“I love this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“I love this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Have stayed here several times and it's always great. Just back from 1 night DBB package for 2 for £102. Great value for a relaxing stay in stunning scenery and lovely hotel with friendly staff. Scottish hospitality at its best.
Why not 5 stars? Food good but not excellent, hearty rather than arty fare. Room and bathroom clean but not spotless. 5 minute wait for towels after swimming, we had been told to collect them after our swim, but then had to wait.
Best bits? Wild deer in the grounds, riverside walk into the sweet village, fabulous massage, roaring log fires, good pool with sauna, steam room and hot tub.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the best views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
susanmacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dunkeld House, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your review it’s great to read you had another enjoyable stay with us and the service you received exceeded your expectations. The areas of your stay which were not so enjoyable we will endeavour to rectify them and hope you will visit us again in the future.

Hilton Dunkeld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
leven,fife,scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Hilton in Dunkeld. Let me begin with saying that my partner and I had a great time. Although there were one or two 'niggly' issues I'll start with the positives. The location is wonderful, set in Perthshire with it's beautiful scenery and the river Tay. The hotel staff were very friendly and mostly very helpful when we were in need of any assistance. The food is of a very high standard and neither of us could find fault in its quality. Our bedroom was large and 'roomy' with a nice view of the river and our bathroom was a nice size also. Lynzi from the housekeeping was very nice and went out of her way to assist us when asked. The surrounding area itself is worth a walk about the grounds just for its scenery and if you have transport then a short drive North up the A9 to Pitlochry is worth a few hours. Try the Edradour Distillery, very tasty !!
Getting back to the 'negatives'. Well the advert stated the there would be a 'welcoming dram' for all guests to the hotel upon arrival. This did not happen so either they 'ran out' or this was not a part of the deal. I have had this 'dram' experience before at a nearby hotel and to be honest it is a very nice way to begin your break. Even more so if you can sit in front of a open log fire with your dram. It was not a huge deal that it did'nt happen however for me it's little touches like that that sets the tone.
Another little niggle was that there was a tare in the bed sheet, again nothing major but for a Hilton the sheet should never had been used in the first place. When my partner brought this to Lynzi's attention it was sorted out very promptly so thank you once again Lynzi.
Next up is the 'toilet roll'. We had a late dinner on our second night so it was getting on by the time we retired to bed. We could'nt help but notice there was no toilet roll so I went down to the reception and asked for more. The young man said that he would contact the porter and toilet roll would be delivered to our room. After waiting for more than 30 minutes nothing arrived so I had to go to a public loo and 'borrow' some. In the morning I fully expected a roll to be outside the bedroom door but alas no.
Next the shower in room 130! Oh man o man, what can I say.....please just take it down and say the room is bath only because it really is the saddest shower I have ever witnessed. I am soon to be 55 years old with a weak bladder and I could 'pee' harder than that I kid you not.
And finally the afternoon teas. My partner and I witnessed this in one of the lounges and it went like this......mother and young daughter waiting patiently for soup, 20 minutes pass.. still waiting. We have been served and I'm halfway through my beer (needing to pee) mother and daughter still waiting. Finally mother (her name should be Teresa) points out to a member of staff their plight. Full of apologies the soup is hunted down and duly arrives, all is well. 10 minutes later same member of staff arrives at mother and daughter's table with a plate of 'filled rolls'. As delicious as they look mother says she did not ask for them !! Apologies from staff member as she sheepishly disappears towards the kitchen.
A few minutes pass and a party of 4 take their seats near us for refreshments. Their order is taken and all is well. Time trickles by before their order arrives only to find that 'their' order was not their order but some other ravenous group within the hotel. By this time my legs are crossed because of my bladder being like a balloon and with sweat on my brow I stubbornly refuse to move just to see how this 'Faulty Towers' situation would pan out. Needless to say it all ended well but it just seemed to us that all this mis-communication was so not needed. It did make us laugh though.
Would we go back?........ IN A HEARTBEAT !! WE LOVED IT :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
On a positive note we thank you for the very commendable comments regarding Lynzi, the location, the cuisine our chefs prepared and our team members. The negative aspects of your stay you have written about are unacceptable and with some simple leadership we will endeavour to improve on these areas with our team members. Glad to read you will return.
Turriff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked 3 rooms for our stay, 1 suite. We arrived on 2January and stayed till 4th January. We arrived at 2.30 ,as part of a party of 6 and had afternoon tea and Prosecco. The rooms were very well appointed and the suite was amazing value for money. In the evening we dined in hotel the food was incredible and the service first class. The staff were very busy ,however they were very helpful and good. The next day breakfast was very good.My son and another member of the party and myself went to archery within the estate. This was exceptional value £45.00 for an hour for 3 people, the instructor was very good and had a sense of humour.

The only criticism I have is the second night dining was a bit poor the reason for this was among our party was 4 vegetarians and the choice was the same as the first night. The waiter did offer a option but this was gnocchi with the same sauce as the risotto vegetarian. I asked for a salad as well as my daughter , however this was quite poor. My daughter had a salad the first night which was amazing.

Would this put me of going back absolutely not. I think some of the comments about this Hotel are a bit unfair as the staff are incredible the rooms fantastic and service 1st class.

A big thank you from the Rankin family

Room Tip: Book a suite you will love the balcony and space
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your feedback and we were pleased to read that our team members delivered the correct balance between efficient and friendly service with a bit of humour thrown in. Your comments regarding the dinner menu have been relayed to our new executive chef and am sure changes will be made to his new menus. We hope you visit us again soon.
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I took advantage of a voucher given as a wedding gift and I selected this hotel having never stayed in Highand Perthshire. The drive north of Perth is really nice in itself and we were able to spend the early afternoon in Pitlochry before checking in. The winding driveway/road up to the car park gives an idea of the lovely setting of the building. The hotel entrance is nice and staff were accomodating from the beginning. The hotel itself has a country house manor feel to it, though with this is a tad dated in terms of decor and finishings, and the room wasn't that impressive. The spa was a let down: this was to be a nice, romantic and relaxing trip but the Jacuzzi was out of order, pool quite cold and not the nicest showers i've ever used. The food was nice and we had a 3 course meal with reasonably priced bottle of Merlot. The lounge area was very nice and comfortable and we enjoyed a latte here after our wonderful walk. The walk along the River is stunning and so peaceful - a must do. All in all a nice stay but not as nice a venue as others i've stayed in.

Room Tip: Front Facing possibly - I certainly love being able to see the river from my room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your impressive review we are pleased you chose Hilton Dunkeld as your preferred hotel. Your evaluation of the hotel is a great motivation factor for our team members. We are starting a corridor refurbishment by reception this week which will enhance this area of the hotel. We do hope you will return again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We went for a three night new year package. My partner had been before and thought it was lovely. It's setting is stunning by the river. Beautiful walks both directions along the banks.
When we were unloading our car we noticed a wedding party.
We checked in and went to our room, changed it as it was dark and felt cold. Second room was fine but how about a throw on the bed to add some style? The bathroom was fine and the robes and towels fluffy. Nice toiletries.
We popped down to have a drink in the lounge and there was nowhere to sit between the wedding guests and hotel guests it was packed. Solution, pop into dunkeld buy a bottle of wine, enjoy in room- result? Less income for the hotel.
This situation didnt really improve the following two nights with no wedding, lots of people milling about looking for a seat to have pre or post dinner drinks.
Our first night dinner was okay. Service was fine and the food Just average. Hogmanay was well organised. Pre dinner drinks were nice, followed by dinner. The food was very nice but not outstanding. Entertainment was really good with lots of dancing followed by fireworks. An enjoyable night.
The third night was a buffet and I have to say I was not looking forward to it- but- it was actually the best meal of the three. Compliments to chef that night.
Now onto the breakfast carnage which ensued each morning. Confusion seemed to rein in the mornings with staff taking guests to tables that were not properly set. I heard staff talking to each other about a lack of cutlery and crockery and observed them removing cups etc from already set tables to set up new ones. If they just cleared away dishes and got them to the dishwash then there would be a ready supply but all three mornings we had still had our juice glasses and cereal bowls on our table while eating our cooked items.
Cooked items, they were ok. I realise the place was busy but there was always a wait for something , bacon, sausage etc. Then the "egg guy" as we called him... Poor chap! We observed him panic as guests asked for fried or poached eggs. He took around ten minutes to fry someone's egg on New Year's Day and we gave up and helped ourselves to the poached eggs he had put in for us then disappeared. The third morning egg guy seemed more organised but my poached egg had been in so long it was bouncy!!
The breakfast waiting staff seemed to have no direction, they used little initiative and the ones who did work hard seemed to get asked to do more and more by the f&b supervisor who just barked orders at staff without any leadership.
If anything needs to improve it's the service in the dining room.
Bar service was also incredibly slow , appreciated the hotel was busy but more money could be taken if service improved.
We did have a nice time overall but really needed to take a deep breath each time we entered the restaurant.
Not sure we would return to this hotel as there are others at same price with better rooms and service.
I daresay if management reply it will be to say thank you for comments and will aim to rectify the issues. But despite previous comments something is not getting through here.

• Stayed December 2012
We wish to thank you especially for the praise regarding your stay at Hilton Dunkeld. It’s our endeavour to ensure that all our guests spend an unforgettable stay at our hotel and apologise for the parts you did not enjoy. Our new executive chef started with us after New Year and with his abundance of experience I am sure if you return you will observe changes. Effective leadership of our staff is imperative and our food and beverage team will scrutinise your feedback to make improvements. Thank you again for your feedback.
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for 2nights inbetween christmas and new year and it is one of our favourite hotels! the staff are fantastic and the location of the hotel has got to be seen to be believed ! Our room was decent but needs some TLC, the pool etc is brilliant especially with a ten year old daughter, but where this hotel seems to consistently let it's self down is the inconsistency of food! Our first night the food was absolutely brilliant we had 3 different types of salmon for a starter and the salmon mousse melted in your mouth, I had salmon for a main as well and the sauce was delicious, husband had mushroom pasta which was brilliant and daughter had korma all good !! so next night went for salmon starter again and same main but with different fish same sauce ! All I can say is disappointing even the Korma was rubbish ! it was a busy night as there was a wedding on but no excuse for such poor food !

Did it spoil our break no , will we be back yes ! but please keep up the standards of delivering good food, people pay a great deal of money to stay and it should be of a conistent standard!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Your review is appreciated and we thank you for all the positive comments about our hotel. We apologise for your displeasure regarding the consistency of the evening meals and have just recruited a new executive chef at Hilton Dunkeld. We are sure with his wealth of experience the issues you encountered will be resolved. We are pleased you will return in the future and we will look forward to welcoming you back.
Prestwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel is in a beautiful location and the views out of the windows in the dinning room are truely spectacular, the fire is always on and the staff provided a warm receptiojn. The hotel is looking slightly worn, on walking through the hotel to the swimming pool parts of the paint is falling off the wall, the hallways all need refreshed. The rooms were nice although bathroom looks slightly dated.

We stayed for 2 night on a dinner, bed and breakfast package my boyfriend has food allergies and I called the hotel in advance to ensure they would be able to cater to his needs. At dinner the first night the waiter was very attentive and checked with the kitchen on what options were gluten free, the meal was lovely and it was great to receive such good service. However at breakfast in the morning we has to ask 3 times and wait 30 minutes to get an omlete which we were told would take 5 mins. On the 2nd evening the waiter paid no such attention, taking 10 minutes to bring water to the table and my boyfriend was served grilled chicken with no sauce which was dry. There was no gluten free dessert option other than plain vanilla. I was very disappointed after being assured they would cater for any dietary requirement, the standard of service provided was not what I expected.

For a meal that should have cost £28 per person, I really expect a higher standard of food and better service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, your disappointment is disappointing for us too; that we provided exceptional service for part of your stay but it did not conclude that way. Yours dietary requirements should have been treated with the upmost importance from our food and beverage team and apologise sincerely for the lapse in service. We are pleased you enjoyed the wonderful location and do hope you will return in the future.

Hilton Dunkeld

Been to Hilton Dunkeld House? Share your experiences!