“" Excellent place to stay "” 5 of 5 stars

Garden Lodge
324 Canterbury Road | Densole, Folkestone CT18 7BB, England   |
Ranked #23 of 27 Folkestone B&B and Inns
Kent
“" Excellent place to stay "”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I can honestly say that this is the place to stay, Decor everywhere and very expensive very pleasing to look around, I do not like places with bare walls and that unlived in feeling. The rooms are very comfortable well furnished with all the little bits you need for an overnight stay or a few days you only need a toothbrush. The pool is great all enclosed so you can swim on a rainy day, or go in the spa and they even have a sauna with a changing room and towels to use so no need to bring any.The breakfast is like a feast with lots of choice starting with cereal,fruit juice or yogurt, followed by a full cooked breakfast with 8 or 9 choices or you can have it all, also a veggie option.Your eggs are cooked 4 different ways your choice, and toast ,jam & marmalade and tea,coffee or hot chocolate.They are not doing evening meals at the moment but just up the road in both directions are eating places which are good prices.
So do not take any notice of negative reviews as they are nit picking and do not know quality when it stares them in the face.Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did will be recommending to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: Room 7 is best it has a small outside area which is a must if you are a smoker
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

I booked this b&b as a stopover to France, after reading the reviews I was nervous as to what I would get when we arrived, the lady who owned the place was very rude we asked where we could get something to eat and were told that we could'nt bring anything back because it would stink th place out! we found a lovely little pub down the road and had a lovely dinner. the b&b itself was quite cluttered, but I was pleasantly surprised by the room, it was clean, with plenty of room, and we all slept very good. the breakfast left a lot to be dis sired,we had stated that we wanted the breakfast at the earliest time they had,as we had to catch the ferry, but instead we were left sitting there for 20min with nothing, when it did arrive, it wasn't the food that we had asked for, the kids cereal was stale, and the tea was cold, plus we didn't have any time to eat anything as we he to leave to catch the ferry.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We were welcomed by the lady of the house who was very polite & efficient. Our room was beautiful & had plenty of neccesitys & room, lovely extra in that we could go in the pool & hot tub. Didn't stay for breakfast as we had to leave much earlier than the arranged time. Would recommend, & perfect for families :-) thankyou

• Stayed August 2012
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband I stayed at Garden Lodge,we arrived as strangers looking for a place to stay for the night we were surprised to see such a nice clean and nicely decorated B @B, it was turned on for us,home cooked meals laid on even second helpings,nice comfortable bed in a beautiful room,we left as friends.
I have never read such rude reviews by such ungreatful people.
We did not use the swimming pool or fitness centre.
Betty .R

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We booked to stay at Garden Lodge through Booking.com based on the 4 star rating given and the photographic images. We did try to see the reviews on the site but none were given owing to "not enough reviews being given"'
On arrival we were shown to our room which smelled damp and musky. There were wrapped chocolates on the beds which had obviously been nibbled by mice and if that wasn't bad enough there was dog excrement on the floor!
After complaining, the mess was picked off the carpet. We asked to be moved to another room which we were given, but unfortunately that also had evidence of mice infestation, smelled damp and musky and also the hand soap dispenser had mold growing inside it. We then decided that we would not be staying there and asked for our money back which after some discussion was refunded.
We then had to find alternative accommodation late at night which was quite stressful.
The whole awful experience ruined our weekend!
THE PLACE SHOULD CLOSED!!!

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sannois, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed 4 nights, with my family, one 3 years old child and one baby. I can't believe how this old woman can still run this lodge. She is so mean and rude.
We paid in advance by internet so we had to stay. We try to take advantage in having good time in swimming pool.

DAY 1 : we arrived without any Hello, the landlady stared at us like she wanted to kill us, I have never experimented such an awfull welcome
DAY 2 : we were speaking with my child far away from her bedroom (on the floor, just near the entrance door!) we were told to be quiet by the morning staff,the landlady wanted to relax without been disturbing, yuuuuuuh.
DAY 3 : On the morning we were forgotten : no breakfast, the cooking staff didn't come. No appologize, only the son was uncomfortable.
DAY 4 : I had to pay extra charges for the baby cot. She was ready to receive the money. So I decided to tell the landlady how I feel uneasy, unwanted. I can't write what she told me, it's so mean and nonsense. Even if she is disable, if she is so angry and unhappy in her life, she should stop receive people.

At our departure, I was told I should be gratefull she let me be in the lodge between 10 AM to 5PM (and what about my children rest ?) She seems to have no idea what a B&B is !

I don't know what to do to avoid this experience to other people. The old lady can't stand anything, I can't help thinking : why is she still go on, receive people ?

I am a great travellers, I have never seen customerservice like that.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

Reading some of the reviewers' comments, I wonder if they stayed in the same place as us. The proprietors, Ron and Sue could not have been more welcoming. The hotel is very well'appointed and the rooms were clean and cosy ( which given the awful weather outside, we really appreciated)
The TV coverage does not do justice to the place. Go and stay there. I guarantee you'll be glad you did!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
baliorchid23, Owner at Garden Lodge, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
lovely to meet you both. and thank you for taking the time to review our guest house. hope you had a good trip home.

Been to Garden Lodge? Share your experiences!