“cheap stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Folkestone
London, United Kingdom
“cheap stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Not good, had a night stay, it was disaster, faulty locks, smelly rooms but the view beats them all and staffs very lovely and warm. If you are looking for a good stay you are better off somewhere else but if you are tight on budget, it might be the one for you.

Room Tip: Balcony and sea view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Stuttgart, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The hotel is really nice from the outside and located in The Leas with a direct sea view. Once you enter though, you notice the outdated furnishing and and old smell. This smell and the outdated indoors also are present in the rooms. We had a room on 4th floor with a magnificent sea view though. Breakfast was okay. The staff was very friendly and helpful and they are very fit in foreign languages.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Luton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed here recently for one night prior to an early ferry departure from Dover. As you approach the hotel from the road the building looks quite impressive from the outside, however once inside the first thing that hits you is the old and musty smell. Whilst I waited at the reception desk I had a quick look around and my immediate thoughts were to make my excuses and to make a hasty exit. The place reminded me of a homeless persons hostel. Unfortunately my opportunity passed as the man on reception greeted me and confirmed my booking for the night. I reluctantly checked in and was shown the direction of my room via the stairs. It is quite evident that the hotel is in desperate need of a major facelift, the bright orange artex walls were probably fashionable in the 70s. The room itself was quite clean but again smelled musty. The single bed was hard and creaked. The furniture again was a through back from the 70s. I slept the night arose quite early and left the hotel briskly and although I paid for B&B I skipped breakfast preferring to have my breakfast on the ferry. The hotel was advertised as a 2 star therefore you shouldn't expect too much, needless to say anymore I will not be returning, in fact given the choice I would rather spend the night on the beach.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Folkestone is in need of a major overhaul which is a shame as I bet it was once quite nice. The southcliff hotel is also in need of a major refurbishment but if its only a cheap over night stay its ok, the rooms smell a bit musty and there is no atmosphere in the bar etc... Pull up, get your key, go to bed and carry on travelling to where your destination is the next day.

Room Tip: We had rooms 31 and 34 which were on third floor overlooking the sea. We headed out for something to...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Banbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Booked a night here to visit the Air Show and managed to secure two rooms with balconies overlooking the sae front that gave brilliant views of everything, including the firework display at the end of the day. As soon as we walked in to the lobby we were made to feel at home even though we arrived much earlier than planned and our rooms were not ready. The staff are friendly and hospitable. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast was included and was a good breakfast. This is great value for money B&B and I recommend it.

We are a family of four and took two double rooms (103 and 104) which seemed to have been one big room originally. The doors faced each other off the main corridor so we could circulate very easily between the two rooms as if we had a two room suite. It worked really well for us.

Room Tip: 103/104 for families wanting balcony and sea views
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We booked and stayed for one night at £32 room only. The room was a good size, rear facing.

We arrived very late and rang ahead to confirm we were definitely arriving to ensure the room was held. The guy on reception was very professional and jolly for 1am!!

The lift is small, as previously mentioned and really typical of this age and type of hotel. Part of the character of the hotel really.

The room had everything we needed including towels, toiletries and tea/coffee.

Parking is very close in a pay and display. We managed to park on the road just road the corner.

I would definitely stay here again and hope to spend a little longer on the bed! (Late arrival and early departure)

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Pudsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Once again I find myself staying in a hotel that offers quality at the price you pay.

As always before writing my reviews I read the bad reviews that others have submitted, and then I look for the bad points of the hotel. Needless to say that the bad reviews of recent for this hotel are unjustified.

Yes, it is an old hotel/building, other than that it was fine. When I write reviews I don't study the outside decoration, or look for minor decorating errors.

I was here for 4 nights, it was quiet, clean, comfortable and cozy. The staff were helpful, polite and caring.

Granted, the shower/toilet was rather small, but I only wanted it for a shower or Shi.....

The reception area is big, bright, clean and comfortable. Internet access is available here, and also in the bar lounge area.

I liked my stay here, it was quiet and peaceful. Facilities were of the standard commensurate of the price per night.

Do I want to stay at a posh new travel lodge style hanger with beds, or a building with character and colour? Give me a place like the Southcliff anytime.

I'm down this end of the country again in a few weeks time. Will I be staying here, at the Southcliff? I most probably will.

A message to the management of the Southcliff: Don't waste your time justifying to the whingers that review you. They will whinge no matter where they go.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Southcliff? Share your experiences!