“Amazing Value.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kildare Lodge

Kildare Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Kildare Lodge
You added Kildare Lodge to your Saves list
Townsend Rd, Minehead TA24 5RQ, England   |
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Minehead
England
“Amazing Value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My Husband and I, to-gether with our adult Daughter, stayed for two night at Kildare Lodge. Our Nephew and Niece from Donegal were with us. We ourselves are from the Wirral.
We were all given a very friendly welcome and shown our four rooms. Ours looked over the sea and towards Wales. We were all delighted with them. All clean, well equipped with flat screen TV's, Tea etc. Each had an En-suite and plenty of towels. Wi-fi too.
Kildare Lodge was built in the early 1900's, it is like walking back in history. The windows are the original Victorian Leaded small glass panes. Wooden Beams cross the ceilings. Little Windows look down from the upstairs to the lounges. It really is unique.
Plenty of car parking in the grounds and lovely flowers and hanging baskets.
The Owners Sarah and Harvey are so friendly and kind. Nothing seemed to trouble them. Always pleasant and making us feel at home.
The Breakfast, full English delicious. We were sorry we could not have any meals there in the evening but we were close to relatives in Minehead and ate evening meals with the,. What we saw and smelt of the food would make any ones mouth water.
I nearly forgot to mention the price - around £30 per night each. Fantastic Value.
Thank you Sarah and Harvey, you are top of my wish list for another visit.

Room Tip: Front of house.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Minehead, Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I reviewed the restaurant at the Kildare Lodge last year. As local residents, my wife and I eat here, especially when we want to treat visitors to a special meal out. Please read my previous review for my detailed opinion - just to say this time that this time, we took our best friends, staying with us for a few days, for an evening meal. They had been to the Kildare previously for a Sunday lunch but had not experienced the evening menu. They agreed with everything we had told them about how good it is!

I've seen a couple of reviews on TripAdvisor that have been less than complimentary and I really just don't understand what could have gone wrong on those occasions. We have eaten there many times and have never found the food and service anything other than perfect. If I was going to be picky, I might say that we had too much to eat on the table but for some people, of course, that would be a good thing! I just feel embarrassed at having to leave so many vegetables uneaten on the serving plates. Also, if I was going to be REALLY picky, the menu doesn't change a huge amount over a year. However, as I said before, the choice is so big to begin with that the casual visitor will have some difficulty in choosing what to eat anyway!

Some sceptics will look at my reviews and accuse me of always being complimentary and never finding anything wrong. Perhaps I've just been lucky but I think it's because I enjoy good food and service but accept that we are all human and the people who are serving me are doing their best and any slip-ups are unintentional - as I've said before in connection with another establishment we stayed at, what is important is not that something may go wrong but how that error is handled. Having said that, I've never had any cause for complaint at the Kildare and can recommend it 100% (for its restaurant anyway).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is truely an amazing place to stay both the location to the town it's quietness, Sarah and Harvey (the owners) are kind,considerate and friendly,nothing is too much trouble.
The food is out of this world and the portions are very generous, each meal is prepared fresh upon order and takes a while but it's definately worth the wait.
The rooms are very comfortable and well equipped and we had a lovely view of the gardens.
Would recommend this to young and old alike, feels like your stepping back in time when you walk though the door.
Will definately being come back.

Room Tip: Room 3 (four poster) is above the bar but is stunning and has lovely views of the garden and is nice...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Whilst I appreciate the cold snap could not be foretold (at least not by hoteliers!) radiator problems could. Even if they couldn't say when the room was booked, the barely tepid radiator in the room should have been mentioned when I arrived. Indeed if it had been mentioned I would have overlooked the uncomfortable chill and given a better rating.
However, the breakfast plate on the first morning had rather more grease on it than was necessary to fry the contents. Apparently it had seeped from the fried bread and in truth had become rather less next day.
On the second evening I decided to dine there - long and complicated reasons for doing so but it made sense at the time - and I at least got some warmth from the open fire. The meal was fine, plenty of rather tasty vegetables and the pie was fine until I got to the meat, plenty of gristle and disappointing. I suppose I should have known better but I needed the heat from the fire - you know that 'chilled-to-the-marrow' thing?
Nice place in summer, I'm sure. Lovely old building and the ale most enjoyable. But I wouldn't stay here again, wouldn't eat here again, and don't expect any consideration.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Minehead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Went for sunday lunch party of 6 aged 8-80 all tried different meals including veg option. Everything was about good enough not to send back but all languished at a low standard had to ask for gravy / sauces to be fair it was just all overcooked and poor. We didnt complain because the 80 yr old was paying as a treat and it might of upset them but it really was grin and bear it.
Lots of room for improvment. Nice building !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

You get a very warm & attentive welcome. A Grade 2 listed building in Arts & Crafts style which obviously limits what can be done with decor etc.. Food excellent with generous portions.I cannot think of anything else to say to satisfy the minimum 200 characters required!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Minehead, Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

This hotel is not listed under restaurants on TripAdvisor which is why I've reviewed it as a hotel. I live locally and my wife and I choose to eat out at the Kildare Lodge, both on our own and especially when we have family or friends staying with us. I will also sometimes call in with my dog of an evening just to have a pint of two in the bar, which is open to non-residents and used by many as their 'local'.

Our most recent visit was very typical. We brought our daughter and her boyfriend, who were visiting us from London, out for a Saturday night meal. The dining room is smart and attractively presented but we always choose to eat in the bar, partly because we enjoy the more informal atmosphere and partly because we often bring our dog who is allowed in the bar but not, of course, in the dining room. The Kildare has a selection of real ales - usually four - which are well-kept and in a range of strengths. These are supplied by the ever-popular Cornish St Austell brewery and never fail to hit the spot! There is also a good range of wines at sensible prices.

Dining is available at lunch-time and again in the evenings from 6:30. The menu, presented on a blackboard in the bar, is extensive, with something for everyone, including a small but seriously good vegetarian selection. There is an emphasis on sauces, and the quality and flavour of the varied dishes is unbeatable. I believe I'm correct in saying that everything - including the ice cream - is home-made except for the scampi which is the only dish bought in ready-prepared. There are too many delicious dishes to single out any special ones - just pick the one you fancy (if you can cope with the choice!) and dive in.

Service is faultless and is often carried out by one or both of the owners themselves. Don't expect fast delivery of your meal to the table - this is a place where your food is prepared carefully and individually - on our recent visit, we waited around twenty minutes for our meals to arrive but this is absolutely fine when you are enjoying a drink in convivial surroundings. Diners who use the dining room usually wait in the bar until called to their tables and this is part of the overall Kildare experience. Chill out, relax and enjoy it - chat to the locals if you're on your own - they're a friendly bunch!

We've also visited for Sunday lunch and, again, this is a homely and comfortable experience, especially in the cold weather when the huge log fire is roaring away in the bar area. Several couples eat regularly at Sunday lunchtime, making it a weekly occasion to look forward to.

I have no idea what it's like to stay as a guest at the Kildare but I can highly recommend the place as a restaurant - I doubt if we'd go anywhere else now when we're looking for that special touch.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Kildare Lodge? Share your experiences!