“Fantastic weekend away!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Northfield Hotel

You added Northfield Hotel to your Saves list
Northfield Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Northfield Road, Minehead TA24 5PU, England (Formerly BEST WESTERN Northfield Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Minehead
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Fantastic weekend away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Having travelled a long way from London......On our arrival we were given a very warm welcome and shown to our room! It was immaculate, huge bed and bathroom! All of which was impeccably clean! We used the swimming pool and hot tub facilities of which were impressive, then we had an afternoon nap in our quiet peaceful room! Followed by a very tasty evening meal served by very helpful attentive staff, then a few drinks in the bar. This hotel has a lovely atmosphere and the grounds are just beautiful! Totally recommend and we can't wait to go back! Thank you for our stay! See you soon

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Have just returned from a weekend here as part of a group of 16, aged between 80 and 2, to celebrate Dad's 80th birthday. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and nothing seemed to be too much trouble when organising a couple of surprises we had up our sleeves for Dad - a special cake celebration at tea time and a slide show with champagne (we brought our own) before dinner. We had our own separate dining room (also much appreciated by the other guests!), where we enjoyed delicious food from very varied menus. As for the hotel, the rooms were cosy, clean and comfortable, most with stunning views over the sea and hills, and the spacious yet cosy lounges and dining room were a delight - loved the seat in the bay window! Don't want to sit inside? Then avail yourself to the hotel's golf club and balls and tee off in the garden! It was a truly memorable stay.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front have better views
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We've just come back from a two day stay at this hotel. We felt the welcome seemed a little frosty. We were advised, by e-mail, that the swimming pool wouldn't be available before 4pm every day,(normally 9am-9pm) due to refurbishment taking place.

When I replied stating that I was disappointed, they did reduce the price slightly. I still expected the hot tub, steam room and gym to be available. Upon arrival we were told that the whole "Dolphin club" was out of use, including changing rooms, and furthermore, the pool was now not available until 5pm.
On a positive note, our room no.33 was lovely, tip top bathroom, clean and comfortable, a massive bed, with a lovely view of the bay. Breakfast was mostly good, fresh fruit salad delicious, bacon good quality, instant coffee,sausages hard and dry and I suspect, warmed up. The whole breakfast experience seemed rushed and unfriendly. A swim at 5 that night was pleasant, A little awkward though walking through the hotel in our dressing gowns!

On returning the next day in time for our swim at 5pm,a note at reception informed that the pool wasn't available until 6pm, too late for us as we were meeting friends that evening, receptionist apologised, I was sad:( The room was the closest one to the refurbishment, something we weren't made aware of when booking or at any time, so we were disturbed by drilling and banging frequently. I do understand that updating needs to be done, but felt we were kept in the dark about the position of our room.Upon arrival it could have been explained to us that we would be right next to the refurb and to let them know if there was a problem. Luckily we didn't need to spend too much time in the room!

It seemed to us that there are certain regulars who return to this hotel who are welcomed, but that children, who mostly eat apart from "regular guests"(we were all children once)or "strangers"are not really the clientele they are encouraging to return. No fears on that score then!!

Upon leaving I explained my concerns about our stay, after being asked if everything was ok, and not one comment was made, I was handed the bill to check. We paid, we left.

Room Tip: front rooms are lovely, but check no work being done near it!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2015

I recently stayed here for one night when on business in Minehead. The hotel was built as a family home in the early 20th century by a tea importer who often entertained maharajas from India. I found this out after the very friendly and helpful receptionist handed me a fascinating book with newspaper cuttings etc about the house's early owners. Interesting stuff!. My single room was basic but clean and comfortable of a bit outdated. My four-course dinner was excellent value for money, no complaints there. However I do have an issue with some of the staff who were rather brusque in their manner and made me feel rather uncomfortable. For example, having eaten just some of my English breakfast I was approached by a waiter seeking to take my plate away - I did point out that I hadn't finished yet. Everything seemed to be a bit of a rush. The hotel is OK but I I'm afraid that I just didn't feel relaxed. Pity.

Room Tip: Book a room at the front overlooking the very well laid out gardens. You might even be able to see t...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2015

lovely location with lovely views and garden. The lounge and restaurant are extremely comfortable and it was lovely to relax in front of he fire. The staff were courteous and efficient and the food delicious.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2015

The friendliness of the staff, the cosy cute room, the gorgeous food. It did'nt matter that the weather wasn't great, (it was February after all!) I had the most fantastic, indulgent, relaxing break all on my own!! The only reason the hotel lost one point from me is that the swimming pool could have been slightly better but to be fair, it is under refurbishment and will be beautiful once finished.Thank you to you all at The Northfield for a wonderful stay

• Stayed February 2015
Exeter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2015

I only stopped by to share lunch with an old friend who was staying at The Northfield, but what a wonderful place. Old fashioned charm, good old fashioned service. It makes one regret the decline of the British Empire!!

I kept looking over my shoulder to see if either Hercule Poirot, or Miss Marple were there !! I wouldn't have been surprised.

A Cesar Salade to die for, or do I mean commit murder for?

Top notch, top class. I take my top hat of to them !!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Northfield Hotel? Share your experiences!