“80th birthday dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
London
“80th birthday dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at the Grand previously and had cream tea on a couple of occasions we decided to arrange a lunch here to celebrate my mums 80th Birthday.
The lunch was arranged through Victoria at the grand and we booked for Sunday carvery for 13 family members
Received a arm welcome on aarival and shown to a good table tucked away in its own little area in the conservatory area.
The waiter took our wine order (No house white available!) And then took time to explain the carvery set up and invited us to get our starter.
There was a fantastic choice of starters set out for us to help ourselves which included a great poached salmon which was well presented.
The main carvery was great quality and with 4 meats to close from presented bit of a dilemma as to what to pick!, but that was quickly resolved by having a couple of meats if required.
Good range of vegetables also available.
We had also ordered a vegetarian and children's in advance which were served as requested without issue.
Great choice of desserts or cheeseboard topped off a great meal.
At the end my mom was given a card and some chocolate which was a nice touch.
All the staff were great and helped to make this a lovely day.
Thanks also to the restaurant manager for his help on the day and Victoria for setting up the event.
Will be back soon for a cream tea!

Visited June 2014
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear iprodrick,
Firstly please pass my birthday wishes on to your Mother; I am very pleased that she enjoyed her celebration with us.
Shane, our Acting Food & Beverage Manager and Victoria, our Weddings and Events Coordinator will be delighted to read your feedback, thank you. Shane will especially be pleased your Mothers present and card was well received.
I thank you for sharing with other visitors to this site your fulsome description of our offering for Sunday lunch at The Grand, we aim to provide the best experience possible and your feedback suggests we are in some way successful in that aim. I thank you also for noting our vegetarian service.

Victoria, Shane and co look forward to your next visit,

The Grand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“What a difference ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

My last review of this venue, albeit the Keppels Bar downstairs, was less than flattering, so it is a pleasure to be able to write something more positive about the upstairs restaurant, the Palm Court. This offers superb views over the English Channel and food that represents very good value.

The starters were good and the main courses well presented - plate service, rather than silver or butler, but that is not a problem. The desserts were also first class.

Our waiter, who was there four years ago and has now returned after a stint at another local restaurant that I have reviewed, was attentive, without being intrusive.

On a good day, this is a fantastic place to eat; but despite enjoying our last two visits, the standard is not consistent, so it is worth being prepared for a mixed bag. Overall, I found it worth a try.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Stephen P
Thank you for sharing your impressions of your most recent visit to us with other reviewers on here; all the more thanks as you appear to have had a more positive experience than your last.
I am pleased that you enjoyed especially the dessert offering and I will ensure that this is passed to the Pastry Chef who will be delighted. Equally I am pleased to see you note the return of one of our older members of the team, Gregory, we certainly missed him during his absence and are very happy to have him returned to The Grand.

I will be discussing your concerns regarding consistency issues with our Acting Food & Beverage Manager, however please do contact me at The Grand directly so I might be better aware of your comments, experiences and concerns.

glasgow
“Pay a visit!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Afternnon Tea superb!! The meals are very popular and very good.Have a good reputation.To sit in there is just lovely.

Visited May 2014
Dear pinkchampagneGlasgow,
Short, sweet and straight to the point! What a fantastic review of the Palm Court.
Our team thanks you! I thank you!

Coventry, United Kingdom
“A worthwhile afternoon tea experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We visited during a quiet period, and received attentive service. We were impressed by the value for money of the "Grand High Tea" (only £9 per person at the time of writing), and the food was of good quality. Although the Palm Court itself exudes a slight ambience of "faded elegance", it was still charming in its own way, and the cliff-top location is unbeatable. There is a stunning coastal walk which can be taken after enjoying your dining experience at the Palm Court. Overall, we had a memorable visit.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Richard A,
Very many thanks for your review; I am very pleased you found your visit with us to be a memorable one, what more could we ask for! I would also take the opportunity to thank you for stressing the value for money of our Cream tea offering which I’m delighted to say remains the same as the figure you quote in your review.
My team and I look forward to your next visit,

Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Lovely afternoon tea, great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Had a Sunday afternoon tea here with a friend and it was lovely.

We were sat in the window and had a lovely sea view. A choice of tea would have been welcomed, but there was only one on offer, the tea consisted of a large pot of tea with a cake-stand including (for each of us) 4 quarter sandwiches (mixed fillings), a fairly large scone with jam and clotted cream and a slice of something more suited to dessert than tea, which we left as it wasn't very nice.

Service was good, not too fast but we were enjoying the scenery so the pace was great for us.

Overall I would visit again and shall bring my mum here next time she visits.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Mollie 1401
Very many thanks for your review of your Sunday afternoon tea experience in the Palm Court, The Grand. I am sorry that you felt the choice of offering could have been expanded but I have made a note and we will take that feedback on board for our next menu change. I am pleased however that you found the portions more than ample and am sorry that the cakes were not to your personal taste, although I am sure that had you made us aware we could have provided an alternative.

Our team looks forward to your next visit,