“Super staff and nice setting” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London Road, Newbury RG14 2BY, England   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Newbury
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Super staff and nice setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as a last minute night on a business trip. Front desk staff could not have been more helpful. Highly recommend as a nice place to stay. Nice rooms and super quiet setting that we enjoyed.

• Stayed August 2012
Jamie M, General Manager at Newbury Manor Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear lawguy22

Thank you for your recent review and your kind comments which I have passed on to the team. I do hope I can personally welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Jamie McDonald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Took my wife away for the weekend as it was our anniversary. The staff here did all that they possibly could to make it special for us both. Friendly receptionist checked us into our room, our bags were kindly taken up to our room for us. We checked into the 'Penthouse' suite, which was a nice spacious & clean room. I was shocked to read bad comments about this room on Trip Advisor as we could not fault it.

The first afternoon we opted for afternoon tea which they serve, fantastic home-made scones and cake. We were sat out on the decking by the restaurant which is right next to a river. Our meal in the evening was outstanding, they even went to the extent of giving us both a glass of champagne each complimentary as it was our anniversary, and even brought a plate out at the end of the meal with 'Happy Anniversary' written on in chocolate. Breakfast the following mornings were very good, nice continental buffet selection and a good selection of cooked breakfasts available.

If you are looking for a hotel in Newbury for a night whether it's on business or pleasure, I cannot recommend this place enough. All in all - brilliant location, lovely rooms, fantastic scenery looking out onto gardens & river, and very nice staff. I cannot wait to return!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Steve P

Firstly let me congratulate you on your recent anniversary. Thank you for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Shrewsbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed here a couple of months ago when I went to Newbury Races. This time I had to visit Newbury on business so checked into the Newbury Manor again. As before, pleasant setting overlooking the river, free wifi, good selection of food for the corporate traveller, nice to have the choice of both the ala carte and bar menu in the evening. Staff polite and room had home made biscuits and tea and coffee. Freeview was a nice touch. Good location as I could walk to my meeting at Newbury Business Park and there is a pub opposite the hotel where I went for a few pints after dinner.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Andy7479

Thank you for your review. It is always good to hear from returning guests and I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us again.

Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel for one simple reason - the mattress had the biggest wee stains, not one but two. We turned the mattress over and this had gone right through. We had been booked into this hotel by another as there was a slight (in comparison) problem with the room we originally had and they hadn't any rooms left to offer. We were booked into the Penthouse suite. At first glance the room was tired and dated but looked clean. As I threw the duvet back to air the bed I saw the sheet looked rather thin and pulled back the corner to see that there was no mattress protector of any sort on the mattress and then discovered the mess. We decided to leave at that point. I wrote to complain and was offered a 'free upgrade' but as I pointed out it would take more than that to get us back there. The only positive was that the receptionist was very friendly. This was our first night away on our own as a couple in 5 years! We stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Jamie M, General Manager at Newbury Manor Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear src082012

Thank you for your review. As previously stated in my email to you back in May we rectified the problem by throwing the mattress away and checking all other beds ensuring all had protectors on them. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with us and am sorry that you were unable to take up my offer.

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I chose this hotel being in my original home town having moved to Australia 10 years ago and returning as a visitor with my Australian partner. I saw this as a convenient boutique type hotel which sounded appealing in their desription.

Firstly the standrad of the room was not too bad apart from there being no fridge and it having an actual old fashioned key where you had to almost bend double to get down to it. Strange in this day and age.

On arriving having booked and confirmed the booking on www.booking.com we were informed we had arrived on the wrong day. The abrupt receptionist huffed and puffed for a good 5 miniutes questioning the written confirmation and blaming the website for getting it wrong. Eventually another member of staff emerged from the back office where they all seemed to hide, thus avoiding providing any service of any kind, to say she would have to amend the booking and we would have to wait. We did this and were given a key. No assistance was offered with our luggage or any welcome of any kind. No information was volunteered as to where breakfast was or the location of the bar etc.

Breakfast was provided in a deserted riverside restaurant with dead leaves, dust and dirt provided on a carpet that could never meet health and safety regulations. There was old grime on the paintwork and windows. The table service provided was friendly though and I might add the only friendly interraction we experienced the two days we spent here.

On returning to our room we found a mobile phone, presumably left by a staff member. On returning it to reception I waited for 7 minutes before one of the 5 lazy reception staff bothered to come out from their hideaway to see what I wanted. When I explained they asked me if I was sure the phone wasnt mine! Then the staff member shrugged her shoulders and I left it with her.

On the second night we decided to have a drink at the bar at around 10.30pm. There were no staff or residents there. We waited for a while and a barman came out from somewhere and asked if he could help. I asked for a glass of chardonnay and he said there wasnt any. I then had to ask what he did have and he looked confused and started moving a couple of bottles around in the fridge in front of him. I noticed rubblish on the side of the bar and dirty glasses. It wasn't as though they were busy. Having got our drinks the barman wandered off and we sat in the most depressing bar I have ever been in. No windows, harsh lighting and no music. My chair was broken and as there was no one to tell we decided to go back to our room with the drinks.

As you can probably tell we are not recommending this place very highly. Wish we had booked a place which gave a hoot about their guests.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DominicL

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. I apologise for your experience and have taken this up with the individuals involved.

I can assure you that we do care about our customers and can only apologise for the experience you had.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed here for a business trip last week, and contrary to the grand name, it was very tired and in need of TLC. Staff were friendly and professional. The bedrooms were cramped and full of furniture, the style was neither old world or new world but confused world.
We ate in the restaurant in the evening, and it was a pleasant experience but did not leave me with a WOW about re-visiting or eating there. The menu was limited and personally I thought slightly pretenious, but the soup was excellent.
Conference facilities were average, again it was the staff that made the experience
On a positive note, everywhere we were the staff were attentive and always around to cater to guest's wants/wishes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear AlbaChiara67

Thank you for your review. It is pleasing to read your comments regarding the staff in the hotel. We are very much trying as a team to put some extra TLC back into the building and have recently employed a painting and decorating team to help us with this. I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future to see much improvement.

Wroclaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

If you are bored, staying in a modern metal-glass skyscrapers or you would like to find out how it was living in England, being rich, 100 years ago or so, this is a place for you.

Hotel is situated in an old manor...with all its (in)conveniences.

Rooms are very cramped and furnished in an old style. Unfrotuantely there is also no air-conditioning in the rooms. Bathroom is modestly equipped.

However it has, no doubt, an unforgettable atmosphere.

I admired beautiful park area (with many old trees), a restaurant (with a decent food served at not so decent price) located next to small a weir with memorable view at surrounding creek.

Staff is friendly and polite.

Bear in mind that this place is only for epicures enamored in archtecture and history.

If you decide to stay, you won't be disappointed...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear wodzik

Thank you for your kind words and photographs. I do hope you get chance to return to us in the near future.

Jamie McDonald

Been to Newbury Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!