“wonderful place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oldfield Guest House

Oldfield Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buxton
Oldfield Guest House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   8 Macclesfield Road, Buxton SK17 9AH, England   |
Ranked #23 of 40 Buxton B&B and Inns
Carrick, Australia
“wonderful place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was one of the highlights of our week in England. House, hosts, breakfast and dinner: all wonderful. We shared dinner with other visiting couples and it was lively and entertaining, and the food and wine excellent. Strongly recommend staying at Oldfield House if you are any where in the vicinity. It's a bit hard to find so follow Sue's instructions and you'll have no problems.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Warwickshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We spent last weekend there and would recommend. Clean, tidy and a lovely house. Gardens pretty and on a nice day would be great to sit in and read a book (unfortunatley the weather wasn't that good). Good home cooked breakfast and friendly owners. Thanks

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I booked this short break as I was doing a course locally and wanted somewhere nice to stay, they do evening meals which was also a deciding factor for me. The house is set in a quiet village, in beautiful countryside with no street lights so clear skies at night (weather permitting) as no light pollution. My hosts, Sue and Edmund were both gracious and helpful, their house is delightful and comfy. My host carried my bag up to a delightful double room with my private bathroom next door, although small, it had a shower over the bath, a bath robe and fresh fluffy white towels and even a face cloth for me. It was well stocked with a variety of toiletries and little extras which were well received. There are drink making facilties in the room and fresh milk was offered for my early morning drink if required. There was a small flat screen TV, comfy arm chair, a clock, hairdryer, plenty of coat hangers in the small wardrobe, a flask of water from their own spring was next to the bed.
I was offered tea and freshly made cake on both afternoons (yummy chocolate cake on the first day and lemon sponge with home made lemon curd on the following day.
I sat with my hostess and we had a lovely conversation about my weekend and the local area, I ordered my breakfast for the following morning from a large variety of options available. Sue cooks local produce fresh to order, making the gorgeous cakes and bread the guests are offered during their stay.
I was left to potter around and freshen up before my evening course started and when that completed I arrived back at 10:30pm to find my curtains had been closed, my bed made ready and a small light left on to welcome me home. I settled into the most comfy bed I have slept in away from home, slipping into cool soft sheets with a snuggly duvet was just heaven, the village was quiet and I slept undisturbed until the following morning. Breakfast was amazing, fresh pineapple, granola & natural yogurt, with fresh orange juice, followed by poached egg, tomato & smoked bacon, copious coffee and fresh toasted wholemeal bread with homemade preserves completed the meal. (It was so good I had the same on the second morning!)

After I completed the next part of my course I arrived back to tea & cake and I relaxed in their delightful sitting room, where I happily watched the world go by. I was treated to a walk around Edmund's beautiful garden and admired all his amazing hard work. Edmund also grows the vegetables & soft fruit that Sue uses to create the tasty dishes she serves to guests.

I would recommend that on at least one night you sample the 3 course dinner available, I was not disappointed - served by candlelight, each course tasted divine and I was joined by Edmund (while Sue beavered in the kitchen) who provided such delightful conversation and ancedotes of both their lives, that I was delighted to listen to. After an amusing late evening chat by the fire, I retired to yet another great night's comfortable sleep, followed by another super breakfast I left a happy traveller knowing I would visit again given the opportunity.

To sum up - if you want fast food, sterile, uniformity, matching, modern surroundings, contemporary furniture in a bustling community with all amenities close by, then don't visit this B&B, on the other hand if you love good quality food, beauty, comfort, history, peace and quiet and the company of gracious hosts who do all they can to be of service then be sure to pay them a visit, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

What a fabulous place – we stayed for the weekend and already cannot wait to go back. This stylish Victorian guest house is situated next to the park, very close to the town centre and near the town’s pubs, bars and restaurants. Buxton is a charming town with something for everyone - from the colourful Pavilion Gardens, Opera House practically bursting at the seams with around 450 performances each year, the Dome, Buxton art gallery and nearby Poole's Cavern and ‘Go Ape’ adventures to the shops in the town centre and in the Pavilion Arcade.

Avril and Colin made us feel at home, the AA award-winning cooked breakfast was delicious (poached eggs to die for) – with ingredients mostly from local produce. Freshly homemade bread for toast, delicious freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juice, selection of yogurts, fresh fruit, cereals. Freshly brewed tea and coffee.

Our room was spacious, tastefully decorated, having an incredibly comfortable bed with crispy, scented bed linen. Tea/coffee/hot chocolate making facilities, scrumptious Borders shortbread biscuits and a bottle of Buxton mineral water. Peaceful, with zero noise from the outside world and the large window letting in beautiful sunshine. The bathroom made good use of space and was very clean with lovely soft towels and complimentary toiletries. The whole guest house has a homely feel to it and Avril and Colin could not do more to make our stay very special.

There is a private car park to the rear of the property hidden from the passing public for extra security. The guest house has a very attractive back garden with ponds and a stream.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
ColinBuxton, Owner at Oldfield Guest House, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
It is so good to be appreciated by such a nice young couple.
east yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

we stayed for two nights ,9,10 August in a very nice guest house , well placed to walk into the town , go as far as the viaduct ,go under ,then you wil come across a Weatherspoons pub ,food there was good ,approx 20/25 minute walk back to the guest house , a nice walk past the creasnt ,and through the park .
car paking , safe at any time to leave your car on there drive front gardens ,nice view over their front garden ,not much road noise ,even with the window open . Room nice and big airy decor just right .Tea / coffie facilities ,tea pot ,even biscuits on the tray .
on suite ,pleanty of hot water ,again soap ,shampo shower gel there if needed ,nice touch
breakfast ,only down side ,bit early between 08.00 / 09.00hrs ,as i like a lay in .
once up ,very nice breakfast room ,good choice of cereals , friut juice ,the cooked breakfast is first class ,freshly cooked
overall a very nice midweek break ,except it rained

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
ColinBuxton, Owner at Oldfield Guest House, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
The breakfast times have been 8.00 to 9.15 for the last 10 Years but we always ask all our Guests if this is OK. I should point out that in August and indeed most of the Year our Guests wish to arise early enough to take in the wonderful countryside and visitor attractions to make full use of their day. In August we had 43% return visitor nights so we must be doing something right. A significant percentage of our July and August guests are attending more than one concert or presentation each day and require an early breakfast. In terms of value for money we are not at the cheaper end of the market nor the more expensive. The fact that as your reviewer states we include so many extras we feel provides value for money. I suggest that potential customers have a look at our web site to see what we have to offer and what our Guests have said about us - I might add that their comments are made without us asking them to write in our book.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

Found this guest house on trip adviser, ideal location in peak district for walking & cycling. Just outside town centre with plenty of amenities and places to eat. Our hosts were very freindly and acommodating providing the "biggest small breakfast I have ever seen", service was extremely good. Stayed with friends, rooms were excellent and loved the house, free to come and go as we needed to. If you are considering going to peak district I would definately recommend you consider staying here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
ColinBuxton, Owner at Oldfield Guest House, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
It is very nice to have people appreciate what we do for them. Your reviewer makes a good point about freedom to come and go as many places still discourage daytime returns also we only ask our Guest whether they would like a cooked breakfast including vegetarian or Continental but we don't ask them to fill in a form to say what they want in detail or indeed what time they are coming down we just say between 8 and 9.15. After all you are on holiday and need to relax and not have to worry about coming down at a specific time or indeed you may wish to change your mind come the morning as to what you want to eat. Our buffet table is not restricted either so you can have as much (or as little) to start with. Coffee percolators and /or tea pots are also provided on your table.
Linslade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

From the moment we arrived to when we left 2 days later out stay was so relaxing,Colin & Avril were very welcoming. The breakfast was as good as any i've had with a great selection of cereals,fresh fruit and an abundance of tea & coffee, the full english breakfast was served fresh and hot straight from Avrils frying pan.
Our room was large,warm and the bed and pillows were to die for,we also had a very large bathroom with a shower and a bath
Colin was very helpfull in giving us advice and directions to places of interest and natural beauty,i urge people to take the time to walk to the Monsal Trail and just take the time to walk alongside the river and be blown away by the beautiful waterfall.
Buxton itself is a lovely place for a wkend break and the guest house is just a 2minute walk from the park that is worth walking through for its lakes and wildlife,when visiting this part of the country again i won't hesitate to stay at the Oldfield guest house

Room Tip: It.s location is ideal to visit Buxton