“Mediocre Mercure” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Newbury
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Mediocre Mercure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is our 6th visit to Elcot Park, the first time since it is part of the Mercure chain. We love the hotel itself - as previously wriiten a beautiful Georgian property with an open fire in the winter, large comfortable beds, friendly staff and a pool/jacuzi/steam room- reasons we return. Unfortunately this last visit was very dissappointing. Things such as no water in the room, Toiletries to a bear minimum. The room was in need of updating - the net cutains had holes in them. The pool was closed until 11am Sat due to a photo shoot. This was for a photographic company taking photos of young children. After breakfast it was always lovely to sit and read for an hour but the room was made into a makeshift creche. We had to take refuge in our room. The pool opening times had also been changed. In the past I was able to go for a swim Saturday and Sunday morning before breakfast. This was now not possible. I only managed to have a short swim on the afternoon of arrival (Friday). The meal that my partner ordered was not as mentioned in the menu. He should have had a creamy peppercorn sauce. It arrived with a tomato sauce - tomato is ine food my partner is unable to eat due to digestive problems. No advance warning was given to us that this was the replacement, or apology made. I hate to have to moan but we will be looking for another place to stay next time

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tom K, Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Helen,
Thank you for your comments and please accept my apologies for the childrens photo shoot taking up swimming time and indeed parts of the lounge. We have extended the opening hours of the leisure club to suit all guests.The dish should have been served with the right sauces and I will take this up with the serving staff. There are some changes here and we do hope you will try us again so we can meet your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Amersham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I've stayed here 3 times on business. The Newbury Manor is far superior, despite its flaws.

I have to agree with the many reviews already on here. In 2012 there are certain basic standards which its not unreasonable to expect in any hotel property, in this case a country house hotel which is operated and managed by the Mercure chain.

So if we acknowledge the location and the heritage of the building we are left with the physical experience of staying here.

The good points:

• Some of the staff are friendly and helpful, others are not.
• Parking is easy and there's lots of space
• Rooms are large
• Public rooms are large and there are many nice places to relax

The not-so-good points:

• Booking chaos - on more than one occasion I've arrived to be met with a black stare and a "not on my list" response. When checking with my client it appears that this was the hotel's error, twice. My advice is phone ahead the day before and double-check.
• Bedroom decor is tired and old-fashioned.
• Wi-fi poor/non-existent free coverage and expensive alternative - why?
• Breakfast buffet - in a 4* hotel?!!
• Poorly trained staff who don't know their products; one morning I asked for peppermint tea, I was bought regular tea with the excuse that 'we don't have fancy teas here'. The next morning I asked a different member of staff for the same and was bought....peppermint tea! (I had stayed here before and knew the range of teas available). When it's first thing and you're in a hurry to eat and go you don't need the hassle of arguing the toss with the staff. They have a breakfast buffet all laid out so the skill and knowledge of the waiting staff simply needs to extend to teas and coffees and clearing tables, hardly rocket-science.
• You just don't feel special staying here, everything is transactional and no more.

Yet again I find myself staying in a hotel which offers 'the basics and no more' and at times they struggle to get those right.

Hotels of this type need to realise that the public's taste is changing and the need for a more congruent experience is required.

I stay here because I'm on business, would I chose to stay here if I was paying and organising my accommodation? No way. There is better in the Newbury area: The Newbury Manor, whilst not brilliant is a better overall country house hotel experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your response and I am sorry on this occassion all was not satisfactory.I am glad you liked the bedrooms,public areas and parking. We are upgrading the WIFI at present and have just started 2 new reception staff and a Food and Beverage Manager. Training is taking palce in all areas you have mentioned and indeed we are seeing more favourable reports.Hopefully we will see you back here in the near future where I am sure we will meet the standards expected.
Driffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My company normally book me into a different hotel in Newbury, but as they were full I was advised that I would be staying at the Elcot Park Hotel.

I never really thought much about it as this was booked weeks ago, but only last week I stayed at the Mercure Albrighton near Shrewsbury and had a wonderful stay. Would this be as good??

Check in was easy with polite staff. I was directed to my room which was large and airy. Again, I could slide the sash window open to let in some fresh air and get the temperature right, although the room wasn't that stuffy anyway. The en suite was of a good size. Everything worked as it should and I was comfortable.

I went to the bar for a glass of wine and await a colleague. We had a tasty dinner, rounded off with a delicious cheese board. Again the staff were very polite and efficient, albeit a little thin on the ground with bar staff doubling as waiters. I think the trouble is that the place is so large that when people order room service (as the phone calls attested to), it takes so much of the staffs time. Anyway, it wasn't too much of a problem.

And so to bed. Where again I was treated to a bed of monstrously large proportions, firm, comfortable and subsequently enjoyed a really good nights sleep. Fantastic.

Breakfast was again, a lovely affair with quality food, excellent efficient staff and pleasant surroundings.

An easy check out, off to the car and away to the office.

Both Mercure hotels have stood up to be excellent, so I can only praise the group for their recruitment policies, training of staff, quality control and attention to detail. I enjoy my stays.

I would make the suggestion that both hotels have just reached the time where rooms look like needing refurbishment. Decor is starting to look tired and furnishings starting to fade. I do seriously hope that the management begin the upgrade process, to enable travellers like myself to continue enjoying the hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr Rowley,
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased glad you enjoyed your stay.We do have an ongoing maintenance schedule for the bedrooms and are investing at present in these areas. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Tadley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

After having read some negative reviews about this hotel I felt I had to write one.
My son and daughter-in-law have just had their wedding last weekend it was a wonderful experience for everyone who attended. The hotel, rooms and restaurant are lovely with some of the most amazing views of the local countryside.
We would could not fault anything about the hotel, the staff were all very friendly and attentive to our needs, the rooms were very spacious and spotlessly clean, with everything you could possible need, especially the "getting ready" room, which was just amazing.
Breakfast on both mornings was very good with a large selection to suit everyone.
The actual day of the wedding was exceptional, the staff were amazing in the way the made the room transform from dining room to wedding breakfast room, well done to everyone involved.
The only downside was the price of the drinks in the bar (not the fault of the staff), everything was a bit on the expensive side, then when we went downstairs to the function room in the evening the bar was even more expensive! I thought this was a bit naughty as weddings dont come cheap and a considerably amount of money had already been spent. I have to say that this did not detract from the fantastic two days we spent at this hotel. We would certainly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a perfect venue.

Room Tip: All rooms I saw were lovely.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tom K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear 190 WendyR,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor following your son's & daughter in laws recent wedding held here.

We are so happy that all your guests and family enjoyed the weekend and that we lived up to your family expectations for that special day.

As a business we go to great lengths into providing outstanding levels of hospitality to our guests and my team will take great delight into reading that this is exactly what you experienced.

In relation to the difference in bar prices I have instructed our Food & Beverage Manager to look into this and alter any varainces between bars.Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel in the near future.

Steyning
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

There were 11 of us in this Reunion. Six of us have been friends since we met at University in 1957, and we have enjoyed meeting yearly bringing our husbands and staying at huge self catering country houses for three days. This year we decided to try meeting at a hotel, and the Elcot Park Hotel was outstanding.
We had super rooms, lovely meals, and very nice service by all the staff. The weather, fortunately was good, so we could explore the grounds, and the situation was near lots of interesting places, including two excellent National Trust properties.
I can thoroughly recommend this beautiful Hotel. The lounges are spacious, and the Dining Room is well spaced out with tables. We had one long table for all 11 of us (6 seated one side and 5 on the other side) so we were nicely grouped.
Everyone thoroughly enjoyed being at the Hotel, and the whole weekend was a wonderful success.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a glorious view of the grounds.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear 777 Celia,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a positive review on Tripadvisor following your recent reunion with 11 friends here at the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel.

It is always great to read that our guests rate us 5 stars in all areas experienced.Customer feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel when you are next visiting the area.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have visited the hotel on a number of occasions now and I have always been very well looked after and very comfortable there. The staff are polite and attentive, the rooms are clean and comfortable and I have no reason at all to stop going back! Thank you very much to everybody working there for making it such a great place.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tom K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear derekbritten,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a beautiful review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay here. It is always great for the team to read that our customers award us 5 stars and that you are "always looked after".

Needless to say that when you return to our hotel you will experience our usual outstanding levels of hospitality that our team take a great deal of pride in providing.

Thatcham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have just had our wedding at Elcot Park and we can both not speak highly enough of the experience that we have had. From the moment we booked our wedding we were well looked after. Peter the wedding planner tried his best to make the day ours and accommodate us in every way.
Communcation between us and the hotel has been excellent any questions we had were answered through email very quickly. A few months before the wedding we tasted our wedding menu options and any changes we wanted were delt with and on the day the food tasted fabulous.
The day before the wedding we were allowed into the hotel from the morning to bring our decorations over. We had our own room to keep them in and had access keys to this so we could come and go as we please knowing our things were safely locked away. That night most of our family stayed over in the hotel and the lovely relaxing atmosphere helped everyone relax and get into a great mood for the wedding. I was able to stay in a fabulous room that was massive a great 'getting ready room' with my mother and sisters and on the morning of the wedding everything just became seamless. It was all i had imagined it to be and more.
The staff could not do enough for us everyone of them greeted us with a smile and asked how we were and if all was ok.
THe rest of the day seemed like a blur as it whizzed by but that was because i had so much fun and everything just worked seamlessly. There were a few things the hotel needed me to check in the wedding breakfast room and as i went to check them i wanted things changed slightly and they did it no problem. Everything i asked appeared to be doable even when we thought the dj wasn't going to turn up Peter was on the phone to someone else as a back up plan (but luckily he arrived) Thats the kind of great personal service this hotel has to offer.
Our rooms were beautiul and food perfect.
We highly reccommned this to anyone considering having their wedding here.
Professional staff, comfortable retreat and beautiful setting.
We are throughly looking forward to coming back soon!
Many Thanks Elcot
Rosanna and Greig

Room Tip: Room 22 for the fab getting ready room!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Rosanna W,

Thank you for posting such a beautiful review on Tripadvisor following your recent wedding reception held here.

I will certainly ensure that all our team are aware of such positive feedback and it was great to read that Peter our Wedding Coordinator received a special mention in your review.I know that Peter will take a great deal of inspiration from your kind words.

It is always very pleasing when our customers award us 5 stars as I know our team here go that bit further to enhance our customers experience.

I am so happy to read that your wedding was a great successs and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Tom Keaveny

Been to Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel? Share your experiences!