“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Luton-South

You added Holiday Inn Luton-South to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Luton-South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London Rd, Markyate | M1, Jct. 9, Luton AL3 8HH, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Luton
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here as part of our coach trip to London and oxford on the 1st and 2nd december.
We arrived and the receptionists were ok, we were give our key and left to find our own room, bit strange as there was two directions to choose from but we found ourselves in the end.
The rooms were lovely, clean and welcoming with plenty of info for us to look through and a great tele!
We went to the restaurant to find that it was closed off due to a christmas party taking up the whole room, this was very annoying as we had been asked in the day to tell the hotel how many on our coach would be eating that night and they never told us that we would be sat in a bar area with tiny tables, cold breeze and only the bar menu to choose from, let alone the fact that there would be a party going on where would have liked to have eaten after a big day in London. Staff seemed very stressed, guests were scattered everywhere and pots werent being cleared! We found a table in the end asked someone to clean it for us which he did half of the job and left an empty wine bottle, two glasses and didnt clean the spilt wine off it.
I asked at the bar whether the onion rings were from frozen or fresh made, the man said he didnt know and never offered to find out (yes i am picky i know) but the bar at this point wasnt busy and he was stood doing nothing.
The food came quick and was fine, nothing special but was hot and what we ordered. Food prices were ok, its London so you cant expect anything to be particulary cheap.
Good nights sleep, didnt hear much from other rooms.
Breakfast was lovely, plenty of staff who were also more polite than the experience the night before.

Overall rooms were lovely and comfortable! lack of communication within the hotel and under staffed, room for improvements and i can definately say that us northerners are more polite.

• Stayed December 2012
HILutonSouth, Manager at Holiday Inn Luton-South, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thankyou for leaving us your feedback about your stay with us last weekend. I appreciate all of your comments, and I will be using some of them to take some actions within the Hotel which I hope will assure you that the issues have been addressed.

I apologise that the restaurant was closed to a private party on the night you stayed. I understand that your party contacted the Hotel during the day to request that dinner arrangements be put in place. The message came by fax into one of our closed offices and the message was not relayed to the operational departments. I am sorry that this breakdown in communication led to your party being restricted with their options and I have reviewed how we gather this information throughout the day to ensure that the relevant departments are kept up to date on any changes. I am glad that you enjoyed the meal that you did have, but I would have hoped that the information regarding your dish was obtained for you in a timely and professional manner, and I will address this issue within our customer service training sessions.

I hope that despite these issues that you enjoyed your stay, and that we can welcome you back to the Hotel at some stage in the future.

Kind regards, Stephanie Weedon,. Operations Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Ashford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed on Friday/Saturday. Friday was OK - bar was busy with people attending a function but, once they'd gone upstairs, the hotel guests had the place to themselves. No warning about Saturday, however: the restaurant was closed because of another Christmas function, and the bar was overrrun and understaffed. My compensation when I complained? A free drink voucher and a 45-minute wait for a club sandwich. This hotel is poorly run and clearly doesn't care how it treats guests (I'm a member of the Priority scheme, the name of which carries some irony). As is usual, when I checked out no one asked if I'd enjoyed my stay. Why bother? They'd taken my money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
HILutonSouth, Manager at Holiday Inn Luton-South, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thankyou for taking the time to leave us your feedback about your stay over the weekend. We use all feedback and comments from our guests to help us to contiually improve our service and standards.
I would like to apologise that you were not made aware that our restaurant was booked for a private Christmas Party on Saturday night. We do try to make this aware and changes to our restaurant opening times and availability are posted to our websites as far in advance as possible so our guests are aware. I appreciate that the bar was extremely busy on Saturday night for a short time before the festivities started upstairs, and as I'm sure you will have witnessed we were actively trying to usher our guests to the function rooms. However, they were meeting friends and family as they arrived to the Hotel and this resulted in a very busy bar area with a short wait on food and drink. I want to assure you that we do care about our guests very much, we are very passionate about the service we offer and many of our Team Members go above and beyond to try and ensure that every guest has a fantastic stay. With over 250 guests enjoying themselves at one of our functions on Saturday, it is extremely disappointing that we did not get everything entirely right for you, and once again I apolgise.

I hope that the problem you encountered does not deter you from staying with us again, and if you would like to talk with me directly regarding your stay then please contact me on ops.hiluton@qmh-hotels.com.

Kind regards, Stephanie Weedon, Operations Manager
Lake Mary, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stopped in this hotel whilst i was down in the Lutona rea for work.
Booked it on expedia at a cheap rate. The hotel is ok, very basic. My room had a double bed, but there wasnt much space at the sides of it. The receptionist was very friendly and approachable.
The bar/ restaurant facilites were good, and there was a gym with a pool. i ddint try the pool as it was shut when i checked in, and probably shut when i left in the morning.
My main gripe with the hotel, is they charge for WiFi. IMO charging customers for WiFi is a massive no. Ridiculous costs for something which should and in most hotels is complimentary.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kingsteignton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I booked this hotel as it had a jacuzzi and steam room with pool. The facilities were top notch, brilliant jacuzzi. The rooms were quite small, much smaller than a Premier Inn, I would stay for a night or two but no more, just too cramped. The staff were very helpful and the breakfast was plentiful and well cooked. The main road is busy so ask for a room at the back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HILutonSouth, Manager at Holiday Inn Luton-South, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thankyou for leaving us your feedback about your recent stay at our Hotel. I am pleased that you took advantage of our leisure facilities and also that you enjoyed your breakfast. I will pass your comments onto the relevant departments.

Kind regards,

Stephanie Weedon, Operations Manager
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed overnight Fri 2nd Nov after a trip to London - easy to find, warm welcome , rooms were clean and the beds lovely and comfortable
We got a great last minute deal which included breakfast - the breakfast was fantastic, lots of choice
The staff we had contact with were all professional, friendly and helpful
Would highly recommend

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HILutonSouth, Manager at Holiday Inn Luton-South, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thankyou for taking the time to leave us your positive feedback regarding your stay with us last weekend. I am pleased that you found our Hotel to be of a good standard and I will make sure that our Team Members hear about your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon,

Kind regards,

Stephanie Weedon, Operations Manager
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Pleasant experience

Pros: Cheap price, good service, bar open late. Quick checkout. Clean room

Cons: Breakfast was very busy so we could not eat in the restaurant, but we did eat in the bar which was ok.
Staff not so knowledgeable on local restaurants, we were encouraged to get a taxi to a restaurant which was just a mere 3 minute walk down the road.

Rooms very small, but well equipped. We only had one bath towel between both of us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We were here for a wedding reception, it was awful; the tables weren't laid when we arrived at 4pm, the food was cold, tasteless & thrown on to the table. The main course was tough "roast beef" yorkshire puddings you park a bus on without breaking it & 1 carrot between all 8 of us- the veg equated to 1 desert spoon each, yes just 2 tsps!! absolutely appalling.. and just in case you're curious desert wasn't even edible; I couldn't get a spoon or fork into it.

Please go some where else- I think there's a Harvester down the road....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HILutonSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Luton-South, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thankyou for leaving us your feedback about your experience back in August. We use all of the feedback we receive to help us to continuously improve our standards. I was most disappointed to read your comments and as a result I have investigated into what may have occurred and have found no weddings in August at our Hotel where either the tables were not set in time for the wedding or where the guests had roast beef on their menu. I would be most grateful if you would contact me to discuss this matter further so I can ascertain some more details on kevin.fraser@qmh-hotels.com

Kind regards

Kevin Fraser, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Luton-South? Share your experiences!