“Something different” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Something different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

What a gem of a place, wish had visited sooner!

Discovery Bay is hidden well and small in size but it just adds to the amazing food you get once in. Service was great from start to finish and can highly recommend the sweet beef and coconut chicken! Absolutely to die for!

• Visited February 2013

Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
“Divine Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stunning Food, caters very well for vegetarians. Friendly staff and a lovely suprise to find this restaurant in Huddersfield - the red bean stew is reccommended! Tucked away location so could be hard to find if you werent familiar with the area.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leeds, United Kingdom
“FRIENDLY,COSY AND EXTREMELY TASTY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I havd been meaning to go to this restaraunt for a long time since seeing the the owner Barrington Douglas featured on the tv with Gary Rhodes. It was a series about Gary Rhodes' travels to the carribean, where he explored and and leared about Carribean Cuisine. I never did get round to going to the resturant until one day myself and a colleauge were in Huddersfield and realised that we were hungry as we walked in search of somewhere to eat, we spotted discovery Bay. We immediately went in and was greeted warmly by a member of staff, The atmosphere was very cozy and it was full we soon realised that we should have booked but luckily there was a table which had just been vacated. We were shown to the bar to sit down and have a drink while they prepared our table. The lady behind the bar knew the menu inside out & informed us that there were some specials that evening. The menu had a selection very delicious sounding dishes. I was spoilt for choice. I ended up chosing one of the specials which was extremely tasty. I myself am a very good cook especially traditional Carribean food, taught to me by my mother and father. The food here was authentic and flavoursome with added twists and cheffy touches, the service and atmosphere were exceptional. This is obviously a family run establishment and the customer attention was excellent. I just hope they can expand in the future and go from strength to strength. It was an 11 out of 10 experience.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Yorkshire
“Really enjoyed this meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was a birthday meal with my son and his Dad. I have spent some time in Jamaica so was looking forwards to trying the food. I was given a free g&t because it was my birthday which was nice. We shared a mixed platter starter which was pleasant although a little heavy on the deep fried stuff was well presented. I had curried goat - the flavour was excellent although the sauce was darker than I remember and the meat off the bone (although most probably prefer it that way!). My son ate an adult portion of jerk chicken which he loved. I had a tia maria coffee and was surprised that the waitress did not know tia maria is from Jamaica. I quickly googled it (the wonders of modern technology) and discovered that it was sold to an Italian company a few years ago and may not be any more. Anyway, I would recommend this to anyone for a lovely night out more suited to small parties than big groups as it is intimate and pricy (although worth it).

• Visited January 2013
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“ok a little overhyped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

went there the 1st saturday of 2013 as part of my wifes 40th birthday celebrations and found the restaurant so so. I booked a table the week before on the phone and told them it was for my wives 40th and was offered a complimentary rum punch which was a nice touch i thought.
The meal itself i had the mango and mushroom starter my wife the fishcakes both i have to say was very good the main however i had the peppered steak (apparently the hottest main dish on the menu according to the waitress) was pretty bland to be honest not hot at all i didnt think and it was kind of scattered onto the plate, my wife had the honeyed beef and to the eye looked identical im not saying they were but in taste they were not miles apart either!
We ordered the house red which i had to ask twice for eventually the waitress brought over with two glasses and i was left to pour the drinks myself, the complimentary rum punch i also had to remind of but in fairness the waitress apologised and made two one for me also so cant complain however shouldnt of really had to ask and likewise then they wouldnt of felt obliged to give drinks away. Dont think i will be rushing back

• Visited January 2013