“Dunkeld House Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Dunkeld
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Dunkeld House Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

The bedrooms were compact and had been recently refurbished to a very good standard, this is an idyllic spot on the edge of the Scottish Highlands. The meals were of a good standard but due to the large function being held at the time the breakfasts were lukewarm. The staff were generally very helpful, however the variety of spirit on sale at the bar appeared restricted and the bar staff appeared under pressure to ensure every round of drinks was signed for despite knowing your room number and the fact that you were a resident

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dunkeld House, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Delighted you had a great stay with us and you enjoyed the culinary delighted our chefs created, but am sorry to read your breakfast was tepid. It’s our policy for our team members to ask each guest to sign their bill when they make charges to the room due to our billing procedures and hence makes check out more efficient as guest have signed for each check. We do hope we can welcome you back in the future and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

1,095 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

The most wonderfully relaxing weekend I have had in a long time with delicious food in beautiful surroundings. It's like another world in Dunkeld no matter what time of year. If you need a break from the stresses of life, look no further than a stay here.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dunkeld House, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for the perfect review you have given us, we are elated you had a seamless relaxing break at Hilton Dunkeld and do hope you will visit us again soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our fourth visit in 19 years gets better every time, this was a January visit ,lovely quiet location, very friendly and helpful staff,suite was immaculate, good value for money. the village in which the Hotel lies is very small and at this time of year was very quiet may not be to some visitors choice,don't let that put you off.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for the first class review you have written, we do hope we can welcome you back to Hilton Dunkeld in the future.

East Kilbride, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We have often walked past this hotel and thought how lovely it would be to spend a night there. So when we got the opportunity we booked in for dinner B & B for a night. When we arrived we were treated very well and offered an upgrade to a Deluxe room for £10 or to a Deluxe Plus room for £15. We decided to push the boat out and paid the extra £15.
Now if that was a Deluxe Plus, I would hate to think what a regular room was like. The room was a reasonable size but there were some obvious design problems - if you sat at the work area / dressing table there was no room for anyone to get past so if for example your partner wanted to go to the loo, you had to get up or they had to climb over the bed. Might seem petty but 'extra room space' was one of the selling points of the upgrade.
The carpet was stained, there was a crack on the toilet seat, the curtains didn't close properly (because the old hooks had been left on the rail) and were stained and there was mildew around the windows.
When we went down for dinner, we mentioned the curtains and the cracked toilet seat and while we were at dinner, the curtains were sorted - but the toilet seat was not replaced.
Dinner was not great. I didn't fancy the vegetarian optional and asked if there was an alternative. I was advised the chef would make me a risotto which I love so asked for that and requested no Parmesan; my husband asked for the pork loin. When my meal arrived I could tell straight away it was not like any risotto I had ever had - it was orange As soon as I tasted it I could tell why, it was really cheesy, more like macaroni cheese made with rice - and it had Parmesan shavings on top.
My husbands pork was a little overcooked and dry but was 'OK'.
I picked at mine but really couldn't eat it. The waiter, Tom, was lovely and he said he would speak to the chef. To their credit, the chef offered to make me another one which I declined as my husband was nearly finished his. I was then told that they would pay for our bottle of wine which I felt was a very decent gesture.
The bed was comfortable and we had a decent night's sleep
Breakfast was again disappointing - the cereal & fruit etc was lovely and I was delighted they had skimmed milk but my husband likes a cooked breakfast and the offerings were rather greasy and they didn't offer porridge! Nothing terrible it is just you expect a higher standard when you visit a Hilton
So to summarise, the service was fabulous, I really cant fault that and the grounds are stunning however other than that, I would have though I was in a 3* local hotel not a Deluxe Plus room in a Hilton.

Room Tip: We were in room 114 which had a lovely view. The one gain from the bigger room was the veranda, not...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We thank you for the review and are happy to read you enjoyed the warm welcome at check in, the wonderful grounds we are situated in and the service you received from our team members. We are very apologetic that you were disappointed with your room and the food. There has been a clear communication error with your risotto and apologise sincerely for the inconveniences you encountered. We do have an in progress room programme at present for our rooms and public areas which will of course enhance our hotel.
Hartley Wintney, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Fabulous setting. The long drive way from the village is breathtaking. The wildlife and the grounds were superb so expectations were high. The Hotel is a lovely building and looked cosy and inviting. The main bar in the restaurant was modern but kept within the traditional Scottish tartan theme, so overall felt welcomed and was looking forward to a lovely meal whilst on our honeymoon. The cocktail bartender was the best part of our dining experience as he was attentive, friendly and knew his craft. The hotel was at low capacity but there were plenty of staff rostered on to meet our needs, hence why we had several waiting staff serving us throughout dinner. This did leave to confusion, as we were left for long periods of time. I assume someone thought someone else was looking after us, not the case. I ordered mushroom soup from the low key simple menu. Salty is an understatement, so much so it was returned. My husbands chicken salad was clean and fresh, but on the mean side so we were both looking forward to our main meal! Hmmm. More mistakes were to come. My chicken was ok, uninspiring and left on the bone which was not noted on the menu prior so I was surprised but ok (ish) with it, but the big surprise was my fondant potato. This was a disaster. To say it looked like it was either left over from the day before, or the lunch service is not an exaggeration. Cold, hard and dry. This was also returned and I ordered some mash as a replacement. The their credit, this came out piping hot and tasty, sadly my husband had now finished his also mean Salmon course leaving me eating my meal on my own. The bill came finally and we were looking forward to a swift departure. Tom was excellent and apologised throughout, adjusted our bill and looked after us. Sadly we will not return, as for a hotel with such potential and just 30 covers (tops) when they have a 230 capacity is a worry to say the least! Service iffy, food a disaster, hotel setting superb. Disappointed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We are genuinely sorry that your experience was not as anticipated and there are a number of points which you have outlined which we failed to deliver on. We have obviously taken our eye of the ball on this quiet evening which has lead to your extreme displeasure. We of course have discussed your feedback with our management team and please ensure this level of service is not vindictive of our overall service standards.
glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Sorry to advise but this hotel may have charming grounds beautiful building to look at from outside the interior is a total disaster. After paying top dollar for the Dukes Room found large gapping hole in the WC which I complained about on arrival with no offer of room change dirty paintwork chipped and very badly maintained wood work on door frame lopsided bedside lighting windows that required something to hold them open heating that wouldn't switch off corridor decor from a day that time forgot carpets worn paintwork that was poorly maintained and dirty. Restaurant with seating that was fit for the bin, food that was poor in portion and well over cooked. Breakfast buffet that was over cooked and dirty looking kitchen area that has long seen a shine. The living well health centre that should come with a health warning that your health should be in serious risk of death. Filthy walls damp and peeling walls from dampness, ceiling tiles that were BROWN and mildew dripping from them filthy carpets doors with chunks of silicon holding in glass. So bad I refused to even enter the pool and cancelled a massage treatment that was booked in the Spa. Totally disgusted at what I was charged for a run down hotel no pride taken anywhere in the establishment apart from the charge of £254 for one nights stay. I had emailed the Manager Sue who hasn't even taken time to reply so here is my tale if woe feel totally ripped off. Enter this one at your peril should come with a government health warning that your health is at serious risk.
Needs Major injection of Cash and Staff that listen to complaint.
Booked a weekend and left after one night disgusted by paying for 5 star price for what had to be a 2 star hotel. Not what you expect for a HIlton more like a dos house

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We have directly responded to this guest’s complaint and await his call. We accept that there were maintenance issues with his room which have been attended too and we have apologised to him for the room not being as it should be. We of course refute the claims that the hotel is either dirty of a safety risk whilst we respect his right to an opinion. We would suggest that readers look at a selection of reports from other guests on our hotel and at the overall rating as an indication of our quality and performance. So many of our clients return time and again to our hotel and we are proud of our record. We do accept that from time to time we make mistakes but always seek to make amends, to learn, and try to build long term relationships with our guests. The hotel is an old building in a beautiful location built in 1900 and we think retains its old world charm. We do have an ongoing program of maintenance for our rooms and public areas.
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This hotel has been one of our favourite places to visit and walk through the local woods along the River Tay.The hotel is very beautiful and in one of the most scenic settings.We have been visiting the hotel, whenever in the area, for several years and the service has always been prompt, attentive and of good quality.
However, we recently walked unto the hotel for a short lunch and asked to be served ham and cheese toasted baguettes , a small snack. What came was a cool untoasted baguette with a small amount of ham and the ends of the baguettes that were solid, obviously just having been defrosted prior to serving. My wife returned them to the kitchen asking for toasted bread which did return a few minutes later and they were of the usual quality. what was galling next was that .when we finished the sandwiches .was that the plates were left on out tables for easily over ten minutes and when they were the staff made no effort top clean the table top which was covered in salt, remnants of the meal and empty glasses.The restaurant was rather quiet and we cannot understand why the service in the restaurant has descended since our last visit.
When it comes to service ,small things matter and to see staff walk past our table 5 0r 6 times looking directly at the left dishes and not even lifting them in the passing was not what we were expecting.No one asked us if the food was better.after the 2nd attempt and it is a shame that the hotel restaurant has altered its old standards .Wont be returning, you can get better service at the local cafes in Dunkeld village at a cheaper price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dunkeld House, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
We are extremely sorry your lunchtime visit was not of the usual high standards we offer at Hilton Dunkeld. Your feedback has been shared with our Food and Beverage Manager and be confident we will follow up on the points you have outlined to avoid recurrence. Your experience highlights training anomalies and we will focus training our staff in enervated areas of customer service. We are sorry you will not return in the future as we would have appreciated the opportunity to rectify the errors you encountered on this visit.
Hilton Dunkeld

Been to Hilton Dunkeld House? Share your experiences!