“trip to the races and stay for new years eve” 4 of 5 stars

The Bacon Arms
10 Oxford Street, Newbury RG14 1JB, England   |
Ranked #17 of 19 Newbury B&B and Inns
Swansea Bay, United Kingdom
“trip to the races and stay for new years eve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

a very olde worlde pub,staff very friendly and attentive,had a bar meal night we arrived very tasty and not too expensive.room was lovely,creaky floor boards,uneven floors and walls all added to the charm.Bathroom was beautiful looked new,bed very comfortable.Plenty of free parking at rear of hotel,the pub is just off the main street of the town and a few minutes walking distance from lovely shops and the market place which was good for the pubs at night.We also had breakfast included in the price which was very good with quite a bit of choice.would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Newport Gwent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Arrrived at lovely lloking old oub with good parking to the rear. Led upstairs to a top floor room with really quaint uneven floors which took a bit of getting used to. Had an evening meal but was typical pub grub but cinvenient. Bed and cleanlieness good, breakfast was OK. Staff all lovely, attentive and chatty. Would stay again for price. Little bit noisy as our room was on the main road

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Deal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Really good value old coaching inn. The room was great and the staff could'nt have been more helpful. Breakfast excellent and the bill was less than i thought it would be, thanks

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We spent two mid-week nights in October 2011.
1st plus point was ample off road free parking in a very busy town centre.
The inn is on the edge of the town centre and apart fron traffic noise, which is a given in a town, the street is not full of pubs and shops.
The staff were very accomodating and nothing was a chore.
The room was huge as was the double bed, wardrobe and draw was endless, very clean with a very big 'spa bath' even the T.V. worked.
Breakfast was more than satifactory and cooked to order.
We did not dine here as we had a previous agenda.
I thought value for money was very good and will stay there again on future trips to Newbury

Room Tip: Ask for room 3
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Sandwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

I've been working in Newbury recently so booked three nights at this hotel, whilst their special offer of 'buy one night at the weekend get a weekday night free was on.'

Unfortunately it turned out my booking hadn't been dealt with properly, so on arrival my dietary requirements hadn't been catered for (I only asked for some soya milk which seemed to be a very big inconvenience for the substitute manager) and after the second night I had a phone call whilst I was at work asking me why I hadn't checked out yet. To begin with the person in charge was very stressed as it turned out they had only booked me in for two nights and someone else was due to have my room on the third night, this was a bit of a worry as I was at work and couldn't do anything about it.

Fortunately the matter was resolved and the poor man who was supposed to have my room got moved to another hotel. Phew, I thought, until I got back to my hotel room.

On opening the door my heart sank. Everything of mine had been cleared out of the drawers, wardrobe, bathroom etc and left in a big messy heap. Work clothes were creased, and a wet flannel was left on some paperwork I was due to post that afternoon.

I asked to speak to the manager, and spoke to the substitute manager who at first seemed a bit annoyed that I was being awkward again (I had previously asked for some soya milk and for the heating in my room to be switched on.)

When I explained everything, from the messed up booking and showed her how her cleaner had treated my things she was very apologetic, and said that when they couldn't get in touch with me at first, the cleaner had started to bag up my things. I was a bit puzzled as to why they hadn't waited to speak to me, or put my things away again, when they realised it was their mistake and I would be coming back.

The last breakfast I had there, the lady in charge had gone to get me some soya milk which was kind of her, but a bit late. She also tried to convince me to stay there again.

I think the normal manager was away during my stay, and I have to say most of the other staff were very friendly, especially someone called Ben who I met during my stay who was always very professional and genuinely apologetic about my experience (promotion perhaps?)

I was really disappointed with my stay, because it became more stressful than it needed to be. The room was fine for my needs and the location was great. If my booking had been managed better, I probably would have stayed for every business trip I have planned this year. Unfortunately, I don't want to risk having another stressful experience at this hotel, so I'll probably find somewhere else to stay next time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

This was one of the best meals out I've ever had. I live local & was looking for a venue for a few work friends to have a Christmas meal together. Short notice wasn't a problem as it was only a table for 11, although 2 couldn't make it because of the poor weather. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the venue, the service & the quality of the three course meal. will definitely be holding the next Christmas Party there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
welshman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

Needs updating,but it's in a good place to visit Berkshire excellent deal for 2 nights,Marstons pubs are fine to stay in

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bacon Arms? Share your experiences!