“Potato Perfection” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 50 Restaurants in Chepstow
Cuisines: British
Description: Award-winning fish and chip licensed restaurant and take-away. Situated up through the arch of the original castle wall with images of Chepstow's past, we are the only quality award winner in Monmouthshire. We offer various meal deals, a senior citizen menu and a Gluten Free menu on the last Sunday of every month. Most recently we have launched our Belt Buster Challenge.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Potato Perfection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Having seen this mentioned in a "Vegan Monmouthshire" leaflet, I knew I had to eat here. The chips are fried in groundnut oil and they even have gluten-free days, catering for many dietary needs.
We double checked to make sure today's batch of chips hadn't been cooked with the meat or fish and they were some of the tastiest chips I've had to date. Not at all greasy, with the perfect crisp/soft ratio. If I didn't have my dog with me, I would have eaten in the welcoming restaurant area and will be doing so in the future.
I ordered a small bag of chips and it was indeed small. However, it filled a gap without making me feel overly full so really the size was ideal even though it was a lot smaller than your average small portion. My boyfriend had some sustainably sourced cod to which he states that the batter was cooked to perfection and the nicest he's eaten to date.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Many visits,never less than wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Freshly cooked to order. Haddock and chips every visit. Cracking quality. Eat in or take away.
Friendly staff. What more could you ask.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“Fish and Chips at it's best !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

It's years since we have been to the chip shop in Albion Square, at one time it was pretty grim and greasy !. We were in town at tea time and couldn't resist the smell of chips as we passed. The place has been totally gutted and rebuilt inside and it is spotless. We had fish bites, chips and mushy peas with tea and bread and butter . It was all freshly cooked to order, the fish was beautifully fresh and the batter was light, the chips were fresh and not greasy and the service was excellent. Thoroughly recommended, well done Weeks !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We ordered our meal by telephone 2 regular haddocks and chips
I must say when collected we took it home it was a lovely meal
One of the best fish in batter I've had for a long time
Well done to the staff

Visited October 2013
bristol uk
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Used to love the fish and chips here when it was Simpson's but it was taken over 18mths ago by Weeks and it has gone really down hill.
When we went in and sat down we waited ages to b served, one customer had to go looking for the waitress.
When the food arrived, the fish was dry and really overcooked. The chips.tasted like they had been reheated.
I must say though the tea was lovely!
This place used to be nearly full at lunchtime but there was only one other sit down customer there.
Also apart from the waitress the other staff had not a smile between them.
Won't be going back I'm afraid.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere