over the hotel. It it not that the guests at the party were everywhere (which they weren't), but the staff of the hotel was clearly preoccupied with serving them, leaving the rest of us without service. I gave up trying to get a place in the Wine bar (which was crowded), and tried my luck in the Cellar bar, the Orchester Pit, which had been opened for the night - but not staffed. I waited for half an hour for the staff to return - no luck.

So I reluctantly decided to return to my room, to enjoy a quiet evening with a book and go to bed early.
The noise level from the party had filled the entire ground floor, but this was nothing compared to my room, the function room was diagonally beneath mine and the music from the dancing was so loud, I was actually able to record some of the tracks on my mobile phone, while sitting on my now vibrating canopy bed. The sight of a gently bopping armchair on casters) would have been funny, if I had not hoped for some peace and quiet.

Upon enquiring at the reception as to how long this would continue, I was told half past 11, and that they would ask them to turn the music down a bit Apparently they were not aware that it would be affecting the rooms above in this way.

The noise continued unabated until 0.25am.
At this point I had had enough, especially as earlier I had been told by one of the guests of the party, that they were so pleased with us other guests putting up with this, that they were thinking of sending as a thank you a little jazz set over on Saturday to serenade us.

The management told me that the rest of the weekend was going to be very quiet.

Under the circumstances, I decided not to chance it. £69/£85(weekend) per night is a very expensive loss of a nights sleep, and I had hoped to start early the next morning for a hike with friends.

Instead I checked out, only at this point was even the possibility raised that I might have changed rooms.

Is this a hotel full of character: yes, is the food worth it: yes, would I come again: no.
why? A hotel should know, if functions impact on their guestrooms (as I said the guest of the function were very helpful and kind). Instead of blocking the rooms affected free or giving them to people attending the function, they decided to just fill them without thought.
Also, they clearly are willing to accept a large function and a lot of guests at the same time, knowing that they don't have the staff to cater for both, nor are they willing to get in some temporary help. Thereby letting half their paying guests down. That's just bad management.

In the interest of full disclosure: On checking out and on the evening I got apologies from both managers on duty on behalf of the hotel and £25 off my bill.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Four of us had a one night 'deal' at the hotel last week and we were unanimous in our verdict - 'outstanding value'. The hotel is very old and, as you would expect of a building that began life in the 1570s and was extended in the 17th century, it has many corridors, nooks and crannies and some sloping ceilings and floors (room 41 is a good example!}. But the unique character of the place is charming and this is complimented by the comfortably and cleanly furnished rooms, the excellent service and the lovely food on offer, both in the evening and at breakfast - really good to have breakfast served rather than 'do-it-yourself'. If you are visiting Buxton I have no hesitation in recommending the Old Hall - we shall return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

It's hard sometimes when you visit out of the way places (like Buxton) to get a realistic feel for both the location itself or accomodations from any of the limited hotel information available online. In this case both Buxton and it's great location for visiting and touring the Peak District, and the Old Hall's historic preservation lived up to their reputation's. We were placed in pleasant a quaint double room room with a modern bathroom and period furniture and were completely satisfided. The hotel itself can almost be described as a small working museum with small tibit of history on display through out, all of which contributes to the overall Old Hall experience. Additionally the included breakfast was, as expected was tasty and plentyfull.

All in all a great choice when visiting the Peak, and without a doubt would return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Lovely character hotel steeped in history, The staff were excellent and we could not fault this hotel.Its position opposite the park and the Opera House was perfect. It is also close to all the attractions of Buxton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Whilst it is what you'd expect, we had a pleasant single night as part of visit to Peak District. We ate in the bar that was nicely informal but good food. Breakfast was also very freshly cooked which is a nice change from the more buffet style you can get, but takes longer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Staying 2 nights in Buxton as a treat for both our birthdays, my girlfriend booked us into the Old Hall for the 1st night, and I booked us the Best Western Lee Wood for the 2nd night so we are able to compare the 2 if you are thinking of staying in Buxton, read both.
First impressions of the Old Hall - Old, musty, full of oap's, and living off its association with Mary Queen of scots. The floors are (quirkly) uneven, so watch your footing, its like being in the funhouse at Blackpool, you walk at an angle going to most of the rooms.
The room (#14) had a view of the inner coutryard wuth conservatory, so no view really, the floor was at such an angle that the everything on the bed rolled toward the headboard. The rooms were old but fairly clean; the free bottle of local water was a nice touch, and the bathroom complimentaries were well presented. At this point the hotel would have got a 3, but then we found out why this place is so popular.
We ate in the main restaurant and it was 4/5 star from start to finish, the food was brilliant, the atmosphere perfect, but the thing that really made it was the service; the staff were absolutely brilliant, they were very attentive, yet not over enthusiastic, free bottled water kept coming (not unusual for a spa town you would think, but it was non existent in our 2nd hotel)
We went to the bar for a night cap, but that area was so cold, noone else was sat in there and the bar staff were non existent, so we called it a night.
Next morning the rain continued to pour and it was freezing as it hit the pavements outside, hence my title for this review. The Old Hall is in effect at the bottom of a slope in most directions, so walking anywhere that day was a challenge for most people; but the staff did grit the entrance way early on.
The traffic light entry system to stop non-residents access to the bedrooms is good, but bizarre in that once you get past the 20th century security access you are in a victorian stairwell.
Breakfast was again fantastic, food (including full veggie option) was second to none, and the staff as always excelled.
The staff at reception seemed to be a mixed bunch - when we booked in they were abrupt and not very communicative. (Note the reception has a parking ticket meter at £3 for 24 hours). The staff when we checked out could not have been more hepful, very friendly, giving us directions and information to local sights, they even gave my girlfriend an umberella to keep after she mentioned we were going to buy one.
In summary this hotel is old and cold, but the food and staff made it an enjoyable stay.
Would we stay again - yes definately, but not room 14.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Hall? Share your experiences!