“Always good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
huddersfield
“Always good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This place is one of the few restaurants where the takeaways are just as good as when eating inside. We takeout from Balooshai once every fortnight and have never had any problems. We always order the Deluxe meal for 2 for £15(Mix starter, choice of 2 curries, rice and nan), very good value for money.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Unhappy.. :-(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

As a contractor working away from home I often use my phone to find out the best places to eat.. After reading the reviews praising every element of the service I thought I'd found the perfect place..

I did only have a takeaway so I cannot comment on anything but the food, which in short was awful. . The nann breads were stone cold, also didn't seem to be fresh, one was wrong to what we ordered too.. There was no onion salad with the Popadoms, the mint sauce resembled the consistency of milk.. The chips were again, stone cold, possibly colder, not only that they appeared to be old, possibly from a lunchtime batch or worse, the previous day.. The actual curries, I had the chilli, garlic lamb.. It was hot, however the lamb was chewy, bland and full of grease and fat, my friend had a Dansak and refered to it as the "worst" dansak he'd ever had.. All in all, not happy at all..

Either the previous reviewers have accidentally posted a review of another excellent restaurant on this page or they are lacking in the regular amount of taste buds in the human mouth or they're all the owners/staff falsifying reviews to dupe unsuspecting visitors to Huddersfield in to sample their sub standard food... Either way I couldn't disagree more with the other reviews.

I will say that the young lad who took my order and talked me through a few dishes was helpful and friendly.. this is the only part of the experience up to par.....

Oh, and also, the fish tanks are not full of fish, nor are they clean, well one is relatively clean, while the other tank is filthy in a thick green slime, with it's unlucky inhabitants looking on at the neighboring relatively clean tank with envy...!!

Give this place a swerve, £21.80 I'll never get back :-(

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Not been in a long time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

It must be 5 years since we last ate at the Balooshi Central we used to go most weeks through no fault of the restaurant we stopped going. So as we was looking for somewhere to eat latish last night we decided to see if it had changed.

It hadnt the food was still good but a little hot for the wife, I had garlic chicken with split green chillies so i knew that it would be hot, the dish was lovely especially as it was topped off with almost caramalised slices of garlic.

The wife had cauliflower and potato which was little hot for her but again tasty.

It was quiet when we was there but it was late on but the open kitchen and the lovely aromas that eminate from it make for the atmosphere.

Good meal reasonably priced, hasnt changed much over the years

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Walton, United Kingdom
“Stunning find!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My second business trip to Huddersfield and my second visit to this stunning little pearl! The open kitchen is fantastic and the staff are all friendly jovial and informative. The food is absolutely exquisite,a little on the pricey side but you get what you pay for....beautifully prepared excellent tasty food. For the whole place to fit in a railway arch is a lesson on how to use space to its maximum. If i'm in Huddersfield again,i will return without a doubt. I would advise booking as space is limited although both my visits enabled me to get a table as it was opening. 5 stars!!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Tasty fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

It was our first time at Balooshai as we were visitors to the area.

It is true that from the outside it's not the greatest looking restaurant, and you wouldn't visit to admire the plush interior as it's fairly basic, but the food was superb.

Both starters and mains were full of flavour, and beautifully-cooked, It has a good range of vegetarian options, and it has more than just the standard range of a curry house.

The service was faultless. Friendly, but not intrusive, Quick but unhurried.

If you are in Huddersfield, we'd highly recommend it.

• Visited September 2012