“LOVED IT!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 19 Newbury B&B and Inns
Kruibeke, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
“LOVED IT!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

When we arrived at the bunk inn it seemed small but when we walked into the bar and afterwards our room we were surprised to see that it was quite spacious. The room was super cosy, the staff was friendly, the breakfast was delicous, the location was beautiful, the bed was heavenly,. . . The only thing that may have been a downside was that you could hear people walking down the hall. We would definitly come back.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I went to this establishment Thursday evening (27 Nov 14).
We had a table booked there to entertain some important influential people to our organisation.
Upon entry we well greeted by the hosts and as our table was not quite ready. We waited at the bar which gave me time to absorb the atmosphere.
The interior in the restaurant is wooden mixed with warm colours. There were a good mixture of families, travelers and locals with pets. If you are a family/dog lover. This would be for you.
However It does not feel very spacious and if your pet is not very sociable you may need to find a quiet corner.
Food: I had starter. Winter root vegetable ‘bubble & squeak’ (there was some more stuff written in the title) and my main was a Mushroom Risotto. I loved my starter! Fantastic combinations of flavours & textures. My main.... Ok. My colleagues choices looked very well presented and tasted good. All parties were impressed by their choices. I just wished there was a "Halal" Choice for me. But as vegetarian dinner overall excellent experience.
Service: Consistently outstanding from the bar to the table and finally leaving the establishment.
Finally. Apologies for: Dog trying to soil at the bar. My colleague who lent on the edge of a table and broke it. Finally staying way over the closing time. Rarely I give 5 stars on Tripadvisor. But you've earned It!

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

Really enjoyed our two nights near Newbury - the Bunk Inn is a welcome addition to the local hospitality industry. It's tucked away in a quiet village outside of Newbury and was just perfect for us to visit Newbury Racecourse (about 5 miles away).

I don't know how long this place has been open, but our room was spacious, modern and comfortable. But I had to keep checking myself when comparing the offering at the Bunk Inn vs other Hotels we stay at. By definition an Inn is a "house providing accommodation, food, and drink, especially for travellers"...so this place ticks all of those boxes, but should I expect hotel-service standards? The Bunk Inn is good value for the accommodation it offers, so I wouldn't want them hiking up prices for added extras when perhaps it's just a case of managing expectations?

There are lots of little things that individually are not a problem, but the owners perhaps need to pay attention to these? For example in our room there was tea & coffee facilities which we quickly tucked into, including the packet of biscuits. I then settled down to read the 'welcome pack'(a 1-page letter from the owners) and read about the delicious biscuits the chef makes which are ideal for a midnight feast....ohhh yummy, perhaps they'll appear when the room is turned down for the night?? Needless to say they didn't appear and it seems management have changed their minds and give 2-biscuit pre-packs instead! This is the little detail kinda thing I'm talking about. It doesn't really matter what's being served as long as expectations are managed....

The Inn offers free wi-fi, but the reality we experienced was that the signal is weak and our mobiles didn't work in the room or bars either. So with no telephones in the room, you need to be prepared to go down to the bar and ask for anything you need.

Realising that this is a laid-back Inn (there isn't a reception or anything stuffy and formal), the bar staff are also those who help with room queries and such like. So after dinner I asked the bar guy if there were any hair dryers I could borrow since there wasn't one provided in the room. He attentively went looking through the housekeeping cupboards and couldn't find one, but assured me there were dryers in the house and one would be found in the morning....I arrived at breakfast with wet hair and asked again about a hairdryer, but nothing happened! Luckily I wasn't dressing to impress and so toussled 'natural' hair wasn't an issue.

We stayed over on a Friday and Saturday night and were surprised that the housekeeping service seemed little more than a cats lick - pulling the duvet back on the bed and replacing towels, cups, water etc. My makeup spills remained on the basin and the empty loo roll on the holder! Is this just because it's the weekend? Perhaps there should be reduced prices for a reduced service?

My breakfast was an experience of two extremes - the first morning I had the most delicious cooked English breakfast imaginable - wonderful local sausages, crispy (but not burnt) bacon and creamy scrambled eggs served with fresh coffee and hot toast. I woke up thinking abut this on Sunday morning and couldn't wait to order the same....only to be given a plate of eggs that were a cross between scrambled and omelette, toast that was burned and coffee that was stewed. i left the eggs and asked for a fresh cup of Americano coffee, only to be told that was what I'd been served! And even explaining that it didn't taste nice, didn't deliver a fresh cuppa.....these things happen! And thankfully such an awesomly good breakfast on the first morning means my desire to return has not diminished!

So as my review title suggests, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay - the bed was comfortable and the linen wonderfully soft, plenty of fluffy towels and a great dining room. But my message to the owners would be not to become complacent with continual rave reviews when there are details that need attending to! You might be the best in the area, but we want you to retain this crown!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

Went to The Bunk Inn for Sunday lunch. We tend to visit every 3-4 months and the food is very good quality, well presented and the service is very good.

Plenty of seating areas depending on whether you want to eat in the bar area, main restaurant or offshoot areas.

Sunday lunch is an absolute winner, and whilst we've had their other menu offerings this is our pick of the bunch. Located with good parking if a touch hard to find for the uninitiated, but strongly implore you take the time to hunt this down if you're local to the Newbury / West Berkshire area. Very good indeed.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014

We stayed at The Bunk Inn as part of a day at the races and a trip to Newbury. The staff were very accommodating and friendly and definitely made the stay a pleasant one. We ate in the bar which had a lovely rustic feel and a roaring fire before we went and the food was of good quality and had good flavour - I had muscles and my partner had a burger. Muscles were good and fresh, the burger meat was good quality but the additional cheese added to the burger made it very salty. On booking the hotel it's described as a boutique hotel so when we were shown to the room I was a little bit disappointed at how basic it was. It was clean and well decorated but there was nothing individual about it and it was much smaller than the pictures online led me to think the rooms were. The honesty bar contained a bottle of both red and white wine but unfortunately there was no way of chilling the white wine even if we had decided we wanted to make the most of this. In the morning the room was very noisy and you could very clearly hear the people in the room above us getting up/moving around/showering etc which was not what I was expecting at all. All in all, a good restaurant (however pretty expensive for what it had to offer) and bar with fantastic staff, room was clean, well decorated and simple, however if I was staying near Newbury again I'd probably try somewhere different and maybe a closer to Newbury town centre - this is a good 10/15 minute drive out of town.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed on business, Beer, bed and breakfast could not be done better. Every sole was perfect. Very nice dinner menu. The waitress took pride in explaining each menu item and its local heritage. Great fun. My room presented as above standard compared to most with a forceful/hot shower, desk and 50% more space than you would usually get.

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

I stayed here with some friends for just one evening. I was really impressed with my room and the overall decor of the place. Staff were incredibly friendly, very helpful and made us all most welcome. We also enjoyed a delicious dinner that evening - food was excellent. I would love to return when next in the area

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Bunk Inn? Share your experiences!