“same mistake twice” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Duke of Wellington

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Minehead
The Duke of Wellington
You added The Duke of Wellington to your Saves list
Wellington Square, Minehead TA24 5NH, England   |
Ranked #27 of 39 Minehead B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“same mistake twice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

It was only after I booked in that I realised I stayed here before and nothing has improved.
The rooms look spacious only because some-one has stolen all the furniture leaving only a bed a doorless wardrobe and a couple of very lonely looking artefacts.
Due to the lack of adequate lighting it is impossible to comment on the rooms cleanliness, quite a clever idea if you think about it, rather than clean the room reduce the lighting too one watt and nobody will know the difference.
Evening meal was an adventure.I should have known it was rather silly to expect them to have rather obscure items on their menu at 7pm ie fish and chips or my second choice of gammon and eggs so I settled for a hot dog and chips.
I am pleased to say one thing the catering staff was not short of was apathy, judging from the sorry state of a long piece of fat masquerading as a sausage encased in piece of cardboard called a bun.
Breakfast was a bigger adventure, after searching for ten minutes I asked where were the cereals. We don't do them was triumphant reply which was furnished by a waiter from the Basil Fawlty school of charm who had very kindly interrupted his early morning chat with his friends.
The final coup de grace was the fact that any sort of breakfast was not included in the room price I declined to pay for what I consider to be half a breakfast and in any case as you are only allowed one hour parking on the road outside[there is no car park] you and your car must leave by 9 or suffer a fine I calculated that going by the performance of the staff I probably would have had most of the grub spread on my dashboard.
Just in case I have the misfortune to end up in Minehead again and find a distinct lack of hotels I eyed up the beach which would offer a better level of accommodation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Duke Wellington H, Hotel Team Leader at The Duke of Wellington, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Madam,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Duke of Wellington, we are dealing with the issues that have been stated with yourselves, we are very sorry that you were awaken by the cleaners in the morning but we are unable to change the time of the cleaners coming in to clean the pub.
We hope to see you in the near future where we can reassure you that we have rectified the issues stated.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Lydd, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Lady of reception was brilliant! Room was clean but slightly old fashioned. Wi-Fi was not accessible from room and windows are hard to open also the curtains were not suitable and had street lighting and morning day light shinning from the gaps. Not a suitable hotel for a business trip. Needed more plug sockets as there are only two. Cleaners and a hover woke me up at 5 in the morning. Food was ok, staff at bar were friendly. Although staff always seamed to crowd around reception and made walking past a little awkward. Good location. Value for money.

• Stayed April 2013
Duke Wellington H, hotel team leader at The Duke of Wellington, responded to this review, May 13, 2013

south wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

stayed here for two nights. We enjoyed our stay. The hotel was in good location for what we needed. The room was clean and spacious although obviously old fashioned. The staff were friendly and helpful. We asked to be placed on the quieter side of the building as there is a night club the other side. We were not bothered with noise at all. The food is of course Wetherspoons menu, which was fine. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Duke Wellington H, Hotel Night Manager at The Duke of Wellington, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and you were happy with the room allocation. Our aim is to be as helpful as possible and for your stay to be the best possible. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Richard
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel really impresses, from the size of the rooms ( have stayed here twice before in different rooms) to the cleanliness. Even though the rooms are above a busy pub, the noise levels are not intrusive.
Prime location at top end of the shopping streets. Lovely walk down to the sea.
Staff are polite and friendly, food is your typical wetherspoons fare. Just popping downstairs for a full hearty breakfast - bonus

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Duke Wellington H, hotel team leader at The Duke of Wellington, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Duke of Wellington, we do try and place people in the largest rooms first then go down in size also when we do this we place people furthest away from the nightclub. If you ever go into a room that you like please let us know and we will try our best to place you in this room on your return.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on 31/3/13. Being a Sunday I assumed it would be lovely and peaceful! Oh how wrong I could be! The noise that was coming from The corridor was horrendous! It can only be described as banging metal this went on from 1am til gone 5am! Finally I thought we could get a few hours sleep but I was wrong again! The cleaners most of clocked on as they were having a gossip near our room! I heard every single corner they vacuumed as they made so much noise! And don't get me started on the beds! I have slept on more comfortable floors! I hate moaning but I really felt I had no choice! For £55 I expected it to be a nice stay but I was sorely disappointed. I will never stay in a wetherspoons hotel again!!

• Stayed March 2013
Duke Wellington H, Hotel Team Leader at The Duke of Wellington, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Madam,

We are very sorry that your stay with us was not the greatest you have been too, we would like to asure that we try to keep the noise to a minium for all our residents.

Please accept our appoligies and we hope that you will come back and we can restore your faith in staying in a wetherspoon hotel.

Maidehead UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here for one night only. The single room was more than adequate. The bedding was clean and the decor looked fresh and clean. Bathroom was clean and the shower was powerful - not something you get in every hotel. Meals were not included, but the menu was varied enough to suit anyone's taste and there were some good deals on some of the selections. Breakfast was excellent both for value and quantity. Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is well placed in the centre of Minehead both for shops and entertainment. Just two criticisms - there is a stair lift for the elderly or infirm but no lift. My daughter had to lug a pushchair up to the second floor and the company are obviously trying to save money on electricity as the lighting all through the hotel and restaurant was very dim. All in all a comfortable stay and good value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front or over the bar may be noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I'm afraid all our family rooms are placed on the second floor and the lighting is a standard bulb throughout the pub/hotel.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night with our 4 children,ages(4,9,12,15) my in-laws and friends, what can I say it's a pub so expect noise (if you stay on a friday & saturday),but we stayed on a sunday night so it was quieter. The rooms are very spacious,clean and tidy and warm and they give you plenty of towels,toilet roll and shower gel. This is our 2nd stay here and we all love it...CHEAP FOOD,CHEAP DRINK, NICE ROOMS...What more can you ask for. We always stay the night before our holiday,which starts in butlins(on monday) as it takes away alot of stress driving down on the monday morning and also beats the traffic. We told our friends about it and they stayed the night before as well and they said it was the best thing they have ever done as butlin's is only a stone throw away. On the sunday night we all decided to have a chinese as they had stopped cooking, and they were very helpful in giving my Husband plates,knives and forks so we could dish out the food to everyone in our room which we really appreciated. We booked 2 family rooms(2 adults&2 children) and we had 2 double beds in our room and it was still very spacious. The kids loved staying at wetherspoons as they could order any food when they wanted it (including dessert) the drinks were very cheap for them as well. (Alot cheaper than butlins). We also called up here on the wednesday afternoon for lunch.(best place to go for food and drink in minehead)if you want to watch your pennies... All I can say is,it's up to you if you want to listen to other negative reviews but I have stayed here twice already and I have found it a very nice place, very friendly staff,clean, tidy and cheap. We always make our own fun. THANKYOU WETHERSPOON'S FOR LOVELY FOOD AND A LOVELY COMFORTABLE STAY...WE WILL DEFINATELY BE BACK THIS YEAR IN THE SUMMER. :)

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor room 205(family room 2+2) the first time,and then room 202(family room 2...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with and a regular to our hotel.

We look forward to your return with us in the summer.

Regards

Been to The Duke of Wellington? Share your experiences!