“charge for everything” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Donnington Valley

You added Donnington Valley to your Saves list
Donnington Valley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Old Oxford Road | Donnington, Newbury RG14 3AG, England   |
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Newbury
verwood
“charge for everything”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had booked a massage went to change in the spa and asked for a robe and was told the charge was £5 for half an hour,the reception was across the golf course so you need a buggy £4 each but its only one way because they have no lights, so you have to get a taxi back! on leaving I asked if we could keep the room for another half hour,yes but there will be a charge ,and on paying the bill they tried to charge a different rate that had been agreed these hotel owners should go to the US and find out about service and how to get your customers to return ,my wife wanted to go back for a SPA trip no chance!

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear newfriendsVerwood,

Thank you for your feedback and I am very sorry that you feel that we are trying to charge for extras everywhere. There would appear to be some miscommunication regarding these issues and I am very sorry if the wrong information was given to you by my staff. Currently our classic bedrooms do not included robes but these are available to hire for the duration of your stay at £3.00 per person. We do offer a buggy service to the golf club which is charged at £4.00 per person and also includes a drink at our club house, unfortunately the buggy does not have lights so is unable to run when it gets dark; for those guests who are returning from golf after dark we offer this service at just £2.00 one way. Finally it is normal hotel procedure to charge for late check outs however we do encourage our reception team to be as flexible as possible with this especially when only for a small request, I apologise if they were a little rigid in sticking with policy and did not show our normal flexibility.

I do hope you decide to try us again and if you do then please do contact me directly.

Best wishes,

Sally Russell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed at the Donnington Valley a few weekends ago on an overnight stay which included Sunday lunch. The hotel is lovely and clean and has a warm atmosphere. The stay was good value for money and Sunday lunch was very good. The only thing that let the stay down was the breakfast. Buffet style cooked breakfast which was dripping in fat and pretty tasteless, with only the choice of a fried egg. Wish I had chosen a made to order choice off the menu!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gemma B,

Thank you for taking the time to review Donnington Valley and I am delighted that overall you had an enjoyable break with us. I appreciate your feedback on breakfast and am happy to say that we have recently made a few tweaks to the offerings so I do hope it will be 5 out of 5 on your next visit!

Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I attended a training course here yesterday which had a nice airy room with views of the golf course, refreshments were frequent, prompt and very efficient.

We had a buffet lunch on the mezzanine floor above the bar, this was delicious selection of sandwiches and hot savoury pastries and small cheese cakes for those that had the room and wanted to risk falling asleep in the afternoon.

We didn't finish our day until 7pm!! a long day and we were served some alcoholic refreshment to finish off the day.

We had an evening meal in the restaurant which was a set menu and again it was super and the team serving the table couldn't do enough for us so all round a great day.

The room was comfortable and clean but if picky it was a little to warm for my liking even with the air con on.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ticker1962,

Thanks for taking the time to post your super review, we really do aim to offer a relaxing and enjoyable environment for those having to work whilst with us.

I hope next time you visit you will be have a little more time to enjoy all of the facilites.

Caterham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Having never been to this hotel before very surprised at the quality of the rooms and the facilities.
We had a bedroom on the ground floor, Good size,very clean and a comfortable bed. The bathroom had bath with seperate shower.
The men played golf on the ajoining course whilst the women spent most of the time in spa.
Good wine list but a little disapointed with sirloin steak on the small side, chese board.good.
Staff were all very helpful
We will all certainly be back again

Room Tip: Had a room on the ground floor facing the golf course. You actually cant see the course from the gou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Treborsille,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review and I am pleased to hear that rooms, spa and golf facilities were enjoyed and that you will be back!

Please do feel free to contact me directly when you are next looking at planning a visit.

Best wishes,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were lovely and spacious; great wine list and truly deserves the award it's won. Stay at this hotel once or twice a year and always recommend to friends... Not disappointed! That well known phrase says it all...I'll be back.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Bequila,

Once again, thank you very much for your lovely review. I am a very big fan of our wine list and completely agree that it truly does deserve all of its praise.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Booked a spa day through Lastminute.com- very reasonable deal, including one treatment and a light lunch.

The pool area was clean and quiet, although there were a few random ants! The staff were quick to try to deal with them.

We ordered poolside drinks - these were very nice, although did take an age to arrive!

The spa was lovely! I could spend all day in the relaxation room! I had a facial, which I'd certainly have again. Pure heaven!

Lunch was basic, but fine. We had sandwiches served with crisps and a drink.

The sauna and steam room were lovely and quiet.
All in all a very relaxing, enjoyable break!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Rastamouse,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your day with us and had the chance to experience our wonderful spa, relaxed is exactly the way you are supposed to leave!

Newbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at Donnington last night. Reputedly a 4 star establishment, obviously down to its facilities (spa and golf course) but I can tell you NOT its food! I dont expect a cold buffet breakfast to be offered to me when staying in a hotel of this standard! The restaurant staff are very pleasant, in particular one member of the waitressing staff with a Liverpool accent (all the other staff who are not front of house are foreign) who was interested in my opinion of the breakfast and said she would report my disappointment back to the chef. The sausage was so damn hard it flew off my plate. The bacon ... well it was like trying to cut through a piece of cardboard. The tomatoes were mush. And the fried egg (I prefer poached and why can't I have poached in a 4 star hotel) was freezing and undercooked. I managed to spot one that had been basted with oil slightly on the top so as to not eat raw egg white. Or I could of course had the grey looking scrambled egg that looked like it had been made 3 hours earlier.

Poor perfomance Donnington. Smarten up your act in the kitchen! And get some local preserves in for breakfast.

To my disgust, when I mentioned the very poor breakfast experience to the hotel reception staff, nobody offered to knock the cost off my bill and considering Im a Gold Member of the spa I'm pretty disappointed. I wont be staying with you again!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Lisa S,

This is very disappointing feedback indeed especially from a Gold Member of our spa. I would very much welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding the issues you have had with breakfast and so will be in touch shortly.

Just to clarify for other readers the hotel not only offers a breakfast buffet but also a breakfast menu which does contain poached eggs as well as boiled eggs, omlettes, eggs benedict, eggs florentine, waffles and a host of other items so I am very suprised to hear that poached eggs were not available.

Kind regards

Hotel Manager

Been to Donnington Valley? Share your experiences!