“Our wedding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Chepstow
surrey
“Our wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

We recently held ou wedding reception at the hotel. We had a fantastic day which was definitely due to the lovely surroundings at the hotel and because of the fabulous staff who were efficent and friendly and on hand all the way through the day without being intrusive. Our guests commented on how lovely the food was and how large the portions were! The majority of our guests stayed at the hotel for a night or two and we believe that they all experienced a good service.

The bedrooms at the hotel are situted in the three blocks, the majority are in the main hotel building the others are in the Courtyard area and the Lakeside. We stayed in the Lakeside honeymoon suite which was very spacious and had recently been refurbished. The lakeside is a 30 second walk to the main building.

I also used the beauty centre and although I believe it is a little expensive the treatments were lovely and will be going back to have more.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
North West
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

Using the Tesco rate to book a 5th anniversary getaway we tried to get in at a number of Marriott's finally being directed to the St Pierre. The hotel has three real elements, the main hotel building - charming, historic spleandour and plush : The extensions - 60's / 70's looking, characterless but interior good : The lakeside lodges (suites) - best described as good quality rented cottages (some come with own kitchenette) that look like a new-build cul-de-sac

As a special occasion I paid the £50 per night upgrade to a suite and ended up in the lakeside lodge, changed from the first offering as the kitchen reminded me of being at home. Flower's and chocolates were excellent (arranged with on-site florist) and additional hand written card from relations manager a nice touch. Negative notes are that the en-suite's are not up to Marriott standards, no Air-con and the tv's are small for an upgraded room (21" maybe) without the usual entertainment options of PS2 etc.

Staff were approachable, polite and professional - waiting staff in the good Orangery restaurant were excellent. Only negative note is that when advised that we do not like rare meats the lamb was still served that way - quickly fixed though.

For a country club the hotel is very golf orientated, as a non-practitioner of the art I would have strongly appreciated a walking trail / jogging route to allow me to walk the grounds at a different time to the 7.00 am I felt I needed to do to avoid upsetting the players. This also rolled over to the atmosphere within the bar & restauants at breakfast - I think I've heard enough "long puts that nearly went in" stories to do me forever!

leisure facilities, if anything, were better than the web suggested and the Yoga class was great - didn't try the spa.

All in all, in the lakeside lodges you can avoid the golf, the orangery restaurant feels exclusive (the zest bar feels like any good pub grub place you could mention) and it is generally quiet and peaceful.

• Liked — Good food, good staff, exclusive feel
  • Disliked — Not easy to relax apart from in the room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

Having received a Virgin Pamper Day at a Marriot Hotel as a present , decided to book at the St Pierre.

Spa receptionist is a nightmare as she didn't know what I was talking about.

In the end I had to contact the manager's PA, who arranged the booking. Stress score 75percent.

Turned up on the day - with relaxation and pampering in mind - ... we'll take you cares away. etc etc.

Bodge up in the booking.

Although the rest of the hotel staff seem nice, the spa seems to be run by Ms Whiplash - if you like an implaccable face and uncaring attitude, this is the place for you.

And you will do as you are told - because, as your only spending £80, you really can't have the choice promised on the voucher and you just have to fit in with the schedule. So there.

Stress score 90percent. Although I must add that the manageress was on holiday at the time.

So I just drove all the way back home - swearing 'never again'. Stress score 95percent. 5percent as they kindly offered me my money back.

Really Marrriot should get their act together if they are promising people a 'relaxing' day.

Anyone in the area should book Celtic Manor , their package is almost the same - same choices but a LOT cheaper - and they even throw in lunch for good measure.and it's only down the road. It really can't be any worse than this ' relaxing experience'.

• Disliked — Spa
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Birmingham, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

I stayed here for one night in August 2007 for a business meeting. The rate was a very good corporate one including breakfast.

The hotel is a mixture of standard rooms plus the "lakeside village" which two of my colleagues stayed in. I believe the village is nicer and more picturesque.

My room was fairly standard, non-descript hotel room. The bed was comfortable but only a standard double. The TV was very small, probably 14 inch. The room was very clean.

The worst part of it was the air conditioning, or lack thereof. They provided a desk fan which looked very nice but was so noisy it was unusable as it would have kept me awake. I could not open the window as I was on the ground floor and instead of a window had french doors leading out onto the grounds. So unfotunately I was too hot all night, which was made worse by the fact we had a fire alarm go off around 4am.

I had an evening meal here in the Zest bar and breakfast in the morning. Both meals were good.

Overall, I was not particularly impressed and the real downfall was the lack of air conditioning.

• Liked — Corporate rate was good
  • Disliked — Room too hot
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Whitehaven UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

stayed here for 2 nights to attend a wedding, setting was beautiful, food both at the wedding and in the Orangery resturant was exceptional, bar prices a bit high but norm for this type of property. Nothing too much trouble for the staff, had a newly decorated room which was really nice although a little small, could have done with some air conditioning as it was very hot, used the beauty salon which was reasonable, used the pool which was a really good size. Used hotel florist for our button holes which were beautiful, expecteda a large bill but was surprised how reasonable they were. Would stay again

Stayed June 2007
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Beautiful setting with lovely historical feel. Ten out of ten for customer service, particularly a Ms Emma Thomas at check-in and Abi in the Zest lounge (do try the 'hot mud slide' for a night-cap). Nothing was too much trouble. Room service was very prompt. The food was excellent. Breakfast left us with no room for lunch. The room was immaculate and the bed most comfortable, although the television was rather old-fashioned. The pool is of a reasonable size, but not exclusive to hotel guests. Booked through the about britain website and had a better deal than that offered by marriott. Looking for an excuse to return!

• Liked — Scenery and service
  • Disliked — Sharing the spa/pool with non-residents
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
South Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

I have just returned from a wonderfully relaxing stay at St Pierre Hotel in Chepstow. Upon booking, I was advised of a 'hotel refresh programme' which initially put me off, as i expected a lot of disruption. This however, could not have been further from the truth!
I arrived to find that the tranquil hotel I have frequented, in the same position as i left it. However, as i entered the bedroom wing, I could immediately see where all the 'refresh' had been happening! As I entered my bedroom, I was amazed at the difference! What once had been a comfortable and cozy room, with adequate ammenities was now completely transformed! With dark wood furniture, and elegant soft furnishings, the 'refresh' is fantastic!! I understand from hotel staff that the 'refresh' will shortly be taking over the rest of the hotel, if undertaken to the same standard as the bedrooms, this will be a marvel.
As i have come to expect of this Hotel, the staff were polite, courteous, and friendly. Truely, nothing is too much trouble. I very would very much reccomend both of the Hotel restaurants, though do make prior reservation, as I have been disappointed in the past! Similarly with the Health Spa.
Happy Holidaying in Chepstow!!

Stayed June 2007

Been to St Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!