“A good place for a get together” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Newbury
Sittingbourne, England, United Kingdom
“A good place for a get together”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

We met up with 3 other couples for a weekend get together. This was our second visit. We had purchased one of the weekend deals which included 2 nights, breakfast and dinner on the first night for two people all for around £170 which was good value. The lounge/bar area is an ideal meeting place although drinks are expensive £8 for a glass of wine! (Hotel prices!). They gave us a large round table which was perfect for dinner/ breakfast socialising. The food was very good and replaced at breakfast frequently. The rooms are a little tired but overall had a great weekend for the money. Would go back.

• Stayed October 2013
CMansford, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Newbury Centre, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the service you received. I have passed on your kind comments to the Head Chef and other heads of departments. Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Hilton Newbury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I found this Hilton hotel not upto the standards i am used at other Hiltons i have visited in the UK.
There was not any hand soap in the bathroom no robes or slippers. Filled in holes in bathroom door and scuffs on the bath panels making the standards poor. Friends in another room did not have hot water and just the 1 set of robes.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
CMansford, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Newbury Centre, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Donna,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on trip advisor. I am sorry that on this occasion Hilton did not meet your expectations. Hilton Newbury is currently in the process of refurbishment; however this will take some time. The management welcome your feedback and would like to thank you for your comments.

We hope to see you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

come on Hilton, where is your quality control? don't you care about what you have become? This was worse than a Premier Inn - in fact I should really say 'not as good' since the Premier Inns are always clean and efficient, if a little boring. The Hilton was tired, and badly run. The first room I was given smelt of cigarette smoke (surely the cleaners must have smelled it? Did they think that was good enough?) so they gave me another room, which had towels in the bath, opened soap, bed didn't look made - it had clearly not been made up. So, do the cleaners only do the rooms which are sold? How do they know? Or do they miss rooms, randomly? Where is management in all this. Third room was fine, though slight air con noise all night. And £15 for wifi in my room, you must be joking! It should be free!

Breakfast - poor. Cold tinned mushrooms, orange juice made from diluted syrup, green bananas, and yesterday's pastries like bits of tough carpet. And that cost me £15!

Listed as one of the worst hotels in Newbury and that's true. If I was Hilton corporate head office I'd read trip adviser, or maybe stay in my own hotels, and I'd be embarrassed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review on trip advisor. We are sorry you did not find your stay comfortable and encountered problems with the room you were allocated. I have shared your review with the management at the hotel for all of your comments to be taken into consideration and have also passed on your comments with regards to the breakfast service to the Head Chef. The hotel has just recently become a fully non smoking hotel and therefore has an ongoing cleaning plan. In regards to the internet, yes in the room it is chargeable at £14.99 for 24 hours access; however we do also offer free Wi-Fi in the lobby and reception area.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Management Team at Hilton Newbury
oxfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

A group of us went to the Hotel for New Years Eve, the rooms we were given were very in need of refurbishment, ours smelt so bad we asked to be moved, in fairness to the Hotel this was done immediately, in fact we were upgraded to a very pleasant room which begs the question why these rooms are left empty!
Our friend's toilet gave up the will to live about 8.00pm! They were also allocated another room!
My Husband sent his main meal back twice as it was stone cold and eventually was given a glass of wine to make up for it....still no main meal though!
The Disco was great and we did have a great time, shame about the rooms really.
All the Staff were very kind and were helpful, breakfast was delicious!
The Rooms we were given are in desperate need of refurbishment, we stayed here about 3 years ago with no problems.... the Hotel needs work done to it!

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room that has been refurbished.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
CMansford, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Newbury Centre, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Firstly, Happy New Year and thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our New Years Eve party.

I am sorry that the first room you were allocated was not to your satisfaction along with another members of your party. We currently have 48 refurbished rooms at the hotel and I am pleased to hear that you did receive one of these after reporting the issues with reception, which I hope made your stay more comfortable and relaxing. We hope to complete the remaining rooms in the near future following Hilton Newbury’s refurbishment plan.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Dusseldorf, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately I have had the misfortune of staying in this hotel a couple of times for work. I dread having to stay in Hilton newbury centre and it makes my work trips worse that they should be. I only go when other options in the area are unavailable.

Firstly, the hotel looks like it hasn't seen a lick of paint since circa 1985. The Hilton chain are obviously not investing in the place and it looks jaded and in need of repair. There is an awful stench of disgusting air freshner in the hotel which is overwhelming, even in the bedrooms.

Secondly, the service is terribly poor. Having complained about my room, I was promptly told that they were totally full up and had no other options available. 5 mins later when I said I would shorten my stay to 1 night instead of 3 an upgrade to a newer room magically materialised.

The food is absolutely awful. I ordered a simple salad, one that I have also ordered recently at another Hilton in the UK. The difference was huge. The salad was limp and clearly days old. There were no tomatoes as per the description and the sweet potato and chicken (which i added) were both poorly cooked in too much butter. At breakfast I asked if it was possible to order poached eggs. I was told no, that only what was already in the buffet was available, but 5 mins later people at a table near me got fried eggs. I am not sure why I wasn't accommodated on my egg request.

The TV was very dodgy and kept changing channels of its own accord, the room was freezing cold and the heating temperamental.

Lack of gym facilities, lack of in room mini bar with cold drinks and over priced WiFi complete what is an absolute shambles of a hotel.

Hopefully I never ever have to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and left feeling unsatisfied. The hotel is currently in progress of a refurbishment plan which we hope to start in the near future.

I have spoken with the heads of departments in regards to the issues you had during your stay and they have confirmed that we do offer poached eggs on request and they are made fresh to order. I am sorry that you were not made aware of this at the time.

We no longer provide mini bars in our bedrooms; however these are available on request at the hotel or prior to arrival. Internet is chargeable in all bedrooms and we offer complimentary Wi-Fi access in the lobby and restaurant and reception area.

I do hope you consider returning in the future, once again thank you for your comments.

middlebrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

really disapointed with this hotel, awful beds broke kettle dodgy tv, i booked the dining package to be told the resturant is closed and to have room service instead. most the staff look miserable execpt for the really nice check in lad. overall not the best stay for a hilton

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Liam,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Newbury and hope that you consider staying with us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Room 238 needs a new bed! In addition a carpet clean and a coat of paint. More attention was needed to the making of the bed and customer service was lacklustre, apart from one man who was friendly and courteous.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

CMansford, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Newbury Centre, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Maggie

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and bringing to our attention the concerns you had during your stay. I have spoken with our housekeeping manager who has taken your comments into consideration. We value our guest’s feedback and would like to thank you for your comments. I apologise that the room was not to your satisfaction.

Hilton Newbury

Been to Hilton Newbury Centre? Share your experiences!