“Mixed review!” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Bath, United Kingdom
“Mixed review!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Table of four, half of us enjoyed the food the other didn't!

The salmon looked delicious, steak was ok and their advertised chicken feast was aweful!

The young girl was very helpful and polite.

It's not often I leave a disinterested review, maybe better luck next time, if we go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Newport, United Kingdom
“Don't be in two minds about the Two Rivers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is a Marston's Pub/Hotel and so it is very hard to compare with other eateries. I feel however that it more than compares with the Wetherspoon chain and I was more than happy with the restaurant section.

It was Jacqui's Birthday yesterday (30th April) and we met with six of our dearest friends for a meal. We were not disappointed! It is fair to say that the combination of good quality pub food, a delightful Waitress named Zoe and the wonderful conversation and bon homie from our friends made this a special day for Jacqui.
We had a couple of bottles of wine (St Helena) which was very good and reasonably priced). Our food was nicely prepared and certainly adequate portions. I had a mixed grill which was well cooked and excellent value for money.

The restaurant is off the M48 (old Severn Bridge) and it is well worth if you are Eastbound, going on from the Magor services and coming off at the Chepstow junction or, if Westbound use the M48 and come off at the Chepstow junction before the Magor services and making your way towards Chepstow where you will find the Two Rivers on the left.

Should we be going along the M48 and need a break I would certainly call there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aberdare, United Kingdom
“Have I got the right place?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Am unsure whether I am reviewing the right place, we went to the Two Rivers at High Beach, and do not recognise it from all the reviews. We went on Sunday, had a lovely waitress who could not do enough for us, we did not have to wait for a table, our drinks were brought immediately and it was very busy. I had the special, salmon salad which was delicious, and sweet potato fries, lovely!! And Hubby had the chicken which believe me was definitely not like you get in Tesco ( someone else's review!!!) the waitress returned to us several times to see if we neede anything and was very friendly and helpful. The dining room was lovely and clean and warm but not too hot to be uncomfortable. We would most certainly return.

Visited April 2013
Monmouthshire
“Ask and You Eventually Receive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have used the newly built establishment on numerous occasions since it opened because the menu choice, decor and service were extremely good. However the service on the last three visits had gone from bad to worse and on Saturday 13/4/2013 service was appalling. It was necessary to look for a member of staff to place our drinks order, the main course, desert and coffee and the wait on each occasions was totally unacceptable. I fully endorse the employment of teenagers but to operate a busy establishment on a Saturday evening with unsupervised students/school leavers was the clear reason for the appalling service. A senior member of staff, who appeared after about one and half hours. apologised and explained that a night out on Friday had resulted in a number of staff reporting sick. Wake up, you have an excellent opportunity in Chepstow and surrounding area and bad service will not be tolerated

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“Good potential but lacks what it takes to follow through.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stopped here with some friends on the way to somewhere else as it looked good from the outside. We decided we'd have a drink and if we liked the menu we'd stop for food.
The menu looked excellent with plenty of variety and the Rotisserie Chicken oven was an original and appealing touch, so we stayed.
The place is fairly new and the décor reflects this; it's very clean and comfortable.
It's table service which is a refreshing change from the usual "take your table number to the bar" approach.
This is where things started to go downhill. The service was slow and sporadic - "I'll just drop this at the kitchen and pop back for your drink order," not to be seen again until I went looking.

I was going to order the cod from the specials board but decided on the chicken in the end, which was just as well as the cod came with mussels which I'm allergic to and there was no mention of this on the board.
The chicken looked good, choose a sauce, pick two sides and voilà. The sauce turned out to be in ketchup bottles and not, as I was expecting, a sauce over the chicken and the plate just had the three items on it; chicken, corn cob and a small jacket potato. There was no presentation or garnish; the items looked like they were just dumped on the plate.
My wife had the gourmet chicken burger; the chicken was great but the burger was small and nothing special - and for approx. £10, you'd expect a burger to be outstanding.

At around 11pm the staff made it fairly obvious that if we left they could go home early, so we finished our drinks and left.

In summary, nice original place with relatively friendly staff but it lacks some fairly simple things that would make it great. High expectations by the appearance led to a disappointing result.

Not sure I'd go back, there are plenty of places where you can get the same quality food for less.

• Visited March 2013