“Absolutely hopeless” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
london
“Absolutely hopeless”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

This review concerns the restaurant experienced as a non resident diner lunchtime.

The first bad sign was that the table we were led to had not been cleaned or laid up.We then had a very long wait for the menu. At length we grabbed a waiter and asked for menus. Had we not done so I think we would still be waiting now. Getting the drink order and the food order was also a challenge as the waiters were completely inattentive.

We then waited and waited for our starters. After 45 minutes a lady came out and told us that our orders had not yet even teached the kitchen because the system was down. More delay. Evemtially we and several other diners paid for our drinks and left. Such a pity as the location and the building are superb. Clearly the current management need to be kicked out.

Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear michaelholley

Thank you for your review. I apologise that an unanticipated computer server failure (with our resulted in till system failing to communicate with our Kitchen) resulted in a less than satisfactory lunch for yourself and your guest. As you will of course be aware from recent news events the reliance on computerized systems has also affected the smooth running of a major banking chain this year and we, like them, have learnt from this and have put in procedures to ensure that our guests are not inconvenienced in the way you were moving forward.
This is by no means an attempt to “pass the buck” but a realistic statement of the event in question.
I would very much hate for this incident to affect your opinion of the property and would very much like the opportunity to remedy your dissatisfaction, therefore please contact me at The Grand should you be able.
I look forward to speaking with you,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hythe, United Kingdom
“Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Had lunch in the stunning conservatory in the Grand overlooking the Channel. This must be the best view on the Coast....anywhere. Food and service good. Thoroughly recommended. Manages to still retain an air of Edwardian Elegance.

Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Anthony_B,
Thank you for your absolutely fantastic review of The Palm Court at The Grand. It will be my great pleasure to forward this to my Food & Beverage Manager and Head Chef.

On behalf of myself and my staff I look forward to welcoming you back to the Palm Court in the near future.

TO VISIT OUR MAIN TRIP ADVISOR SITE, SIMPLY ENTER “GRAND HOTEL” IN THE SEARCH BOX ABOVE

Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting - lousy service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Food was cold and when we told the waiter he was kind enough to take it back. We had to wait a long time -the rest of our party had finished their meal.

Visited August 2012
Dear AllOverTheShow,
Thank you for your review of The Palm Court at The Grand, I am sorry that on this occasion our food quality did not live up to your expectation. I am also sorry that going by your 28 other reviews for Folkestone posted on the same day as this review many other premises were not to your satisfaction either. I will ensure your review is forwarded to our catering team and is investigated fully.

On behalf of myself and my staff I look forward to welcoming you back to Folkestone and the Palm Court in the near future.

Halifax, United Kingdom
“Escape from Chainsville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I only offer reviews on Trip Advisor when I am motivated by delight or anger. I realise that I could be making a foolish mistake by telling you just how good this hotel is - because the more popular it becomes, the harder it will become for me to enjoy what I like about it so much. It is an oasis. An escape from the chaos of life and the crush of crowds.

My work takes me to many locations. I have to stay in hotels all over the country. I visit the area around Folkestone around six times a year. I make a beeline for this hotel. (Let me just say that I stay with friends in the area, so my visits to the Grand Hotel are always for food and relaxation with clients and I have not yet stayed in the rooms).

My abundant passion for this place is for all the things it is not. Shall I list them?

It is NOT a rapidly built modern building on a trading estate.
It is NOT an offshoot of one of those inconsistent chains, which often can be high on promise but low on performance.
It is NOT just another hotel.

I love this hotel, and I really mean love, because I walk into a world which make me feel grateful - it's like being on a film set. It's got so much atmosphere, as the building and the style within, are so absolutely grand. So often I have called in only to find that as I sit with a business contact, our discussions are supported by the gentle and heart-warming sound of a grand piano being played by a REAL pianist. The pianists in the average week are not always completely polished, but heck - they are more than good enough to lift the occasion. The songs are always well chosen and the respectful level of sound means you can still talk and enjoy a high degree of privacy at the same time.

Every time I see other people at the large linen clothed tables, they are .... wait for it ....HAPPY. Everybody is smiling or talking with warmth and the good feeling is everywhere. People are proud to be here.

Let me tell you about the table staff. INCREDIBLE! Totally pro ... smart ... intelligent ...polite ...and discreet. No matter whether you're wishing to impress a business prospect, a wife, a girlfriend or your dear gran, they will ALL be super impressed. I took them somewhere special - and that makes me look clever. Propose here. Make your offer here. Pledge yourself here – it’s the right place. You have time to think, no one will rush you.

My worst nightmare is that this gorgeous place will one day be sold to one of those tacky chains that replace service and charm with indifference and tat. Get here while you can!

I mentioned that I had not stayed in rooms here yet - that is true, but one amazing thing I did, was to take my family down for the Christmas Day banquet last year. WOW! (And I hate that word). The quality and choice of food was vast and brilliant; there were Christmas trees everywhere, and pianos playing in all rooms! No corners cut here.

This is a hotel that knows how to make you feel really good.

Negatives: It can get a bit hot at the front tables of the hotel on really sunny days - get near a window! Watch the front steps in the wet! I found that the downstairs loos had cubicles that were a bit small so the doors tend to push you against the loo seat when you open or close them (I hate that).. I also find the prices can make me think twice about visiting often - but if it is a special event, or you need to impress, or if you simply need to be in touch with a genuine world, untouched by the conveyor-belt, predictable, impersonal and often average services of those bright coloured hotels from Chainsville - this is where to go.

A typical visit to the Grand for me includes a light meal, or salmon sandwiches, teacakes and coffee galore. The sorbet is like nothing else on earth. The food has always been perfect. You can drop in any time of the day, that is another big plus.

The Grand is definitely worth a visit. Walks along the Leas and down to the seafront are essential on a nice day. The elderly may find the steps up again from the seafront a little challenging, but you can always take it slowly.

I have never met or spoken to the owner but I hope he knows that he has a duty to keep this going. I hope this a place that delights you too!

Room Tip: I have not stayed here yet, but visited often to use restaurant facilities.
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“no internal ramp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

No wheelchair access to the Palm Court, and no effort has been made to accommodate disabled people uunable to walk.

Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Alan S,
Thank you for your comments. The Grand, as a grade 2 listed building, is subject to the requirements of its local authority via the submission of listed building applications when looking to make any alterations to the premises. Two years ago the management of the premises looked into the provision of a ramp for the Palm Court restaurant and regrettably found that due to current requirements we would be unsuccessful in any bid to provide this. However I am delighted to say that the staff at The Grand (including the Palm Court) make every effort to successfully ensure the same provisions for service; that is the same staff, service, view, décor and menus are readily available in all of the adjourning areas, all of which are wheelchair enabled via the two wheelchair accessible entrances provided for our guests ease of use.
Should I be able to offer any further comments please don’t hesitate to contact myself at The Grand, a venue I look forward to welcoming you back to in the near future.