“Nice but didn't go the extra mile” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Stuart Street, Luton LU1 2SA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Luton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Nice but didn't go the extra mile”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I booked here for a weekend away with my boyfriend for his 21st, wanting to be close to london but not in the centre. The location suited us well and everything was lovely apart from a few minor niggles. We found the staff were very up and down, the two receptionist we came across were fantastic with all the knowledge you needed especially the gentleman with black hair, however the bar and restaurant staff never seemed happy to be there or willing to make you feel comfortable.

We were aware that parking was limited but managed to secure the last space which made me feel better having the car close. The room was comfortable, nice big bed and beautifully clean bathroom however the room wasnt spacious with not alot of space to sit apart from the bed, having upgraded I wondered how small the normal rooms would have been.

The location is centre of Luton without the noise and only a small walk into the local shopping area but straight off the main road so wasnt too inviting at first. We ate on arrival and enjoyed their restaurant food style, however on the second night without warning was told we couldnt eat due to a large party and that we werent welcome to order room service. Also we booked for breakfast on the sunday to then be told we werent allowed it but was charged for it. Once we explained the confusion they refunded us but I felt communication was a problem.

We came away from the hotel happy, but with these niggles. Its definitely a lovely place to stay and the bed was AMAZINGLY comfortable. Probably wouldnt return but would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask at reception for details to whether you can eat and try to book.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael_Bugler, Manager at Icon Hotel Luton, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Icon Hotel Luton. We genuinely appreciate positive & negative feedback as we strive to create the best hotel experience within our category and work towards being the best and most recognised hotel not just in Luton but in the whole of Bedfordshire.

We are very proud that we have consistently been ranked the number 1 hotel in Luton on TripAdvisor since May 2012.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay overall and that our levels of cleanliness and accommodation met your expectations however I am very disappointed that you did not receive the consistency in customer service we provide and have become recognised as guaranteed to deliver. I offer no excuses for our lack in performance on this occasion but I will add that due to the Christmas parties we are providing, restaurant availability is regrettably limited at the weekend. Having said this however, we do offer and ensure room service and an alternative dining area for our hotel residents and I cannot understand why your request to dine was handled so poorly especially when on the second evening our ‘Snug Lounge’ was set up for service as normal.

An investigation is already under way but in the meantime perhaps you’d been kind enough to contact me directly so that when you’re next staying in the Luton I can arrange for you to receive a complimentary upgrade.

I sincerely hope I will be able to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Icon.

Michael Bugler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Without a doubt the friendliest hotel I have stayed in. The welcome was warm and professional and inside was beautifully decorated and made me completely forget i was in the not so beautiful Luton. My room was a good size and well presented. Bathroom was spotless with the most amazing shower. Lovely home made Italian food available which I enjoyed in the lounge area. Breakfast was just as lovely : )

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael_Bugler, Manager at Icon Hotel Luton, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Sarah T,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Icon Hotel Luton. I am pleased that you had such an enjoyable time with us and our staff made you feel comfortable in our stylish urban retreat. I have passed your comments onto the team and I was glad to hear that you found your experience very personalised and received excellent service. Our personalised service sets us apart from the chain hotels and we treat every guest as an individual. As a result we are currently ranked the number 1 hotel in Luton and also received a Tip Advisor Certificate of Excellence award earlier in the year. I hope you had an excellent onward journey and it would be my pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Luton.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Have just stayed at the Icon for one night as we were having our office Christmas Party there. The room was free as it was the party organisers room so can't really complain about the value for money aspect. The layout of the reception area is a bit confusing but the general decor and furnishings are good. The bedroom was compact but comfortable although there was no soap in the room (only shower gel which isn't ideal for hand washing) and no fridge. The service at breakfast left a lot to be desired...after being asked if I wanted eggs, I ordered poached eggs on toast but wasn't advised that I needed to help myself to toast. The fresh pineapple was bitter and indelible. The continental options were 2 types of cheese and 2 types of cooked meat. The yoghurt servings were all different sizes. Despite being asked our tea or coffee order in arrival for breakfast it took at least 10 minutes to arrive.

Room Tip: I had a room at the back of the hotel and didn't hear any traffic or other noises.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Firstly, allow me to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Icon Hotel Luton. We genuinely appreciate all feedback as we strive to create the best hotel experience within our class and become the most recognised hotel in Luton and the whole of Bedfordshire.

We are making good progress on this front as we’re very proud of the fact that we have been consistently voted and ranked the number 1 hotel in Luton on TripAdvisor since May 2012.

I very disappointed that you experienced a poor breakfast service on the morning of your departure. We offer no excuses for the service you received and consequently an investigation is underway to establish exactly what went wrong on this occasion
as we are predictable in providing a good quality product.

I trust that your office Christmas party went very well and I am very pleased you found our bedrooms comfortable. We regularly offer complimentary bedrooms for groups who book special events as part of the value added product/service we constantly seek to provide which should set us apart from most other similar venues. We also offer complimentary on-site parking, fitness suite access and Wi-Fi as other value added services to all residents.

I sincerely hope that the blip of the breakfast service on this occasion does not deter you from visiting us again on your next visit to Luton.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Decent hotel. On a main road but you didn't hear it/feel it. Staff were nice and helpful, bar was quiet but not uncomfortably so and glass of wine was big! Bed was comfortable. Considering the only possible reason for staying in Luton is going in and out of the airport I was surprised that access didn't seem easy but that isn't necessarily hotel specific.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael_Bugler, Manager at Icon Hotel Luton, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Tanya M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Icon Hotel Luton. I am pleased that you had such an enjoyable time with us and you found the sound reduction system in the hotel very good. I have passed your comments onto the team and I was glad to hear that you found your experience very personalised and received excellent service. We are currently ranked the number 1 hotel in Luton and also received a Tip Advisor Certificate of Excellence award earlier in the year. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Luton.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Obviously Luton isn't the home of the stars but I had to do something to get your attention.

My first trip to Luton and I wasn't impressed as I drove through a landscape that was, umm, tatty at best with a lot of remedial work going on. when I got to the hotel I was amused by the tiny car park but thankful I was able to get a place. Park carefully as there's not much room for manoeuvre there.

First impressions? Another 'boutique' style hotel on a budget, apiing the style set by MalMaison with colourful and quirky decor. There seemed to be a half-hearted attempt at a Cinema motif but.....

Reception was a bit awkward, tacked at right angles to the bar it didn't have a lot of space. chaeck in was easy and efficient (aprt from the guy getting my breakfast payment wrong, grrrr).

The room was a reasonable size, not cramped and 'well appointed' with the usual accoutrements one expects. The work surface was a tad small though. Comfy bed, nice decor and a not too small telly on the wall (have hotel rooms got smaller since the advent of the wall-mounted, flat-screen TV?) WiFi did the job and the shower room was nice, with adequate space so you don't put your shoulders out squeezing in! Good shower, fluffy towels and hot water aplenty.

The in house eatery was adequate with an Italian theme (I had a burger though) and portions that filled you but didn't bankrupt, always good in an Hotel.

Downside? The locale is less than lovely with a dickensian view of rooftops and backyards, but tbh there's not that much aesthetics in Luton Central! Front rooms have a gorgeous view of the dual carriageway (andd the extra noise), so all in all I won.

Overall? I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a nice view, stay somewhere else, otherwise back rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Icon Hotel Luton. We genuinely appreciate all feedback as we constantly strive to provide the very best accommodation within in our class in Bedfordshire and wish to maintain our very proud achievement of being ranked the number 1 hotel in Luton consistently since May 2012.

I would like to take this opportunity to respond to each point of your review in turn. Luton is a town which, like many others in the UK, has had considerable sums of money invested into its regeneration in recent years and currently has many developments currently taking place. So much so that many multinational companies have now based their headquarters within the town and in addition to this the town is currently seeking a city status bid. The Icon supports the town and its surroundings areas and Franco, the owner, is an Bedfordshire Business Ambassador. Luton has many beautiful scenic and historic areas I particularly recommend Wardown Park for its picturesque scenery.

A large parking area is not normally associated with any town centre property and regrettably, we are no exception. We are however somewhat fortunate to be able to boast at least 15 parking spaces which of course is free of charge but has to be on a ‘first come first served basis’ in order to be fair. Two of our competitors (also in the town) have double the bedrooms we do but offer no parking at all. We would dearly be grateful for more on-site parking and to compensate for our lacking in this respect, we do enjoy an association with the multi-storey car park which is adjacent (almost) to us where the charge is just £6 per 24 hours – again another competitor charges £15 per day.

I trust that from your review that you did enjoy your stay overall. Our standing on review websites (reviewed by guests) shows evidence that the Icon is certainly the place to stay and I am pleased that you have identified this in your review. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Icon on your next visit to Luton.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The room was not the biggest but spotlessly clean. Breakfast is cooked to order so no semi warm buffet. But the staff outshine all this polite and attentive. This is my first choice of a hotel in Luton, I would highly recommended it

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Vince711,

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed overnight as we were visiting Luton for a friend's birthday. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the town centre and has parking. The hotel is beautifully designed inside with plush fabrics and modern design features, making the bar and restraunt area a welcome stop after our long journey. We also had an evening meal there which was lovely and fresh and resonably priced. The service was excellent, all staff made a real effort, even the chef came out for a quick chat. A great stay

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael_Bugler, Manager at Icon Hotel Luton, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear TinaT,

Michael Bugler

Been to Icon Hotel Luton? Share your experiences!